Eastern Washington Looking at Cutting Football and/or Athletics

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Eastern Washington Looking at Cutting Football and/or Athletics

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:47 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:45 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:47 am
Simple fix for them, as their NFL alumni to pony up.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:19 pm

Big wack to athletics . 10% salary and position cuts

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:32 pm

I think this is only the first drop in the bucket. A lot of schools are going to take some major hits due to this thing, especially in the increasingly likely case of some kind of disruption to the 2020-21 season.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:09 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:32 pm
I think this is only the first drop in the bucket. A lot of schools are going to take some major hits due to this thing, especially in the increasingly likely case of some kind of disruption to the 2020-21 season.
Colleges anticipate lower enrollment too. I spoke with a friend who is a university president (not MSU) and they are planning 5%, 10% and 15% decline. They said that is how most colleges are budgeting the coming school year.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:45 am

MSU01 wrote:
Okay I'll say it before anyone else and the board mediators will probably censor me. Why don't we drop a few liberal art major and keep the stem classes going. Maybe if you really pansy liberals actually got an education we might not be having these protesters and rioters destroying property.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:44 am

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:45 am
MSU01 wrote:
Okay I'll say it before anyone else and the board mediators will probably censor me. Why don't we drop a few liberal art major and keep the stem classes going. Maybe if you really pansy liberals actually got an education we might not be having these protesters and rioters destroying property.
BOOM

Just make sure REAL history is taught and a REAL knowledge of the Constitution. The next question to be asked/posed is who would be teaching?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 am

RickRund wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:44 am
Montanabob wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
BOOM

Just make sure REAL history is taught and a REAL knowledge of the Constitution. The next question to be asked/posed is who would be teaching?
So we tell people what they can learn.
So we choose who will teach what will be learned.
This thinking historically has NEVER gone wrong.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:20 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 am
RickRund wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
BOOM

Don't all degrees have prerequisites.

Professors are chosen to teach certain classes everyday. Make sure they are HIGHLY qualified.

Surely don't want bernie sanders teaching the Constitution.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 am

RickRund wrote:
What is the measure of a “real” knowledge of the Constitution, in your view?

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:37 am

Grizlaw wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 am
RickRund wrote:
As for me, I'm not sure how to make that measurement, but I do believe Rob Natelson's approach works for me. You probably know who he is, but for the others https://fedsoc.org/contributors/robert-natelson

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:19 pm

Rich K wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:37 am
Grizlaw wrote:
RickRund wrote:
As for me, I'm not sure how to make that measurement, but I do believe Rob Natelson's approach works for me. You probably know who he is, but for the others https://fedsoc.org/contributors/robert-natelson
I know Professor Natelson reasonably well - he taught Property when I was at UM. And I agree; he’s quite knowledgeable.

In my experience, whether or not someone “knows the Constitution” usually depends on whether the person whose knowledge is in question agrees with the person doing the questioning. So when most people say they want people to be taught a “real” knowledge of the Constitution (or things of similar import), what they really mean is that they want everyone to be indoctrinated with the same world view that they hold (whatever that may be). That was the point I was trying to tease out.

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:14 pm

Grizlaw wrote:
RickRund wrote:
I'll toss your question right back at you. What is the measure of any "real" knowledge? Should the State be called upon to subsidize the instruction of such knowledge? While a literate and learned society is of high value to a civil society, at what point does indoctrination take place when a government funds the learning?

The Bastiat in me says it's time to take the chain saw to government funding of higher education.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:13 pm

Montanabob wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Well that escalated quickly. I'm not sure how predicting financial troubles for college athletic departments makes me a "pansy liberal", but ok.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:07 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:13 pm
Montanabob wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Well that escalated quickly. I'm not sure how predicting financial troubles for college athletic departments makes me a "pansy liberal", but ok.
Wasn't implying that you were a pansy liberal, but I noticed a lot of EWU faculty that were complaining were trying to get sports banned. But their endowment sucks, $18.5 m, they had 1 academic teacher per 15 students and the same for admin staff. You would think so of their STEM graduates or athletes would pony up. We know the liberal art majors are to busy filing unemployment to care or are a a protest.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:27 pm

The Butcher wrote:
RickRund wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
BOOM

Isn’t that why liberals are tearing down monuments and statues?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:25 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:07 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Wasn't implying that you were a pansy liberal, but I noticed a lot of EWU faculty that were complaining were trying to get sports banned. But their endowment sucks, $18.5 m, they had 1 academic teacher per 15 students and the same for admin staff. You would think so of their STEM graduates or athletes would pony up. We know the liberal art majors are to busy filing unemployment to care or are a a protest.
Oh ok, well if we're bashing EWU I'm right there with you, friend!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:01 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:27 pm
The Butcher wrote:
RickRund wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
BOOM

Micdrop... :coffee:

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:10 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:25 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:07 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Oh ok, well if we're bashing EWU I'm right there with you, friend!
Oh don't get me wrong liberals are idiots

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:35 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:27 pm
The Butcher wrote:
RickRund wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
BOOM

Not sure how you made that connection from my post. To clarify it for you; my comment was in regard to Rick and Bob wanting to determine what people can learn and who can teach them that information. From your post; I presume you agree they shouldn't do that! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: