ASUN Football

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

ASUN Football

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:19 pm

So they are getting ready to make a big move in FCS:
Big South - Kennesaw State, North Alabama - Move Football Back to ASUN
FBS - Liberty - Stays FBS Independent
Pioneer League - Stetson - Stays FCS Pioneer

U Central Arkansas is joining in 2021 from the Southland
EKU twitted and retracted that UCA, EKU and JSU would join ASUN 1 July 2021 and that ASUN would begin sponsoring FCS football in the fall and be AQ for the playoffs. Well to my count, that is 5 teams in a conference that needs 6 to qualify for the Autobid. So someone is is coming over TBA.
And then EKU pulled all the tweets off the page and it did a facebook disappear.

More to follow:

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: ASUN Football

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:21 pm

WOW the plot thickens for next fall.
ASUN teams will plan in WAC for one year and then join the ASUN.
Jacksonville State is expected to join an ASUN conference that will also include North Alabama, Kennesaw State and Lipscomb, among other schools.

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/01/jacks ... -asun.html
Regarding the “conference partnership,” reports indicate the ASUN and WAC could form a partnership for the 2021 fall season only. In this scenario, UCA, EKU, and JSU would play a schedule in the newly-formed WAC, which would give the WAC enough teams to earn AQ status. North Alabama and Kennesaw State would stay in the Big South in 2021.

This scenario would allow the ASUN to find a sixth team for 2022 and have enough teams to get an auto-bid while giving the WAC enough teams for a 2021 auto-bid. The WAC will be a seven-team conference, but Southern Utah isn’t joining until 2022, and Tarleton State and Dixie State are still transitioning to Division I.

Essentially, an ASUN-WAC partnership, while it hasn’t been made official or confirmed yet, would allow all of these teams switching conferences to play in a league with an auto-bid for the 2021 fall season.

ASUN commissioner Ted Gumbart says details regarding AQ affiliations will be announced on Feb. 23.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back