Dabo Swinney/Clemson

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Dabo Swinney/Clemson

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Man, I sure have gotten sick of this guy and, by association, his team in a relatively short period of time. He's a bit too much of a know-it-all, whiner for my tastes. This deal where he's saying FSU is ducking their game is lame, IMHO. I really liked him and his team when they were getting good. So nice to have some other teams cycle up to the top besides the old guard (Alabama, Ohio St., USC, Oklahoma, Notre Dame) holding down all the top spots.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: Dabo Swinney/Clemson

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:34 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:34 pm
Man, I sure have gotten sick of this guy and, by association, his team in a relatively short period of time. He's a bit too much of a know-it-all, whiner for my tastes. This deal where he's saying FSU is ducking their game is lame, IMHO. I really liked him and his team when they were getting good. So nice to have some other teams cycle up to the top besides the old guard (Alabama, Ohio St., USC, Oklahoma, Notre Dame) holding down all the top spots.
If you think Dabo is whiney, then you must really dislike Saban. He whines at refs more than any coach in the history of coaching.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:51 pm

Dabo wasn’t wrong with what he said though. They went by the book.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:28 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:51 pm
I'm not sure what you mean, but...
Kirk Herbstreit, who has two sons playing at Clemson, didn't defend Swinny. In fact, he gave a perfectly viable reason for FSU to postpone the game. Herbstreit said that since they have no way of knowing who the player is and whether or not he was in contact with fellow players all week, they have no way of knowing if the other players are non-symptomatic carriers.

I don't like FSU, so I have no reason to defend them in that regard, but I just don't see the problem Swinny is having.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:54 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Probably not shocking, but I completely disagree. Clemson has been extremely lax in their COVID protocols since this summer, actually let a kid that was positive travel with the team to Florida, and has generally treated this whole ordeal more as a suggestion than as a rule. Like the rules or not, they are still rules, and I don't think Clemson has done a very good job of adhering to them. I'm certainly no FSU apologist, but I don't blame them for canceling the game - although, I will say, it came a bit too late once both teams were already on the field warming up.

GO CATS GO!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:08 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:54 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Probably not shocking, but I completely disagree. Clemson has been extremely lax in their COVID protocols since this summer, actually let a kid that was positive travel with the team to Florida, and has generally treated this whole ordeal more as a suggestion than as a rule. Like the rules or not, they are still rules, and I don't think Clemson has done a very good job of adhering to them. I'm certainly no FSU apologist, but I don't blame them for canceling the game - although, I will say, it came a bit too late once both teams were already on the field warming up.
Why do we disagree a lot? I haven't noticed if so.

I'm just saying, according to the rules put in place months ago, that the conference agreed on, in order to try and play football games, they didn't do anything wrong. The kid was tested all week and tested negative. It wasn't until a Friday test came back positive on Saturday. They sent the kid away to quarantine. Again, following the guidelines laid out months ago.

From the little reading I have done, it seems that several teams throughout the country have ran into similar issues, and in every case the game was still played. It's a slippery slope when we lay out rules, and then we stop being consistent.

It should be noted I don't give a crap about Clemson of Florida St. Don't care about the ACC. I'm just saying based on the little research I have done, and reading about teams that had to cancel their games vs teams that were able to play games after positive cases....I don't think Dabo was wrong in what he said. As whiney as he comes across, it seems he did what was asked and did what other schools have been doing for 2 months now.

One final thought. I can assure you that if the records were reversed, and FSU was undefeated vying for a spot in the National Championship game....this game would have been played. :wink:

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:05 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:08 am
BozoneCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

I'm just saying, according to the rules put in place months ago, that the conference agreed on, in order to try and play football games, they didn't do anything wrong. The kid was tested all week and tested negative. It wasn't until a Friday test came back positive on Saturday. They sent the kid away to quarantine. Again, following the guidelines laid out months ago.

From the little reading I have done, it seems that several teams throughout the country have ran into similar issues, and in every case the game was still played. It's a slippery slope when we lay out rules, and then we stop being consistent.

It should be noted I don't give a crap about Clemson of Florida St. Don't care about the ACC. I'm just saying based on the little research I have done, and reading about teams that had to cancel their games vs teams that were able to play games after positive cases....I don't think Dabo was wrong in what he said. As whiney as he comes across, it seems he did what was asked and did what other schools have been doing for 2 months now.

One final thought. I can assure you that if the records were reversed, and FSU was undefeated vying for a spot in the National Championship game....this game would have been played. :wink:
/endthread

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:27 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Lol, no I don’t think we disagree much. Mostly only on occasion about the COVID issues. Otherwise, 👊👊.

Dabo just has played out the “ahh shucks” gig a little too much. I don’t disagree that if FSU was halfway decent, there’s certainly at the very least a good chance that the game would have been played. Which shouldn’t matter, but we all know it does. I just feel like Clemson has played a little too loose with the COVID rules pretty much since Day 1, so they kind of only have themselves to blame.

GO CATS GO!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:07 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:27 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Lol, no I don’t think we disagree much. Mostly only on occasion about the COVID issues. Otherwise, 👊👊.

Dabo just has played out the “ahh shucks” gig a little too much. I don’t disagree that if FSU was halfway decent, there’s certainly at the very least a good chance that the game would have been played. Which shouldn’t matter, but we all know it does. I just feel like Clemson has played a little too loose with the COVID rules pretty much since Day 1, so they kind of only have themselves to blame.
I agree with everything you said.

And I think we agree on Covid more than you think. My stance on that isn't too crazy. I just believe we need to take in account a lot more factors in fighting this virus and think about ALL lives that are being ruined. But we've hammered that to no end!

Happy Thanksgiving!