um enrollment

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: um enrollment

Post by RickRund » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:10 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:36 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:30 am
I was listening to Coach Vigen yesterday during a Quarterback Club call and he said MSU welcomed it largest freshman class ever! Over 4,000! I haven’t seen this anywhere else yet, but does that translate to we took away more students from UM? Any figures on UM enrollment yet?
It will be interesting to see the final apples to apples numbers in a few weeks. UM usually boosts their freshmen numbers by including the 2-year community college numbers as well as their high school dual enrollment kids.

From what I've heard, MSU has a monster freshman class and UM's class will be similar to last year, which isn't great considering their big decline they blamed on covid.
When you look at um's total and the MSU freshman class that is amazing. um may have 7000-7200 total students?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:39 pm

Classes at MSU just started yesterday so there will be at least fifteen class days before initial numbers come out, most likely more as campuses work harder to get students to pay/confirm their bills instead of just dropping them from class. Most likely have more final numbers mid-late September from all campuses.

Lots of good things happening at MSU right now so stay tuned…

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:07 pm

RickRund wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:10 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I was listening to Coach Vigen yesterday during a Quarterback Club call and he said MSU welcomed it largest freshman class ever! Over 4,000! I haven’t seen this anywhere else yet, but does that translate to we took away more students from UM? Any figures on UM enrollment yet?
It will be interesting to see the final apples to apples numbers in a few weeks. UM usually boosts their freshmen numbers by including the 2-year community college numbers as well as their high school dual enrollment kids.

From what I've heard, MSU has a monster freshman class and UM's class will be similar to last year, which isn't great considering their big decline they blamed on covid.
When you look at um's total and the MSU freshman class that is amazing. um may have 7000-7200 total students?
If you just look at FTE on the 4-year campuses, MSU was at 12,264 and UM was at 6,176. Obviously the total headcount numbers that include part time students are much higher.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:16 pm

We'll have more Cat fans in Laramie than UM will have students. :wink:

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:30 pm

This just means the Board of Regents will have to take more money from MSU, to keep um afloat.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:15 pm

allcat wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:30 pm
This just means the Board of Regents will have to take more money from MSU, to keep um afloat.
Yes, the entire university system has that to fall back on, but I'm not sure to what extent. Aside from that, however, they can't make up for the loss of donations from alumni unless Dennis Washington's family continues to give, but it's going to take that to keep pace.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:32 am

wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

They count high school dual enrollment students? Talk about inflating numbers. :roll:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:04 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:32 am
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

They count high school dual enrollment students? Talk about inflating numbers. :roll:
They count students like their stat keepers count tackles. :wink:

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:34 am

The Butcher wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

All campuses including MSU count dual enrollment students in the headcount.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:33 am

coachouert wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:34 am
The Butcher wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Was just going to post that. Thank you for clarifying.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:03 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:33 am
coachouert wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Inflation either way. Of course it more fun calling out just UM.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:16 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:03 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:33 am
coachouert wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Inflation either way. Of course it more fun calling out just UM.
When looking at headcount: it's not inflation. Those students are taking a class at/through the respective campus just like a "typical" student that might only take one class for whatever reason that is also counted in headcount. That number is only looking at how many students are taking at least one class.

On the flip side, to keep campuses from inflating numbers, there is also the FTE (full-time equivalent) number that is looked at on each campus. These are the students that are taking a full credit load. This number is always interesting to view each year as MSU has continued to grow.