Eastern Washington Looking at Cutting Football and/or Athletics

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Eastern Washington Looking at Cutting Football and/or Athletics

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:02 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:41 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:06 pm
Finally decided to venture off the hot mess that is the football board to see what else BN is chatting about, thought this might be something worth discussing. Nope, more political fighting.
How is something pointing out that looting and thuggery in the name of "protesting" is wrong, political?
I’m not sure what the rest of this thread is about, I stopped at “pansy liberal”. Sounds like it didn’t get back on track to EWU finances.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:50 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:36 am
Who would we rather see teach the Constitution: Barack Obama/Sonya Sotomayor or Larry Arnn/Antonin Scalia. Someone that feels it changes with the times or someone that holds to its originality. Same can be said for the Bible. One of our youth group boys once said, well, it is 2010 and things have changed. Can the courts write law?
Good point, put me in the camp with it needs to evolve with the times. I think we should bring back Thomas Jefferson who believed it should be re-written from scratch every 19 years.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:51 pm

Well EWU lost their $750k Florida payday today with the SEC going conference only. The hits keep coming.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:09 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:51 pm
Well EWU lost their $750k Florida payday today with the SEC going conference only. The hits keep coming.
I really don't think there is going to be a fall football season...

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:04 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:09 am
CelticCat wrote:
Punt!
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/ ... nt-of-ewu/

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:40 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:04 pm
The Butcher wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Punt!
This part of the article makes you wonder how she got the job at EWU:

Before taking the helm of EWU in 2014, Cullinan resigned as president of Southern Oregon University after an overwhelmingly poor performance evaluation and a no-confidence vote by the SOU faculty. Professors at the time accused her and other administrators of financial mismanagement.

Sport costs at EWU seems to be one of several issues plaguing the school.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:07 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:40 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:04 pm
The Butcher wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Punt!
This part of the article makes you wonder how she got the job at EWU:

Before taking the helm of EWU in 2014, Cullinan resigned as president of Southern Oregon University after an overwhelmingly poor performance evaluation and a no-confidence vote by the SOU faculty. Professors at the time accused her and other administrators of financial mismanagement.

Sport costs at EWU seems to be one of several issues plaguing the school.
Yes, just a bit surprising.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:31 pm

Very important moment for EWU athletics. If the new President (interim right now) isn't a sports guy, this may be the end of EWU football as we know it. All it takes is one President who is anti-sports.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri May 21, 2021 3:27 pm

https://www.kxly.com/interim-president- ... _kxly4news

Looks like Eastern is going to stay D1 for now.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri May 21, 2021 4:05 pm

It gives them 30 days to pony up some money from donors or the state or it's goodbye football.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat May 22, 2021 7:43 am

Makes you realize how fortunate the Montana schools are in terms of fan and alumni support.

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:48 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:43 am
Makes you realize how fortunate the Montana schools are in terms of fan and alumni support.
Yes.
Back in the late 1960's Boise and Billings were both thriving and about the same size. Boise State had rapidly left the JC ranks, played a couple of seasons as a NCAA independent, joined the Big Sky and immediately had an impact. Boise State hitched their star to the football program and went from there. There were those who thought Eastern Montana would take one look at that and quickly follow suit. Never happened. But imagine if something like that had taken place......MSU Billings became the big dog school, was in the Mountain West, playing an FCS schedule....imagine. Would the Cats and Griz still be selling out?....or in the same shape as ISU and UofI?

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:25 pm

FYI wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:48 pm
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Yes.
Back in the late 1960's Boise and Billings were both thriving and about the same size. Boise State had rapidly left the JC ranks, played a couple of seasons as a NCAA independent, joined the Big Sky and immediately had an impact. Boise State hitched their star to the football program and went from there. There were those who thought Eastern Montana would take one look at that and quickly follow suit. Never happened. But imagine if something like that had taken place......MSU Billings became the big dog school, was in the Mountain West, playing an FCS schedule....imagine. Would the Cats and Griz still be selling out?....or in the same shape as ISU and UofI?
Your statement surprised me, so I looked it up. Billings was actually a lot bigger than Boise in 1960.

