SUU to the WAC...?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: SUU to the WAC...?

Post by John K » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:32 pm

I really don't care that much one way or the other, whether or not SUU stays in the BSC, except that having an even number of teams makes scheduling a lot easier, especially for basketball, but somewhat for football as well.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:49 pm

It's only surprising to me in that SUU tried so hard for so long to get into the Big Sky-and I remember how happy they were when they got in. But the WAC make sense geographically for them and especially with Dixie State joining that league as well. That will be a nice little rivalry. I think they tried, but I don't think the SUU-Weber State rivalry really generated too much heat. The good news is, the WAC will provide some much needed regional out of conference competition for the Big Sky.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:29 pm

latest article SLC news:

http://www.ksl.com/article/50063697/sou ... ll-revival

"That's where the big target comes in: Weber State.

According to several sources with knowledge of the situation, conference members both current and future have engaged with the Wildcats about joining SUU in the Western Athletic Conference and leaving the Big Sky behind. Nothing has been formalized, and a decision on such a move is not imminent, according to a source.

To be clear, Weber State doesn't need to bolt for a new league — it's won eight football titles in its 57-year history in the Big Sky, including a championship or co-championship in each of the past three seasons. But a move to the WAC could provide other benefits for the Wildcats."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:18 pm

Would Weber really like to break bread with Dixie State? I would think they'd have enough institutional arrogance to not go there. I think the Big Sky charter members along with NAU and EWU will stick together. But who knows? The WAC with New Mexico State, Grand Canyon, and Seattle U will be a better basketball conference than the Big Sky-but also a lot harder to make the NCAA tournament-as New Mexico State usually dominates...and it will still be a one-bid league.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:19 pm

I was forgetting weber, I think they do jump. That makes 8 team football league with utah and texas teams. I don't see the WAC ever getting FBS status, but will be too tier FCS league and good non conference games for BSC. Maybe take NAU with them.
When the reshuffle happens, and the midmajors reshuffle, WAC and BSC will be in the top tier.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:52 pm

Will this conference get an autobid?

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:19 am

CatBot wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:52 pm
If they get to the 6 eligible teams. Dixie state and tarleton don't count until 2024 unless the NCAA grants a waiver , and they might. But if the southland and the MEAC continue on their decline, there may be two bids available.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:17 am

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:19 am
CatBot wrote:
If they get to the 6 eligible teams. Dixie state and tarleton don't count until 2024 unless the NCAA grants a waiver , and they might. But if the southland and the MEAC continue on their decline, there may be two bids available.
Six eligible looks like a good possibility with the Texas contingent. Are you saying there are a fixed number of autobids if no conferences drop out or are forced out? In that case, would the WAC be left out or would they decrease the number of at-large bids?

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:20 am

CatBot wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:17 am
Montanabob wrote:
CatBot wrote:
Six eligible looks like a good possibility with the Texas contingent. Are you saying there are a fixed number of autobids if no conferences drop out or are forced out? In that case, would the WAC be left out or would they decrease the number of at-large bids?
4 texas, suu make 5, how are you getting 6? NMSU doesn't count. Weber would make 6 but they haven't said a word yet.
All FCS eligible conferences get an auto bid. It would decrease the at large. Even the Ivy league has an auto bid, they choose not to play so there is one more at large.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:29 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:20 am
CatBot wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
CatBot wrote:
4 texas, suu make 5, how are you getting 6? NMSU doesn't count. Weber would make 6 but they haven't said a word yet.
All FCS eligible conferences get an auto bid. It would decrease the at large. Even the Ivy league has an auto bid, they choose not to play so there is one more at large.
I don't know any specifics, but I strongly suspect many conversations are happening behind closed Zoom windows.
The COVID budget crunch has created very real incentives for universities to consider all possibilities, and the WAC narrative is probably very compelling. San Diego is as likely as anybody even though there's no chatter at this point, and I have a feeling NAU would really like to save on their travel budget and probably contend for more championships.

