Idaho's Future

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:30 am

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by 3-7-77 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:40 am

SkyRider wrote:I'm not sure at what point during the game that previous picture was taken. It was against Wofford. Idaho's own fans make fun of the announced attendance, because it's, shall we say, exaggerated. I don't know what the truth is, but I've heard different stories on attendance. I've heard they give out freebies, but internally mark those tickets as having some monetary value. I've also heard that they'll earmark monetary gifts as tickets sold -- i.e. somebody makes a donation to the athletic department (let's say for $10,000), and they'll "buy" $10,000 worth of tickets with that donation.

ESPN's game recaps often include pics and video clips of their games. You can see for yourself. This one was from a year and a half ago, the 2014 season, against South Alabama.

Image
Good find. UI has shown that when motivated, like BSU coming to town, they can fill the place. Seems attendance there really is a joke. So much for credibility. ***BTW, the South Alabama game's official attendance was 14,887. :lol: [-X


"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

User avatar
Pecos24
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:05 pm
Location: East Helena, MT

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by Pecos24 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:34 pm

Oh the entertainment of reading GoVandals.net:
If Idaho does have to drop down to the Big Sky, then I certainly can't support the team anymore and won't see any home games anymore. We are THE University of Idaho and we're the land-grant institution in the state and a major research school. Academically we're the Harvard of the West, and I was certain that some day we could eventually go into the Pac-12 where we belong. But now it seems that we're destined to play schools like EWU, Southern Utah, ISU and Weber, which are schools that are way beneath us.
I really hope we put a good ass whuppin' on them come September.


Bill Zander
CS '93

John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8287
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by John K » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Pecos24 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:I honestly believe that they would have a more excitement (and attendance) playing MSU, UM, EWU or ISU than playing Wooford or South Alabama. The only thing I see holding them back from dropping down is their alums having to face BSU fans on a day to day basis, otherwise I think they would find more exciting and winnable games against natural regional rivals.....
If you read their forums it sounds like the majority of their fans would rather Idaho drop football altogether than drop to FCS. If they do drop down a lot of them claim they will pull their support for the program.

For your entertainment, here is the link to the Vandal forum solely dedicated to the FBS/FCS debate: http://www.scout.com/college/idaho/foru ... ealignment
The flaw in that logic, is what happens when the seemingly inevitable reorganization of D-I football happens, i.e. the G-5 conferences/schools merging with some of the upper tier FCS conferences/schools? It seems like they'd be in a much better position if they were already playing at the FCS level at that point, versus re-starting the program from scratch, if they dropped football for several years. Again, I understand why their fans are not pleased by the prospect of dropping down. I don't think MSU fans would react very favorably, if we were faced with dropping to D-II, even if we'd had a string of 1-10 and 2-9 seasons, and were drawing less than 5,000 fans to Bobcat Stadium for games. But I have to believe that I'd prefer that, versus having no football at all.



John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8287
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by John K » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:49 pm

Pecos24 wrote:Oh the entertainment of reading GoVandals.net:
If Idaho does have to drop down to the Big Sky, then I certainly can't support the team anymore and won't see any home games anymore. We are THE University of Idaho and we're the land-grant institution in the state and a major research school. Academically we're the Harvard of the West, and I was certain that some day we could eventually go into the Pac-12 where we belong. But now it seems that we're destined to play schools like EWU, Southern Utah, ISU and Weber, which are schools that are way beneath us.
I really hope we put a good ass whuppin' on them come September.
And I thought Griz fans were arrogant and delusional...



Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3821
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by Rich K » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:52 pm

Pecos24 wrote:Oh the entertainment of reading GoVandals.net:
If Idaho does have to drop down to the Big Sky, then I certainly can't support the team anymore and won't see any home games anymore. We are THE University of Idaho and we're the land-grant institution in the state and a major research school. Academically we're the Harvard of the West, and I was certain that some day we could eventually go into the Pac-12 where we belong. But now it seems that we're destined to play schools like EWU, Southern Utah, ISU and Weber, which are schools that are way beneath us.
I really hope we put a good ass whuppin' on them come September.
I don't see what the big deal about the Harvard of the West dropping to FCS. Heck, the Harvard of the East plays in the Ivy league, and they aren't even good enough to want to play in the FCS Championship tournament.