Certainly an interesting scenario.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:50 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:25 pm
FYI wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Yes.
Your statement surprised me, so I looked it up. Billings was actually a lot bigger than Boise in 1960.

Boise's growth is 100% due to the age of the personal computer, it's the Silicon Valley of the Mountain West. The Micron campus is huge. Many of the people I know who work in Boise are in the Tech sector. Micron, HP, Sensus, and other Tech companies that have operations in Boise, just because it is a large regional Tech hub. Boise State University just happened to be in the right place at the right time when the microchip industry boom hit and the University was able to leverage the success of the Tech industry into growing their university and brand. Billings had no Micron, nor the funding supplied for the humble beginnings of Micron in the form of J.R. Simplot and therefore EMC never had that shot at being "another BSU".

As much as I hate to say it, Bozeman and MSU likely stands the best chance of any current FCS school to emulate Boise/BSU. IMO, in the age of remote working (and with the airport one of the fastest growing in the nation) Bozeman and the Gallatin Valley in 20 year's time will probably look a lot like Boise and the Treasure Valley is now. Just with better mountains and more rain, not to mention a better university...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:07 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:50 pm
onceacat wrote:
FYI wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Yes.

Boise's growth is 100% due to the age of the personal computer, it's the Silicon Valley of the Mountain West. The Micron campus is huge. Many of the people I know who work in Boise are in the Tech sector. Micron, HP, Sensus, and other Tech companies that have operations in Boise, just because it is a large regional Tech hub. Boise State University just happened to be in the right place at the right time when the microchip industry boom hit and the University was able to leverage the success of the Tech industry into growing their university and brand. Billings had no Micron, nor the funding supplied for the humble beginnings of Micron in the form of J.R. Simplot and therefore EMC never had that shot at being "another BSU".

As much as I hate to say it, Bozeman and MSU likely stands the best chance of any current FCS school to emulate Boise/BSU. IMO, in the age of remote working (and with the airport one of the fastest growing in the nation) Bozeman and the Gallatin Valley in 20 year's time will probably look a lot like Boise and the Treasure Valley is now. Just with better mountains and more rain, not to mention a better university...
Completely agree with gh8r here except for 1 important detail. The weather. Yes it is drier in Boise but also considerably warmer. In a bad year Boise will have 3 months of winter. Snow in March is extremely rare. As a matter of fact snow in general is fairly rare. Residential streets in Boise are never plowed. It is a very mild and dry climate which many people love. I lived in Bozeman for 20 years, I lived in Boise for 3 years. I love Bozeman's mountains and MSU, I just got back from Bozeman yesterday and it is gorgeous but I will take Boise's weather 95 years out of 100. It is full on springtime in March and stays really nice through Thanksgiving. Pretty hot in August but still cools down fairly well at night. There are a lot of reasons to love the Bozeman area over Boise but weather, for most people, is not one of them. For that reason alone I don't think the Gallatin Valley's growth will ever match the Treasure Valley.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:11 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:07 am
grizzh8r wrote:
onceacat wrote:
FYI wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Yes.

Completely agree with gh8r here except for 1 important detail. The weather. Yes it is drier in Boise but also considerably warmer. In a bad year Boise will have 3 months of winter. Snow in March is extremely rare. As a matter of fact snow in general is fairly rare. Residential streets in Boise are never plowed. It is a very mild and dry climate which many people love. I lived in Bozeman for 20 years, I lived in Boise for 3 years. I love Bozeman's mountains and MSU, I just got back from Bozeman yesterday and it is gorgeous but I will take Boise's weather 95 years out of 100. It is full on springtime in March and stays really nice through Thanksgiving. Pretty hot in August but still cools down fairly well at night. There are a lot of reasons to love the Bozeman area over Boise but weather, for most people, is not one of them. For that reason alone I don't think the Gallatin Valley's growth will ever match the Treasure Valley.
Meh, you can have the heat. There are many, many people who like milder summers and all of the winter recreation activities in and around Bozeman. The thing that Bozeman has going for it is despite the snow during winter, there is still a plentiful amount of sunshine, unlike inversion-prone Missoula. That, and Bogus Basin doesn't hold a candle to Brigder Bowl... :D

Also, think about how many millions of people live in places with worse winter weather (more snow, wind, ice storms, humidity, or a combination thereof) than Bozeman. Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, basically anywhere in New England... Bozeman in February is a tropical paradise compared to Buffalo and all of that lake effect snow.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:58 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:11 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:07 am
grizzh8r wrote:
onceacat wrote:
FYI wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Yes.

Meh, you can have the heat. There are many, many people who like milder summers and all of the winter recreation activities in and around Bozeman. The thing that Bozeman has going for it is despite the snow during winter, there is still a plentiful amount of sunshine, unlike inversion-prone Missoula. That, and Bogus Basin doesn't hold a candle to Brigder Bowl... :D

Also, think about how many millions of people live in places with worse winter weather (more snow, wind, ice storms, humidity, or a combination thereof) than Bozeman. Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, basically anywhere in New England... Bozeman in February is a tropical paradise compared to Buffalo and all of that lake effect snow.
Yes, people are just flocking to places like Buffalo and Cleveland, right? Seriously, I love Bozeman as much as anyone and the Gallatin Valley has a lot going for it, but I have to agree with Long Time Cat here. Give me the milder and much shorter winters of Boise any day of the week. There is a reason people are leaving the northeast and upper midwest, for the south and southwest....most people prefer warm weather. I've spent a lot of time in Boise for my job over the last 20 years, and it has grown immensely during that time. I believe the population of the Treasure Valley is about 750,000 now. I'm sure Bozeman will continue to grow for the foreseeable future, but I don't see it being anywhere close to 750,000 in 20 years, or even half that. It's taken more than 20 years for Gallatin County to double it's population to the approximately 110,000 that it is now, and if it doubled again over the next 20, that wouldn't even get it to 250,000. It will probably pass Missoula County to become the 2nd largest in Montana within another 5 years or so, but that still leaves it a long ways from catching Yellowstone County, let alone the Treasure Valley.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:49 pm

John K wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:58 pm

Yes, people are just flocking to places like Buffalo and Cleveland, right? Seriously, I love Bozeman as much as anyone and the Gallatin Valley has a lot going for it, but I have to agree with Long Time Cat here. Give me the milder and much shorter winters of Boise any day of the week. There is a reason people are leaving the northeast and upper midwest, for the south and southwest....most people prefer warm weather. I've spent a lot of time in Boise for my job over the last 20 years, and it has grown immensely during that time. I believe the population of the Treasure Valley is about 750,000 now. I'm sure Bozeman will continue to grow for the foreseeable future, but I don't see it being anywhere close to 750,000 in 20 years, or even half that. It's taken more than 20 years for Gallatin County to double it's population to the approximately 110,000 that it is now, and if it doubled again over the next 20, that wouldn't even get it to 250,000. It will probably pass Missoula County to become the 2nd largest in Montana within another 5 years or so, but that still leaves it a long ways from catching Yellowstone County, let alone the Treasure Valley.
After attending the first two Big Sky basketball tournaments in Boise in March, I will say their weather at that time was amazingly nice and a very good reason to go to the tournament.

The Boise area's growth is incomprehensible. This blew me away: Meridan, which is about the same distance from Boise that Belgrade is to Bozeman, had just under 10,000 people in 1990 (almost exactly the same size Belgrade is right now). 30 years later, Meridian has 129,000 people!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:41 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:54 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:41 pm
I'm surprised there was only one dissenting vote. I'm not surprised it was the student trustee. Students have to pay for the failing athletics department.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!