Anyway, my point is there's probably more we don't know than we do know as of today. I just wanted clarification on the autobid policy.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:40 pm

CatBot wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:29 pm
Montanabob wrote:
CatBot wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
CatBot wrote:
I don't know any specifics, but I strongly suspect many conversations are happening behind closed Zoom windows.
The COVID budget crunch has created very real incentives for universities to consider all possibilities, and the WAC narrative is probably very compelling. San Diego is as likely as anybody even though there's no chatter at this point, and I have a feeling NAU would really like to save on their travel budget and probably contend for more championships.

Anyway, my point is there's probably more we don't know than we do know as of today. I just wanted clarification on the autobid policy.
As much as I would love to see San Diego move from the pioneer to WAC, they have repeatedly said no to scholarships. If they did offer scholarships, they would get some awesome FCS talent.

Montanabob

Re: SUU to the WAC...? NA

Post by Montanabob » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:06 pm

Maybe.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:48 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:40 pm
CatBot wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
CatBot wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
CatBot wrote:

As much as I would love to see San Diego move from the pioneer to WAC, they have repeatedly said no to scholarships. If they did offer scholarships, they would get some awesome FCS talent.
I was curious about USD so I looked a little closer. They have awful facilities. The football stadium will only seat 6,000.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:31 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:48 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:40 pm
CatBot wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
CatBot wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
CatBot wrote:

I was curious about USD so I looked a little closer. They have awful facilities. The football stadium will only seat 6,000.
I don't know that the WAC would take football only, but the 2 affiliates and USD would do ok in WACd football and save travel money.
I know they say they don't do scholarships in the pioneer League, but all of the schools say this:

University Of San Diego is located in San Diego, CA and the Football program competes in the Pioneer Football League conference.
University Of San Diego does offer athletic scholarships for Football. Need-based and academic scholarships are available for student-athletes. Athletic scholarships are available for NCAA Division I, NCAA Division II, NAIA and NJCAA. On average, 34% of all student-athletes receive athletic scholarships.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:38 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:20 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:38 pm
And so it begins...

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:52 am

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel
Replying to
@PeteThamel
The WAC is expected to add two more schools in the coming months. There’s a mix of DII and current FCS institutions being vetted by commissioner Jeff Hurd. The long-term goal of the league is to elevate the WAC back to FBS football later this decade. 2/3

So they expect to move to FBS, probably about the time the Power 5 break away and leave the G5 or Gmore to fend for themselves. About the same time I expect BSC to move up to FBS and the Mid Majors splits off the dead wood conferences, like the rust belt.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:18 am

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:11 am

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:18 am
It is official.
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS
So they plan on 2022, giving them some time to get another member that is full FCS to get a playoff berth or give the NCAA time to grant a waiver for Dixie or Tarleton which the WAC have already said they intend to apply for.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:25 pm

WOW the plot thickens for next fall.
ASUN teams will plan in WAC for one year and then join the ASUN.
Jacksonville State is expected to join an ASUN conference that will also include North Alabama, Kennesaw State and Lipscomb, among other schools.

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/01/jacks ... -asun.html
Regarding the “conference partnership,” reports indicate the ASUN and WAC could form a partnership for the 2021 fall season only. In this scenario, UCA, EKU, and JSU would play a schedule in the newly-formed WAC, which would give the WAC enough teams to earn AQ status. North Alabama and Kennesaw State would stay in the Big South in 2021.

This scenario would allow the ASUN to find a sixth team for 2022 and have enough teams to get an auto-bid while giving the WAC enough teams for a 2021 auto-bid. The WAC will be a seven-team conference, but Southern Utah isn’t joining until 2022, and Tarleton State and Dixie State are still transitioning to Division I.

Essentially, an ASUN-WAC partnership, while it hasn’t been made official or confirmed yet, would allow all of these teams switching conferences to play in a league with an auto-bid for the 2021 fall season.

ASUN commissioner Ted Gumbart says details regarding AQ affiliations will be announced on Feb. 23.