Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4403
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by RickRund » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:51 am

And he wore that t-shirt while on a fishing trip with his sons (if I read the story correctly). Now one of his p!ayers is ticked off. Again, for wearing a totally clean t-shirt. Yep, can't wear it as it doesn't fit the narrative.

https://flagandcross.com/football-playe ... e-t-shirt/



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1243
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:40 am

Clearly protected under 1st amendment rights. If you can burn a flag, you can wear a T-shirt.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4498
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:18 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:51 am
And he wore that t-shirt while on a fishing trip with his sons (if I read the story correctly). Now one of his p!ayers is ticked off. Again, for wearing a totally clean t-shirt. Yep, can't wear it as it doesn't fit the narrative.

https://flagandcross.com/football-playe ... e-t-shirt/
Nothing illegal with what he did. But in light of our times, it was no doubt insensitive, and at the very least tone-deaf. Which is why he had to address it immediately or it really would have been an issue.

Truthfully, I would have respected his stance more had he not backtracked the very next day. But he knows that would have been a death sentence. Lets face it, the guy has a great gig going. Other than the mullet and "I'm a Man, I'm 40!" hot take ten years ago he's largely irrelevant. He makes millions of dollars and doesn't win a ton. And the games he does win are on the backs of a largely black roster. He had no choice but to address the issue.

Is it really that bad that a white guy who makes millions on the services of black guys would at least try to NOT do something perceived as offensive? I don't know why it's an issue.

It's no different than the all lives matter crap. Of COURSE all lives matter. And if I ever heard anyone say that "BLack LIves Matter More Than White LIves" I would take HUGE offense. But that's not what they're saying. And anyone even pretending to listen to the facts should understand that. But they are a group that overall is struggling in this country. They need support from everyone right now. That's all it's about, listening and supporting.

I saw a post on Facebook last week. Wish I could have saved it. It basically said when the Boston Marathon bombing occurred, suddenly we were all "Boston Strong". Just a sign of support and unity. We didn't hear people from other cities bitch about how ALL cities are strong. Because we were smart enough to know that wasn't the point.

When a lunatic decided to open fire on concert-goers in Vegas killing hundreds, we all "Stood with Vegas". Of course we didn't hear people whining then about how we should stand with ALL cities because they all have issues. Because we knew that wasn't the point. We stood by them as a sign of compassion, understanding, and unity.

When we dedicate entire months and fundraising to breast cancer, we don't hear people crying out that other forms of cancer matter too! Because we know that's not the point. Other than Covid-19, I haven't heard anyone suggest that one form of dying is worse than another. :wink: (Had to slip that in there)

The point is we know all lives matter. Though that is a completely different argument anyway as I could cite countless examples that suggest otherwise. But that is a topic for another day. The point is that at the very least it is tone deaf to even feel the need to say all lives matter. Because all that is doing is making an argument against the fact that black lives matter. There is no other reason. And if there was one logical reason for doing it, then why do we all rally and support one another during trying times? We wouldn't. We'd be offended with simple slogans like Boston Strong and I Stand with Vegas because in some way...it means we care more about those places than everywhere else. But that's not the case in those situations and it's not the case with BLM. And until people start recognizing that, instead of looking for arguments and comparisons showing that life is tough for white people too....we're never going anywhere in this situation.

It really shouldn't be so difficult to listen and sympathize with minorities, and understand that it just might be possible that life is tougher for them than it is for me; a white male.



91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:11 am

So OAN is apparently a conservative news source? I'm not aware of them, but if that's the case, what is offensive about that?
Would this even be a thing if he wore a CNN shirt?
Sounds like more political hypocrisy.


Image
24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3749
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 am

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:11 am
So OAN is apparently a conservative news source? I'm not aware of them, but if that's the case, what is offensive about that?
Would this even be a thing if he wore a CNN shirt?
Sounds like more political hypocrisy.
From what I've gathered, it's considered a biased right wing news organization. But hell, if he had been wearing a Fox News shirt, same thing happens.

It's all stupid.



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10034
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:09 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:11 am
So OAN is apparently a conservative news source? I'm not aware of them, but if that's the case, what is offensive about that?
Would this even be a thing if he wore a CNN shirt?
Sounds like more political hypocrisy.
From what I've gathered, it's considered a biased right wing news organization. But hell, if he had been wearing a Fox News shirt, same thing happens.

It's all stupid.
Fox is a conservative new site. It's my understanding that OAN is more of an EXTREME Right Wing propaganda site closer aligned to Alex Jones info wars and/or the Glenn Beck streaming channel (is that still a thing?). Also, if this was a year ago, I'm not sure anyone would have batted an eye. Reminds me of a guy I know who wore a "cold dead hands" t-shirt the day (or two) after a school shooting. Timing is everything.



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3749
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:49 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:09 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:11 am
So OAN is apparently a conservative news source? I'm not aware of them, but if that's the case, what is offensive about that?
Would this even be a thing if he wore a CNN shirt?
Sounds like more political hypocrisy.
From what I've gathered, it's considered a biased right wing news organization. But hell, if he had been wearing a Fox News shirt, same thing happens.

It's all stupid.
Fox is a conservative new site. It's my understanding that OAN is more of an EXTREME Right Wing propaganda site closer aligned to Alex Jones info wars and/or the Glenn Beck streaming channel (is that still a thing?). Also, if this was a year ago, I'm not sure anyone would have batted an eye. Reminds me of a guy I know who wore a "cold dead hands" t-shirt the day (or two) after a school shooting. Timing is everything.
Maybe not everybody is like me, but I don't put too much thought into a shirt I take fishing.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4498
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:05 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:49 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:09 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:11 am
So OAN is apparently a conservative news source? I'm not aware of them, but if that's the case, what is offensive about that?
Would this even be a thing if he wore a CNN shirt?
Sounds like more political hypocrisy.
From what I've gathered, it's considered a biased right wing news organization. But hell, if he had been wearing a Fox News shirt, same thing happens.

It's all stupid.
Fox is a conservative new site. It's my understanding that OAN is more of an EXTREME Right Wing propaganda site closer aligned to Alex Jones info wars and/or the Glenn Beck streaming channel (is that still a thing?). Also, if this was a year ago, I'm not sure anyone would have batted an eye. Reminds me of a guy I know who wore a "cold dead hands" t-shirt the day (or two) after a school shooting. Timing is everything.
Maybe not everybody is like me, but I don't put too much thought into a shirt I take fishing.
Which in the case of Gundy was his biggest mistake. No awareness whatsoever from a public figure. One that has made a ton of money off the skills of black athletes.

I haven't heard it suggested that Gundy is racist. I doubt his players think he is. But to not understand how it would be perceived by his black players is a head scratcher and completely unaware of what is taking place all throughout the country.

I guess my take is this. Even if all these black people are totally wrong. Even if there is no racism whatsoever and they are completely overreacting. If there isn't a shred of truth to their claims of ignorance and injustice....as a coach (and the rest of us) don't you at least feel the need to listen to your players? Maybe even pretend to support them? Try to be aware of your actions and what that will do to them?

What he did wasn't illegal. It would have been questionable at any time based on his line of work and his every day relations with young black men. But to do it right now was just flat out stupid and insensitive. And he either recognizes that now which is why he apologized, or he's just saving face. But at least according to his words, he realized how dumb it was.



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10034
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:17 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:05 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:49 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:09 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:11 am
So OAN is apparently a conservative news source? I'm not aware of them, but if that's the case, what is offensive about that?
Would this even be a thing if he wore a CNN shirt?
Sounds like more political hypocrisy.
From what I've gathered, it's considered a biased right wing news organization. But hell, if he had been wearing a Fox News shirt, same thing happens.

It's all stupid.
Fox is a conservative new site. It's my understanding that OAN is more of an EXTREME Right Wing propaganda site closer aligned to Alex Jones info wars and/or the Glenn Beck streaming channel (is that still a thing?). Also, if this was a year ago, I'm not sure anyone would have batted an eye. Reminds me of a guy I know who wore a "cold dead hands" t-shirt the day (or two) after a school shooting. Timing is everything.
Maybe not everybody is like me, but I don't put too much thought into a shirt I take fishing.
Which in the case of Gundy was his biggest mistake. No awareness whatsoever from a public figure. One that has made a ton of money off the skills of black athletes.

I haven't heard it suggested that Gundy is racist. I doubt his players think he is. But to not understand how it would be perceived by his black players is a head scratcher and completely unaware of what is taking place all throughout the country.

I guess my take is this. Even if all these black people are totally wrong. Even if there is no racism whatsoever and they are completely overreacting. If there isn't a shred of truth to their claims of ignorance and injustice....as a coach (and the rest of us) don't you at least feel the need to listen to your players? Maybe even pretend to support them? Try to be aware of your actions and what that will do to them?

What he did wasn't illegal. It would have been questionable at any time based on his line of work and his every day relations with young black men. But to do it right now was just flat out stupid and insensitive. And he either recognizes that now which is why he apologized, or he's just saving face. But at least according to his words, he realized how dumb it was.
nailed it.



91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:39 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:09 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:11 am
So OAN is apparently a conservative news source? I'm not aware of them, but if that's the case, what is offensive about that?
Would this even be a thing if he wore a CNN shirt?
Sounds like more political hypocrisy.
From what I've gathered, it's considered a biased right wing news organization. But hell, if he had been wearing a Fox News shirt, same thing happens.

It's all stupid.
Fox is a conservative new site. It's my understanding that OAN is more of an EXTREME Right Wing propaganda site closer aligned to Alex Jones info wars and/or the Glenn Beck streaming channel (is that still a thing?). Also, if this was a year ago, I'm not sure anyone would have batted an eye. Reminds me of a guy I know who wore a "cold dead hands" t-shirt the day (or two) after a school shooting. Timing is everything.
Where did you get this info? Not saying it's wrong, just curious. Chatted with a brother in law who told me they are a conservative news channel but not as far right as Fox News.
If they were an extreme propaganda channel as you claim, it's hard to believe they'd be carried by the major cable TV providers. (Well that's probably not true, I mean CNN is still carried...)


Image
24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3588
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by Rich K » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:04 am

Wow. Go ahead, click on a link, it won't hurt you:

https://www.oann.com/category/business/
https://www.oann.com/nypd-arrests-man-s ... to-ground/
https://www.oann.com/category/tech/

I'd never payed much attention to them, but I'm not afraid of alternate voices, so I'll give them a look. Given those that seem disturbed about OAN see a racist behind every rock, I'm sure it's not as bad as proclaimed.


Image

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4498
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:50 am

Rich K wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:04 am
Given those that seem disturbed about OAN see a racist behind every rock, I'm sure it's not as bad as proclaimed.
I'm very aware of who they are. And I can see why African Americans would have an issue with some of what they stand for. I don't see racists behind every rock. Far from it. But I also don't think blacks are lying about how they feel either.

As a sports fan, and a fan of the Cats I'm sure you like all of our players. You may be surprised that our black athletes don't see a racist behind every rock either. But I can assure you they're offended by lots of what OAN stands for. And because I can never relate to what a black person feels offended by, rather than telling them they are wrong, or belittle their feelings, I'll try to understand why they feel the way they do.

I think if more people tried to do this, instead of accusing them of "looking for racists", we'd all be better off. Just my opinion, don't expect you to feel the same way.



Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3588
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by Rich K » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:19 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:50 am
Rich K wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:04 am
Given those that seem disturbed about OAN see a racist behind every rock, I'm sure it's not as bad as proclaimed.
I'm very aware of who they are. And I can see why African Americans would have an issue with some of what they stand for. I don't see racists behind every rock. Far from it. But I also don't think blacks are lying about how they feel either.

As a sports fan, and a fan of the Cats I'm sure you like all of our players. You may be surprised that our black athletes don't see a racist behind every rock either. But I can assure you they're offended by lots of what OAN stands for. And because I can never relate to what a black person feels offended by, rather than telling them they are wrong, or belittle their feelings, I'll try to understand why they feel the way they do.

