Which conference?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
User avatar
CatsNoMatterWhat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:25 pm
Location: Yuma, AZ

Which conference?

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:41 am

Found this interesting. Which football conference do you think these folks from St. Thomas would end up in?

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... ht-to-fcs/



ridgeway42
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:43 pm

Re: Which conference?

Post by ridgeway42 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:25 pm

Big Sky! Because at this point so have so many what could another team hurt?



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14143
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Which conference?

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:39 pm

I love the St. Thomas Tommies. And the St. John's Johnnies. My name is Thomas John and my mom was from St. Paul, so go figure.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
GoCats18
Member # Retired
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:06 pm
Location: MT

Re: Which conference?

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Well, Idaho has been a complete bust so why not look at someone else.


Punters are people too!!

User avatar
catgrad05
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1800
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 am
Location: North Central Montna

Re: Which conference?

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:14 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:35 pm
Well, Idaho has been a complete bust so why not look at someone else.
But they had to cut back on scholarships and play down because they where the big bad FBS. They where automatically National champions since they played with the big boys and the poor small ag schools where not qualified to wash their jock straps



User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Which conference?

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:28 pm

The NCAA are discussing this week.. Could this be a path for some other schools to jump up and challenge the bottom of the BSC and push for two conferences or relegation of UNC and lose of Cali schools.
Come back in 2021 and see the results.


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Which conference?

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:12 pm



MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4532
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Which conference?

Post by RickRund » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:54 pm

OK, no scholarships in DIII so how are these financed? All of a sudden they need to pay for several hundred schollies. Guessing they have made arrangements for moving up and have made a reserve fund.



User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Which conference?

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:30 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:54 pm
OK, no scholarships in DIII so how are these financed? All of a sudden they need to pay for several hundred schollies. Guessing they have made arrangements for moving up and have made a reserve fund.
Good booster program


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

User avatar
allcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7962
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: 90 miles from Nirvana (Bobcat Stadium)

Re: Which conference?

Post by allcat » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:28 pm

This might be a way to stop a running bison, kick them out of their conference and make them join the CFL


Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Which conference?

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:17 pm



MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2704
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Which conference?

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:38 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:17 pm
Waiver approved. A new FCS team.
https://news.stthomas.edu/july-15-2020-press-release
I don’t understand this. Good program, nice school, but they have an 1,800 seat basketball arena. 5,000 seat stadium and average only about 3,000 a game. Do they really belong in FCS? However, I would like to see them in Bozeman for Gold Rush. It will count as a D1 win in 2021.



Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3634
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Which conference?

Post by Rich K » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:20 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:38 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:17 pm
Waiver approved. A new FCS team.
https://news.stthomas.edu/july-15-2020-press-release
I don’t understand this. Good program, nice school, but they have an 1,800 seat basketball arena. 5,000 seat stadium and average only about 3,000 a game. Do they really belong in FCS? However, I would like to see them in Bozeman for Gold Rush. It will count as a D1 win in 2021.
Apparently they belong in the FCS as the FCS keeps lowering the bottom. The real question is why does the top of the FCS remain in the FCS? The top 20% of the FCS and two or three FBS conferences belong together.


Image

User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Which conference?

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:44 am

Rich K wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:20 am
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:38 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:17 pm
Waiver approved. A new FCS team.
https://news.stthomas.edu/july-15-2020-press-release
I don’t understand this. Good program, nice school, but they have an 1,800 seat basketball arena. 5,000 seat stadium and average only about 3,000 a game. Do they really belong in FCS? However, I would like to see them in Bozeman for Gold Rush. It will count as a D1 win in 2021.
Apparently they belong in the FCS as the FCS keeps lowering the bottom. The real question is why does the top of the FCS remain in the FCS? The top 20% of the FCS and two or three FBS conferences belong together.
You really should look at the attendance of half of the FCS. 3,000 a game is way more than about 25 to 30% of the FCS


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

User avatar
The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1991
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Which conference?

Post by The Butcher » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:29 am

Two D-1 schools in Minnesota. I wonder how that will effect NDSU's recruiting in Minnesota if/when the Tommies are able to go to a scholarship football conference (I don't imagine they will stay in the Pioneer League forever). I was always disappointed that after Hysell retired MSU never really recruited Minnesota again...



User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Which conference?

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:13 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:44 am
Rich K wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:20 am
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:38 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:17 pm
Waiver approved. A new FCS team.
https://news.stthomas.edu/july-15-2020-press-release
I don’t understand this. Good program, nice school, but they have an 1,800 seat basketball arena. 5,000 seat stadium and average only about 3,000 a game. Do they really belong in FCS? However, I would like to see them in Bozeman for Gold Rush. It will count as a D1 win in 2021.
Apparently they belong in the FCS as the FCS keeps lowering the bottom. The real question is why does the top of the FCS remain in the FCS? The top 20% of the FCS and two or three FBS conferences belong together.
You really should look at the attendance of half of the FCS. 3,000 a game is way more than about 25 to 30% of the FCS
And glad to see they skipped division II, now they won't be able to get a title in division 2 and FCS.


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Post Reply