WAC FCS Football?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman

WAC FCS Football?

Post by oedipuss » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:00 pm

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sport ... 822468002/

Looks like Dixie St. is working on moving to the WAC with the understanding that the WAC is moving towards sponsoring FCS football. It’ll be interesting to see what that does to Big Sky memberships.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: WAC FCS Football?

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:48 pm

WAC football seems like a crazy idea. I don't see New Mexico State dropping and DSU can't be a conference of one. It's not a bad thing to have another FCS school in the west, but having three in Utah seems a bit much. Interesting dynamic with SUU just up the road.

As for Dixie State going D-1: I think they need to rebrand. Dixie State in Utah is going to be terribly confusing on a national level. Looks like they considered a name change but didn't go through with it. This on their wikipedia page:
On September 7, 2007, Dixie State College Board of Trustees members announced that Dixie State College of Utah would petition the University of Utah to become the University of Utah–St. George.[13] The proposal was approved by the Dixie State College Board of Trustees on October 7, 2007, and by the University of Utah Board of Trustees on October 14, 2007; however, this did not come to fruition.

In 2011, a bill was drafted for the review of the Utah State Legislature and the Utah State Governor to support Dixie State College's transition to university status.[14]

The institution contracted with a local advertising firm, Sorenson Advertising, to investigate names for the institution as a university[15] and found that alumni overwhelmingly supported the name "Dixie" while less than half of faculty/staff supported the name "Dixie" (p. 48).[16]

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:20 am

I would bet we would show interest if Portland quits football.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:01 am

Interesting - I can see how the California schools may prefer be in a geographically more concentrated WAC football conference than the Big Sky. But how many teams need to be in a conference in order for that conference to have an automatic bid to the playoffs? I seem to remember the old Great West conference only had 5 teams by the time it folded when most of its members left to join the Big Sky. It seems likelier that Dixie State would try to join the Big Sky as a replacement for UND than to have a new football conference formed, although the article seems to indicate that the Big Sky isn't interested at this time.

BlueNGoldTilIDie
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BlueNGoldTilIDie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:07 am

I actually love this! The WAC back in the day was a decent football conference and went by the wayside by the emergence of the Mountain West. But, as I see it, Choate and many other coaches and fans in the Big Sky are calling for a change of a split conference. What better way for the WAC to take some of these teams. Mainly the California teams and leave the Big Sky with 9 total teams. MSU, UM, Idaho, ISU, EWU, Weber, NAU, SUU, Portland St. The wac would then take over the Cali teams, UCD, CP, SAC, UNC, Dixie, I believe New mexico state will be a team to look for a drop. They are playing independent right now and are losing money faster than Idaho did forcing Idaho to drop. Ive heard there are a few teams in D2 that are looking to move up as well, Central Washington being one and there are a few d2 Colorado schools that have decent enough facilities to make the jump that Ive heard about as well. This is just a scenario that I personally would love to see and it would grant the wishes of having the original Big sky Charter schools back in place but more importantly we will truly see the Winner of the Big sky being the winner of the big sky with everyone playing everyone every single year. Just my 2 cents :)

Edit: I also could see San Diego joining these Cali schools and becoming a sholarship football program and leaving the Pioneer. They would save a ton of money on travel as well.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:47 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:01 am
Interesting - I can see how the California schools may prefer be in a geographically more concentrated WAC football conference than the Big Sky. But how many teams need to be in a conference in order for that conference to have an automatic bid to the playoffs? I seem to remember the old Great West conference only had 5 teams by the time it folded when most of its members left to join the Big Sky. It seems likelier that Dixie State would try to join the Big Sky as a replacement for UND than to have a new football conference formed, although the article seems to indicate that the Big Sky isn't interested at this time.
I think Idaho replaced UND

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

WSUWILDCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:43 am

Could be the thing that gets Football started at UVU

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:04 am

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:43 am
Could be the thing that gets Football started at UVU
Possibly GCU as well.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:10 am

The WAC has been a ****** show since the 1990's. I think the Big Sky would be wise to avoid any agreements with them. If anything, the Big Sky ought to seek a strategy of encouraging the WAC to add football and make it an attractive affiliation for the non-traditional Big Sky members when those schools are rightly encouraged to leave the Big Sky.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BlueNGoldTilIDie
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BlueNGoldTilIDie » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:43 am

Rich K wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:10 am
The WAC has been a ****** show since the 1990's. I think the Big Sky would be wise to avoid any agreements with them. If anything, the Big Sky ought to seek a strategy of encouraging the WAC to add football and make it an attractive affiliation for the non-traditional Big Sky members when those schools are rightly encouraged to leave the Big Sky.
Disagree completely. They have alwaays been competitive since back in the day. In the 80s you had BYU win a national championship as part of the WAC along with having Utah and the rest of the original Mountain west. The MW didnt form until 98 so to so say since the 90s is very incorrect. Also Boise State joined the WAC in 2001, the rest is history with them. The Fiesta bowl win they were part of the WAC. Hawaii had a few years where they were ranked nationally every week of the year they were part of the WAC. The appearance of TCU when they started to be dominant began when they were in the WAC. Wyoming was also fairly dominant in the 80s and the 90s. Also with them being in the FCS would make it a lot better for the Big sky to finally shrink to an appropriate number of teams.