I think if more people tried to do this, instead of accusing them of "looking for racists", we'd all be better off. Just my opinion, don't expect you to feel the same way.
Ok. Let's have it. What specifically is it that "OAN stands for" is objectionable? You say you are "very aware" of who they are this should be easy for you to quickly lay it out.


Image

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5234
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:31 pm

If I were a coach I wouldn't wear anything from any news outlet. You're sure to offend someone. Look at how offended people on here get when you post something from CNN or MSNBC or Fox. That should be enough to cause you to not want to wear one of their shirts. I'd maybe wear an ESPN shirt or any network that has a T-shirt with the word 'sports' underneath or above.

OAN peddles a lot of conspiracy theories during its broadcasts. It's more like a state-run news service. I find that objectionable and I'm sure a lot of people, including white athletes, do too. If he had worn a CNN shirt someone would be offended.

Gundy can wear whatever he wants and people can be offended by it. If he offends enough people, the school can fire him. OAN can hire Gundy. This is America.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4498
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Coach Gundy in hot water for a t-shirt...

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:25 pm

Rich K wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:19 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:50 am
Rich K wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:04 am
Given those that seem disturbed about OAN see a racist behind every rock, I'm sure it's not as bad as proclaimed.
I'm very aware of who they are. And I can see why African Americans would have an issue with some of what they stand for. I don't see racists behind every rock. Far from it. But I also don't think blacks are lying about how they feel either.

As a sports fan, and a fan of the Cats I'm sure you like all of our players. You may be surprised that our black athletes don't see a racist behind every rock either. But I can assure you they're offended by lots of what OAN stands for. And because I can never relate to what a black person feels offended by, rather than telling them they are wrong, or belittle their feelings, I'll try to understand why they feel the way they do.

I think if more people tried to do this, instead of accusing them of "looking for racists", we'd all be better off. Just my opinion, don't expect you to feel the same way.
Ok. Let's have it. What specifically is it that "OAN stands for" is objectionable? You say you are "very aware" of who they are this should be easy for you to quickly lay it out.
Well, I am "very aware" of OAN. They've created headlines a lot in the time since they were created 7 or 8 years ago. A few things off the top of my head that may be considered objectionable.

First considering that a poll suggested that 83% of blacks think that Trump is racist, I assume that any support of him would be offensive to most blacks. That's kind of a given. To be clear, I'm not saying he IS racist, or that their views are correct. I'm saying if you're a network in which Trump has never done anything wrong in his life, there's a chance that blacks may oppose that.

Their take on BLM was terrible. Again, if you are one who thinks that BLM means that white lives DON'T matter, you may not have an issue with that. But it's been said countless times, to anyone willing to listen, BLM isn't saying they matter MORE than whites, or that white lives don't matter. Because of this, if Gundy decided to wear an "All Lives Matter" t-shirt, I imagine many would be offended.

When Trump was in the news for "Grab them by their pussies" comments, rather than condemn those statements, OAN defended him by pointing out ****** behavior from other presidents. I don't know if you have a wife or daughter, but when I heard him say that I couldn't believe it. Does this make him a bad President? I don't think so. But as I was appalled he'd say it, I was equally appalled that it was defended.

They are widely knows for their conspiracy theories in anything that may make Trump, or his administration look bad. Most recently the Buffalo man they accused of being ANTIFA and throwing himself on the ground, despite video evidence showing otherwise.

Your links were in fact legit from what I can tell. I never claimed everything that network does is dishonest. However, I could find links right now showing why so many don't support OAN, especially blacks.

The simple fact is all I'm saying is to me, it makes perfect sense why a black man would be offended when his white coach supports a network that doesn't support blacks. Apparently Gundy agrees because he has apologized and now says he's disgusted with their take on BLM.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that just because of the current climate everything blacks say should be taken as gospel. I'm saying that because we can't relate, being white males, what does it hurt to at least listen to what they are saying offends them?

Now that I tried to answer your question, do you think that everyone that has issues with OAN is "looking for racists behind every rock"? That seems akin to saying ALL lives matter, which is completely missing the point of what is trying to be said.



Post Reply