Quality of FBS Games

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Quality of FBS Games

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:22 pm

It’s been a busy fall, and I just tuned in for my first Saturday games.

Has the whole season been this bad? SMU, Cincinnati, and BYU as borderline top 10 teams?

If this is typical for 2020, then the Cats should have tried to plan an FBS schedule. I give the dudes credit for trying their best in difficult times...but The product on the field (at least today)is unbelievably bad. The Bizon might compete for a playoff spot this year.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: Quality of FBS Games

Post by The Butcher » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:40 am

Put it into perspective; Indiana beat Penn State.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:02 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:22 pm

Has the whole season been this bad? SMU, Cincinnati, and BYU as borderline top 10 teams?

If this is typical for 2020, then the Cats should have tried to plan an FBS schedule. I give the dudes credit for trying their best in difficult times...but The product on the field (at least today)is unbelievably bad. The Bizon might compete for a playoff spot this year.
No. It's called the pool of teams that the voters can see play is a lot less (with pac 12 and big 10 just starting up) and therefore the polls get a bit funky. Sure there have been some clunkers, but the Big 12 in particular has had it's share of good games, including any games Iowa State, and Kansas State have played. The red river rivalry was a 5 overtime thriller. You've just been missing out.

I caught some of that Cincy-SMU game last weekend, they stymied a high powered SMU offense. Buechele was under pressure all game long.

Also, BYU had a high preseason ranking to begin with based off returning talent and I just happened to catch an article mentioning that their 2020 schedule was considered by Cougar nation as one of their best of all time. Enter 'Rona and their schedule got wiped out. So they've just been smashing a bunch of nobodies instead, we'll see how far it gets them.

If you can't tell, I'm a CFB nut. Haven't watched the NFL in years. It's boring, wash, rinse, repeat, same old same old. CFB has so much more variety, in offenses, defenses, schemes, etc.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:06 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:02 pm
onceacat wrote:

No. It's called the pool of teams that the voters can see play is a lot less (with pac 12 and big 10 just starting up) and therefore the polls get a bit funky. Sure there have been some clunkers, but the Big 12 in particular has had it's share of good games, including any games Iowa State, and Kansas State have played. The red river rivalry was a 5 overtime thriller. You've just been missing out.

I caught some of that Cincy-SMU game last weekend, they stymied a high powered SMU offense. Buechele was under pressure all game long.

Also, BYU had a high preseason ranking to begin with based off returning talent and I just happened to catch an article mentioning that their 2020 schedule was considered by Cougar nation as one of their best of all time. Enter 'Rona and their schedule got wiped out. So they've just been smashing a bunch of nobodies instead, we'll see how far it gets them.

If you can't tell, I'm a CFB nut. Haven't watched the NFL in years. It's boring, wash, rinse, repeat, same old same old. CFB has so much more variety, in offenses, defenses, schemes, etc.
I watched the OT of the RRR a few weeks ago, and it was fun.

But, just to key in on the SMU-Cinci game, yeah, it was a good matchup. But it wasn’t Top 10 football. Not by a long stretch. Maybe when the Pac 12 & Big 10 get up to speed, it will knock some of these marginal teams down where they belong.

Imean, a year ago, Utah was #8, OU was #10. Either of those teams 2nd strings would have made mincemeat out of Cinci or BYU (or Minnesota, or maybe even a Michigan State,although those teams were playing game #1) this season.

I think. Maybe I’ve got unreasonable expectations.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:06 am

onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:06 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
onceacat wrote:

I watched the OT of the RRR a few weeks ago, and it was fun.

But, just to key in on the SMU-Cinci game, yeah, it was a good matchup. But it wasn’t Top 10 football. Not by a long stretch. Maybe when the Pac 12 & Big 10 get up to speed, it will knock some of these marginal teams down where they belong.

Imean, a year ago, Utah was #8, OU was #10. Either of those teams 2nd strings would have made mincemeat out of Cinci or BYU (or Minnesota, or maybe even a Michigan State,although those teams were playing game #1) this season.

I think. Maybe I’ve got unreasonable expectations.
Fair point.

I think that has something to do with it, no warm up games. I mean, Michigan State lost to Rutgers. Ouch...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:24 am

grizzh8r wrote:
onceacat wrote:

I started off that way, super excited that CFB was back but it become clear to me it was kind of a bastardized season. I lost interest a lot quicker than I expected to. Plus CFB without fans takes away one of if not the best parts of CFB.

Inversely I've been watching more NFL than I have in a while, not sure why. I've been able to catch more Rams games than I have in previous years, so maybe that's it, maybe they are actually going to be good again so that certainly helps, but I've caught myself watching some other NFL games as well.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:40 am

I have not watched any nfl this year other than when family is at the house, there have been two get-togethers. Really miss not watching my RAMS. As I have probably said before, a FAN since 1953... But here is a headline I saw last night.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/1 ... r-history/

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:39 am

RickRund wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:40 am
I have not watched any nfl this year other than when family is at the house, there have been two get-togethers. Really miss not watching my RAMS. As I have probably said before, a FAN since 1953... But here is a headline I saw last night.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/1 ... r-history/
You're missing out! I know you have your reasons and let's not get into that, but the team is pretty fun to watch - I mean Aaron Donald is worth the price of admission alone. If McVay could stop stepping on his own toes they have the talent to win the division.

I still have an Isaac Bruce jersey somewhere, my all-time favorite Ram.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast