Hauck gets raise and extension

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

User avatar
BozoneCat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2931
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:15 pm
Location: Boise, ID

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:06 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 pm
Rocky Long and the people in the football department there loved Bobby. Personal knowledge goes a long way. They had Bobby and Brady on staff there, and preferred Bobby.
Ouch, that doesn't speak too highly of Rocky Long. Bobby didn't exactly prove that he's a coaching genius with his stint at UNLV, and we all know his personality flaws. Rocky must have dirt on somebody. :lol:


GO CATS GO!!!

Image

bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3771
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:49 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:06 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 pm
Rocky Long and the people in the football department there loved Bobby. Personal knowledge goes a long way. They had Bobby and Brady on staff there, and preferred Bobby.
Ouch, that doesn't speak too highly of Rocky Long. Bobby didn't exactly prove that he's a coaching genius with his stint at UNLV, and we all know his personality flaws. Rocky must have dirt on somebody. :lol:
Not that I think Bobby is some great coach, but has anybody done well at UNLV?



autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:35 pm

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by autocat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:16 pm

Why are there so many non griz fans have man crushes, get a tingling feeling or experience some erectile dysfunction towards the dear leader in missoula #-o



User avatar
BozoneCat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2931
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:15 pm
Location: Boise, ID

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:34 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:49 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:06 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 pm
Rocky Long and the people in the football department there loved Bobby. Personal knowledge goes a long way. They had Bobby and Brady on staff there, and preferred Bobby.
Ouch, that doesn't speak too highly of Rocky Long. Bobby didn't exactly prove that he's a coaching genius with his stint at UNLV, and we all know his personality flaws. Rocky must have dirt on somebody. :lol:
Not that I think Bobby is some great coach, but has anybody done well at UNLV?
Clearly, no. UNLV is a coaching wasteland. But I still think that if you put someone, say Urban Meyer, over there, he'd find a way to build a successful program. Obviously (despite the fact that personally, I think he's kind of a dirtbag) there are very, very few coaches who are that level of good. But the program actually got worse while Hack was in charge, I think even if he had been marginally successful at improving their W-L record while he was there, it would have been a job well done. I think Hack does well in Missoula because of the advantages they have built in over there with their facilities, not because he's some great coach. Put him in Sacramento or Pocatello and I don't think he'd even sniff a .500 record.


GO CATS GO!!!

Image

Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2641
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:35 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:06 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 pm
Rocky Long and the people in the football department there loved Bobby. Personal knowledge goes a long way. They had Bobby and Brady on staff there, and preferred Bobby.
Ouch, that doesn't speak too highly of Rocky Long. Bobby didn't exactly prove that he's a coaching genius with his stint at UNLV, and we all know his personality flaws. Rocky must have dirt on somebody. :lol:
I was curious about the SDSU rumor so I went to their fan forum. Basically one guy had a man crush on Hauck but even he thought Hauck was a better position coach than head coach😳🤷‍♂️ As for Rocky Long, sounds like he got into a passing match with admin over his choice of assistants. He finally got fed up with the BS and started to look for a Power 5 job as a DC while he was still head coach. Admin got word of his job search and let him go.

Regardless, I didn’t look real hard, but very little talk about Hauck. That is a decent job, good location, fertile recruiting base and they have plans for a new stadium. Hard to believe that any Big Sky coach would pass that opportunity. It is even harder to believe that SDSU would look at Hauck when a proven head coach was already on the staff as a coordinator.



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3771
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:32 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:34 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:49 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:06 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 pm
Rocky Long and the people in the football department there loved Bobby. Personal knowledge goes a long way. They had Bobby and Brady on staff there, and preferred Bobby.
Ouch, that doesn't speak too highly of Rocky Long. Bobby didn't exactly prove that he's a coaching genius with his stint at UNLV, and we all know his personality flaws. Rocky must have dirt on somebody. :lol:
Not that I think Bobby is some great coach, but has anybody done well at UNLV?
Clearly, no. UNLV is a coaching wasteland. But I still think that if you put someone, say Urban Meyer, over there, he'd find a way to build a successful program. Obviously (despite the fact that personally, I think he's kind of a dirtbag) there are very, very few coaches who are that level of good. But the program actually got worse while Hack was in charge, I think even if he had been marginally successful at improving their W-L record while he was there, it would have been a job well done. I think Hack does well in Missoula because of the advantages they have built in over there with their facilities, not because he's some great coach. Put him in Sacramento or Pocatello and I don't think he'd even sniff a .500 record.
I really hate defending Bobby, but he has the best single season record at UNLV since 2000. Things fell off, but he's still a good coach.



