um enrollment

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: um enrollment

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:58 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:32 am
In light of all the enrollment challenges UM is experiencing, does anyone else find it interesting that a big chunk of student playoff tickets are being funded by the Enrollment Office? It seems to me they would have more pressing needs with their limited budget.

Maybe I'm way off base here....thoughts?

That's cute that they're copying Big Brother by giving students free tix.

:coffee:

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:26 pm

catbooster wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:45 am
I don't know. I think of it as advertising/marketing. MSU is doing the same thing, although it's different departments doing it. Say they're giving away 2,000 tickets and the school is paying for 500 of them - $2,500? That's not much in terms of buying ads.
MSU had 2000 tickets funded from donors, when those sold out the Administration found funds for 500 additional.

It looks like UM may have done it the other way around, at first they didn't have any sponsored student tickets, then when they started getting calls about what MSU was doing their administration found some funds for student tickets, donors came in then and boosted the amount they have to give out.

Not dUMb moves by either place, but um didn't think of it and got behind again, kind of like getting a delay of game before the first play of a game.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

WeedKillinCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:02 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:26 pm
catbooster wrote:
I don't know. I think of it as advertising/marketing. MSU is doing the same thing, although it's different departments doing it. Say they're giving away 2,000 tickets and the school is paying for 500 of them - $2,500? That's not much in terms of buying ads.
MSU had 2000 tickets funded from donors, when those sold out the Administration found funds for 500 additional.

It looks like UM may have done it the other way around, at first they didn't have any sponsored student tickets, then when they started getting calls about what MSU was doing their administration found some funds for student tickets, donors came in then and boosted the amount they have to give out.

Not dUMb moves by either place, but um didn't think of it and got behind again, kind of like getting a delay of game before the first play of a game.
And then they fumbled...

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Montanabob » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:05 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:02 pm
cats2506 wrote:
catbooster wrote:

And then they fumbled...
So does this mean that every DumB student gets a ticket? I know enrollment was down, but didn't realize it was down to 2500 students. :)

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:43 pm

cats2506 wrote:
catbooster wrote:

That is a good possible theory... but MSU is not bleeding financially, laying off staff or cutting expenditures. Given the financial environment at UM, this is a bad look.

catbooster
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catbooster » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:30 pm

To the people that complain about viewsheds, noisesheds, etc. because they don't see value in sports it looks bad. To people who think sports is the "front porch" it makes sense.

Both UM and MSU are state institutions under the same Board of Regents, responsible to the taxpayers, etc. If it's a bad idea at UM then why isn't it bad at MSU? Should UM not be allowed to advertise since it's a "bad look" to spend money on that when they are laying off staff? To me this seems like pretty good bang for their buck to advertise, get students involved in campus activities and develop the future donors when these students finish their education.

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:41 am

catbooster wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:30 pm
To the people that complain about viewsheds, noisesheds, etc. because they don't see value in sports it looks bad. To people who think sports is the "front porch" it makes sense.

Both UM and MSU are state institutions under the same Board of Regents, responsible to the taxpayers, etc. If it's a bad idea at UM then why isn't it bad at MSU? Should UM not be allowed to advertise since it's a "bad look" to spend money on that when they are laying off staff? To me this seems like pretty good bang for their buck to advertise, get students involved in campus activities and develop the future donors when these students finish their education.
Huge difference between MSU and UM financially. What may be sound financially at MSU does not mean it is a sound financial decision at UM.

Also, I am not convinced that buying tickets for kids to go to a football game is the best advertising money can buy. Maybe their marketing department could have put together a nice mailing with that money to actually attract new students. And they can actually direct those mailings to kids interested in going to college next year. I am guessing that less than 1% of new prospective students even hear that UM did this.