Edit: Fresno state was pretty dominate for college football when both Carrs played there.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:11 pm

BlueNGoldTilIDie wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:43 am
Rich K wrote:
Disagree completely. They have alwaays been competitive since back in the day. In the 80s you had BYU win a national championship as part of the WAC along with having Utah and the rest of the original Mountain west. The MW didnt form until 98 so to so say since the 90s is very incorrect. Also Boise State joined the WAC in 2001, the rest is history with them. The Fiesta bowl win they were part of the WAC. Hawaii had a few years where they were ranked nationally every week of the year they were part of the WAC. The appearance of TCU when they started to be dominant began when they were in the WAC. Wyoming was also fairly dominant in the 80s and the 90s. Also with them being in the FCS would make it a lot better for the Big sky to finally shrink to an appropriate number of teams.

Edit: Fresno state was pretty dominate for college football when both Carrs played there.
Name one of those teams still playing football in the WAC

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:30 am

BlueNGoldTilIDie wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:43 am
Rich K wrote:

The WAC went stupid in the 90's when they tried to become a super conference with 16 teams split into divisions and subdivisions with a foot print more expansive than the Big Sky Conference, even if you count the expanded foot print with North Dakota included. The original WAC members said screw this and several of the original members became the foundation of the Mountain West. The WAC has been a crap conference that had little in common with the "original" WAC. To disagree with this part of my original statement would be silly.

The latter part of my original statement, that we would be wise to not enter any agreements with the WAC, is my personal opinion based on the observation that the WAC is a fricking mess. NONE of the original Big Sky members ought to get close to that mess. Let the WAC start FCS football and some of the dead weight of the Big Sky will have a landing spot when they are kicked to the curb when the Big Sky sends them packing. If anything, the example set by the original WAC members who abandoned the WAC and formed the foundation of the MWC ought be the path for MSU, UM, Weber, ISU, Idaho, NAU, and EWU, PSU, and NAU to follow as related to the way to free themselves of the dead weight.

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:33 am

Maybe NAU and SUU would look to move to WAC?

Another twist is all the other sports these school sponsor and where would they land. The Big Sky wants its members to be all in and would rather not have football only or an all but football school.
The WAC currently has all sports but football would the WAC take on a few more schools in the other sports?

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Rich K wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:30 am
anything, the example set by the original WAC members who abandoned the WAC and formed the foundation of the MWC ought be the path for MSU, UM, Weber, ISU, Idaho, NAU, and EWU, PSU, and NAU to follow as related to the way to free themselves of the dead weight.
Will PSU even have football in the future?

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:40 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:40 pm
Rich K wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:30 am
anything, the example set by the original WAC members who abandoned the WAC and formed the foundation of the MWC ought be the path for MSU, UM, Weber, ISU, Idaho, NAU, and EWU, PSU, and NAU to follow as related to the way to free themselves of the dead weight.
Will PSU even have football in the future?
Good point. They had decided to dump football a few years ago and then it was granted a reprieve.

grizband

Post by grizband » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:57 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:01 am
I believe six teams in the requirement for a playoff auto bid.

Siouxfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Siouxfan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:47 pm

The WAC will bring FBS back with the 3 California FCS, NMSU, UTRGV and Sam Houston St, Lamar and McNeese St.
https://www.americanpress.com/opinion/d ... fdbe9.html
Lamar and Sam Houston St have previously begged the Sun Belt for an invite. UTRGV wants FBS soon after it starts fb.

The Big Sky will have to backfill with DII schools Dixie St, CWU and Metro St.

The Montana’s, Idaho and Weber St will head for the Summit League, as PUFW, ORU and W Illinois will abandon ship. The Summit will go FBS with cooperation from the WAC.

The WAC is just putting on airs that is is looking for DII schools when it’s the Big Sky that will need them.

The goal is the Presidents want part of the CFP payout next time its negotiated, which could be a couple mill annually per school.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 pm

Siouxfan wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:47 pm
The WAC will bring FBS back with the 3 California FCS, NMSU, UTRGV and Sam Houston St, Lamar and McNeese St.
Lamar and Sam Houston St have previously begged the Sun Belt for an invite. UTRGV wants FBS soon after it starts fb.

The Montana’s, Idaho and Weber St will head for the Summit League, as PUFW, ORU and W Illinois will abandon ship. The Summit will go FBS with cooperation from the WAC.

The WAC is just putting on airs that is is looking for DII schools when it’s the Big Sky that will need them.

The goal is the Presidents want part of the CFP payout next time its negotiated, which could be a couple mill annually per school.
Step away from the crack pipe. BSC could lose California schools and a few others and not even blink.
WAC would have 12 to 15 schools with only half playing football? That is what killed them years ago. Learn some history.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Siouxfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Siouxfan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:42 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 pm
Siouxfan wrote:

Step away from the crack pipe. BSC could lose California schools and a few others and not even blink.
WAC would have 12 to 15 schools with only half playing football? That is what killed them years ago. Learn some history.
Apparently, cat fans can’t do simple arithmetic.

13 fb - 3 Ca FCS - 4 MT, ID, Weebs = 6

6 + Dixie + CWU = 8

11 Olympic - Sac - 4 (Mts, I’d, Weebs) = 6

6 + Utah Valley +Metro St + Dixie + CWU + Seattle = 11

Siouxfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Siouxfan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:43 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 pm
Siouxfan wrote:

Apparently, cat fans can’t do simple arithmetic.

13 fb - 3 Ca FCS - 4 MT, ID, Weebs = 6

6 + Dixie + CWU = 8

11 Olympic - Sac - 4 (Mts, ID, Weebs) = 6

6 + Utah Valley +Metro St + Dixie + CWU + Seattle = 11