User avatar
BozoneCat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2931
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:15 pm
Location: Boise, ID

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:56 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:32 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:34 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:49 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:06 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 pm
Rocky Long and the people in the football department there loved Bobby. Personal knowledge goes a long way. They had Bobby and Brady on staff there, and preferred Bobby.
Ouch, that doesn't speak too highly of Rocky Long. Bobby didn't exactly prove that he's a coaching genius with his stint at UNLV, and we all know his personality flaws. Rocky must have dirt on somebody. :lol:
Not that I think Bobby is some great coach, but has anybody done well at UNLV?
Clearly, no. UNLV is a coaching wasteland. But I still think that if you put someone, say Urban Meyer, over there, he'd find a way to build a successful program. Obviously (despite the fact that personally, I think he's kind of a dirtbag) there are very, very few coaches who are that level of good. But the program actually got worse while Hack was in charge, I think even if he had been marginally successful at improving their W-L record while he was there, it would have been a job well done. I think Hack does well in Missoula because of the advantages they have built in over there with their facilities, not because he's some great coach. Put him in Sacramento or Pocatello and I don't think he'd even sniff a .500 record.
I really hate defending Bobby, but he has the best single season record at UNLV since 2000. Things fell off, but he's still a good coach.
That's fair, I know you're not saying that to be argumentative or anything. I just will agree to disagree. I don't think he left UNLV in better shape than he found it, and overall I would actually say a little worse. I think he's good at coaching special teams, and generally at UM his teams play hard & tough (with the glaring exception of Cat/griz this year, shockingly), but otherwise I don't think he's anything special. Seeing him on the opposing sideline doesn't scare me in the least as a Bobcat fan. He's awful in dealing with the press and other duties that a head coach has to do, anyone that doesn't drool in his lap and bend over for him, he treats with contempt and outright disgust - and that's a pretty important job for a head coach. His W-L record outside of Washington-Bobcat Stadium is actually not great, especially since his return. I'd be pissed and embarrassed if he were the head coach at Montana State, and I think Coach Choate is 10x the coach and 100x the man that Bobby is.


GO CATS GO!!!

Image

Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2641
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:04 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:56 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:32 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:34 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:49 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:06 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 pm
Rocky Long and the people in the football department there loved Bobby. Personal knowledge goes a long way. They had Bobby and Brady on staff there, and preferred Bobby.
Ouch, that doesn't speak too highly of Rocky Long. Bobby didn't exactly prove that he's a coaching genius with his stint at UNLV, and we all know his personality flaws. Rocky must have dirt on somebody. :lol:
Not that I think Bobby is some great coach, but has anybody done well at UNLV?
Clearly, no. UNLV is a coaching wasteland. But I still think that if you put someone, say Urban Meyer, over there, he'd find a way to build a successful program. Obviously (despite the fact that personally, I think he's kind of a dirtbag) there are very, very few coaches who are that level of good. But the program actually got worse while Hack was in charge, I think even if he had been marginally successful at improving their W-L record while he was there, it would have been a job well done. I think Hack does well in Missoula because of the advantages they have built in over there with their facilities, not because he's some great coach. Put him in Sacramento or Pocatello and I don't think he'd even sniff a .500 record.
I really hate defending Bobby, but he has the best single season record at UNLV since 2000. Things fell off, but he's still a good coach.
That's fair, I know you're not saying that to be argumentative or anything. I just will agree to disagree. I don't think he left UNLV in better shape than he found it, and overall I would actually say a little worse. I think he's good at coaching special teams, and generally at UM his teams play hard & tough (with the glaring exception of Cat/griz this year, shockingly), but otherwise I don't think he's anything special. Seeing him on the opposing sideline doesn't scare me in the least as a Bobcat fan. He's awful in dealing with the press and other duties that a head coach has to do, anyone that doesn't drool in his lap and bend over for him, he treats with contempt and outright disgust - and that's a pretty important job for a head coach. His W-L record outside of Washington-Bobcat Stadium is actually not great, especially since his return. I'd be pissed and embarrassed if he were the head coach at Montana State, and I think Coach Choate is 10x the coach and 100x the man that Bobby is.
Well said!



ibleedblue
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by ibleedblue » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:04 pm

We know him and his family a little due to the wife’s friendship with his sis. He’s actually really funny and seems pretty great when I’ve been around him (just a couple times). He gave me hell for being a Bobcat but not in a way I took offense. I think he’s a good coach. He delivered the best performance UM has had in a decade in just his 2nd year back. I think he is going to do well there again. I’d take Choate like someone else mentioned but i think both know what they are doing.



77matcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2499
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by 77matcat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Don’t know Hauck and don’t know how to post pics but though all could enjoy this.
7E4D9413-.jpg

You probably have more class.

Ok. Didn’t work. Was a pic of the Walmart toilet paper section full of griz apparel



ibleedblue
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by ibleedblue » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:31 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:36 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:23 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:12 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:41 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:02 am
Did they really change anything other than expanding the total years? The old contract extensions for 3 years were actually 3 one year contracts renewable every June? That difference is important if a coach is fired or leaves for another job.
Max $ he can make went up to 500k+ as compared to $380k prior. He has automatic bonuses built in for each year he stays, 35k, 40k, then 50k. More $ potential for playoff wins, FBS games, and national championship. Base salary went from 185k to 205k.

I know someone else stated SDSU was not after him. That is incorrect. He could have left to head coach at SDSU for over a million per year. He passed to stay in Missoula. This new negotiation was part of keeping him there. This was relayed directly to me and my wife from his sister (a good friend of my wife).
That is an interesting bit of information on SDSU from Hauck’s sister, but there has been zero info publicly or even rumors surrounding the subject which would be highly unlikely. Also, Brady Hoke was hired for $1 million per year, but the last coach was making $900,000 per year.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/02/10/san- ... 1-million/

Do you really think they bring the former failed UNLV coach for $1 million (more than the incumbent who was very successful), and also choose Hauck over a former Big 10 coach, current coordinator and also past successful coach at SDSU? It just doesn’t make sense. And the SDSU job is a good job. There is no way a Big Sky coach doesn’t jump at that opportunity...
I definitely respect your knowledge and postings here but I can say with confidence you are incorrect on this one. It might not make a ton of sense from us as outsiders looking in but that doesn’t mean it didn’t or couldn’t have happened. I think many forget Hauck was the Associate Head Coach for SDSU (while also handling special teams). They supposedly loved him there and tried hard to keep him there when he was deciding to leave for Missoula. There has been plenty of discussion that this all took place in SDSU circles and in Missoula circles. I heard about it from friends prior to having it confirmed by Bobby’s sister.
All good points. I don’t have any inside information, but it is very hard to believe. Have you ever talked to a colleague who “claims” they were offered a significantly better position elsewhere but they didn’t take it. In the back of your mind you are thinking that not only is this guy not qualified but he would never pass up that kind of opportunity? No disrespect to your sources, but Brady Hoke is ten times more qualified than Bobby for the SDSU head job. Just from a marketing perspective, do you think the SDSU fans would gladly welcome the guy who failed at lowly conference rival UNLV? Doesn’t make sense..
Rocky Long and the people in the football department there loved Bobby. Personal knowledge goes a long way. They had Bobby and Brady on staff there, and preferred Bobby.
I just heard a podcast with Riley Corcoran who confirmed what we were told. He was offered SDSU for a lot of $ and passed. Then renegotiated with UM.



User avatar
seataccat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: Portland or Seattle

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by seataccat » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:20 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:23 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:12 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:41 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:02 am
Did they really change anything other than expanding the total years? The old contract extensions for 3 years were actually 3 one year contracts renewable every June? That difference is important if a coach is fired or leaves for another job.
Max $ he can make went up to 500k+ as compared to $380k prior. He has automatic bonuses built in for each year he stays, 35k, 40k, then 50k. More $ potential for playoff wins, FBS games, and national championship. Base salary went from 185k to 205k.

I know someone else stated SDSU was not after him. That is incorrect. He could have left to head coach at SDSU for over a million per year. He passed to stay in Missoula. This new negotiation was part of keeping him there. This was relayed directly to me and my wife from his sister (a good friend of my wife).
That is an interesting bit of information on SDSU from Hauck’s sister, but there has been zero info publicly or even rumors surrounding the subject which would be highly unlikely. Also, Brady Hoke was hired for $1 million per year, but the last coach was making $900,000 per year.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/02/10/san- ... 1-million/

Do you really think they bring the former failed UNLV coach for $1 million (more than the incumbent who was very successful), and also choose Hauck over a former Big 10 coach, current coordinator and also past successful coach at SDSU? It just doesn’t make sense. And the SDSU job is a good job. There is no way a Big Sky coach doesn’t jump at that opportunity...
I definitely respect your knowledge and postings here but I can say with confidence you are incorrect on this one. It might not make a ton of sense from us as outsiders looking in but that doesn’t mean it didn’t or couldn’t have happened. I think many forget Hauck was the Associate Head Coach for SDSU (while also handling special teams). They supposedly loved him there and tried hard to keep him there when he was deciding to leave for Missoula. There has been plenty of discussion that this all took place in SDSU circles and in Missoula circles. I heard about it from friends prior to having it confirmed by Bobby’s sister.
I would believe his sister about as much as I would believe Bobby, about as far as I could throw them.


"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by iaafan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:10 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:31 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:36 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:23 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:12 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:41 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:02 am
Did they really change anything other than expanding the total years? The old contract extensions for 3 years were actually 3 one year contracts renewable every June? That difference is important if a coach is fired or leaves for another job.
Max $ he can make went up to 500k+ as compared to $380k prior. He has automatic bonuses built in for each year he stays, 35k, 40k, then 50k. More $ potential for playoff wins, FBS games, and national championship. Base salary went from 185k to 205k.

I know someone else stated SDSU was not after him. That is incorrect. He could have left to head coach at SDSU for over a million per year. He passed to stay in Missoula. This new negotiation was part of keeping him there. This was relayed directly to me and my wife from his sister (a good friend of my wife).
That is an interesting bit of information on SDSU from Hauck’s sister, but there has been zero info publicly or even rumors surrounding the subject which would be highly unlikely. Also, Brady Hoke was hired for $1 million per year, but the last coach was making $900,000 per year.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/02/10/san- ... 1-million/

Do you really think they bring the former failed UNLV coach for $1 million (more than the incumbent who was very successful), and also choose Hauck over a former Big 10 coach, current coordinator and also past successful coach at SDSU? It just doesn’t make sense. And the SDSU job is a good job. There is no way a Big Sky coach doesn’t jump at that opportunity...
I definitely respect your knowledge and postings here but I can say with confidence you are incorrect on this one. It might not make a ton of sense from us as outsiders looking in but that doesn’t mean it didn’t or couldn’t have happened. I think many forget Hauck was the Associate Head Coach for SDSU (while also handling special teams). They supposedly loved him there and tried hard to keep him there when he was deciding to leave for Missoula. There has been plenty of discussion that this all took place in SDSU circles and in Missoula circles. I heard about it from friends prior to having it confirmed by Bobby’s sister.
All good points. I don’t have any inside information, but it is very hard to believe. Have you ever talked to a colleague who “claims” they were offered a significantly better position elsewhere but they didn’t take it. In the back of your mind you are thinking that not only is this guy not qualified but he would never pass up that kind of opportunity? No disrespect to your sources, but Brady Hoke is ten times more qualified than Bobby for the SDSU head job. Just from a marketing perspective, do you think the SDSU fans would gladly welcome the guy who failed at lowly conference rival UNLV? Doesn’t make sense..
Rocky Long and the people in the football department there loved Bobby. Personal knowledge goes a long way. They had Bobby and Brady on staff there, and preferred Bobby.
I just heard a podcast with Riley Corcoran who confirmed what we were told. He was offered SDSU for a lot of $ and passed. Then renegotiated with UM.
Sounds more like he got offered, then told UM and then renegotiated. I don't think he passed on SDSU until after he talked to UM. He probably wouldn't have taken his son with him to SDSU and if he did his son probably doesn't beat out whoever's at SDSU, so that played into it.



Post Reply