Image

User avatar
luckyirishguy25
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3717
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:35 pm

Rich K wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:Oh the entertainment of reading GoVandals.net:
If Idaho does have to drop down to the Big Sky, then I certainly can't support the team anymore and won't see any home games anymore. We are THE University of Idaho and we're the land-grant institution in the state and a major research school. Academically we're the Harvard of the West, and I was certain that some day we could eventually go into the Pac-12 where we belong. But now it seems that we're destined to play schools like EWU, Southern Utah, ISU and Weber, which are schools that are way beneath us.
I really hope we put a good ass whuppin' on them come September.
I don't see what the big deal about the Harvard of the West dropping to FCS. Heck, the Harvard of the East plays in the Ivy league, and they aren't even good enough to want to play in the FCS Championship tournament.
I think they're confusing Harvard with University of Phoenix, that's closer to their academic level.



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1437
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:40 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Rich K wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:Oh the entertainment of reading GoVandals.net:
If Idaho does have to drop down to the Big Sky, then I certainly can't support the team anymore and won't see any home games anymore. We are THE University of Idaho and we're the land-grant institution in the state and a major research school. Academically we're the Harvard of the West, and I was certain that some day we could eventually go into the Pac-12 where we belong. But now it seems that we're destined to play schools like EWU, Southern Utah, ISU and Weber, which are schools that are way beneath us.
I really hope we put a good ass whuppin' on them come September.
I don't see what the big deal about the Harvard of the West dropping to FCS. Heck, the Harvard of the East plays in the Ivy league, and they aren't even good enough to want to play in the FCS Championship tournament.
I think they're confusing Harvard with University of Phoenix, that's closer to their academic level.
Harvard University of the West?

Oh, that's funny. I just checked the Carnegie Classifications.

Universities classified as "R1: Doctoral Universities - Highest Research Activity"

Harvard University (of the East)

Universities classified as "R2: Doctoral Universities - Higher Research Activity"

University of Idaho (of the West)

R1 as compared to R2. Do I detect a hint of delusion?



Long Time Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:40 am
Location: North Idaho

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:51 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
SkyRider wrote:I'm not sure at what point during the game that previous picture was taken. It was against Wofford. Idaho's own fans make fun of the announced attendance, because it's, shall we say, exaggerated. I don't know what the truth is, but I've heard different stories on attendance. I've heard they give out freebies, but internally mark those tickets as having some monetary value. I've also heard that they'll earmark monetary gifts as tickets sold -- i.e. somebody makes a donation to the athletic department (let's say for $10,000), and they'll "buy" $10,000 worth of tickets with that donation.

ESPN's game recaps often include pics and video clips of their games. You can see for yourself. This one was from a year and a half ago, the 2014 season, against South Alabama.

Image
Good find. UI has shown that when motivated, like BSU coming to town, they can fill the place. Seems attendance there really is a joke. So much for credibility. ***BTW, the South Alabama game's official attendance was 14,887. :lol: [-X
I went to the UI/BSU game 6-8 years ago in Moscow (I won the tickets on a radio contest). It appeared to be almost sold out but it had the feel of being played at a neutral site. Well over a third of the fans were Broncos. Pretty sad IMHO.


"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1437
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:10 am

Looks like a dismal, uninspiring place to play football. Seems like outdoors would be a better option there. I remember watching a televised game with UI vs BSU a few years ago, and the dome did not look good on TV at all.



Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1735
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:38 am

After further review I have to be generous with those die-hard Vandal fans who support their football team and attend their game. It has to be torture having the team you love with leadership so bent on remaining FBS they defy any common logic, not to mention the business end of the organization. In a western region rich with football programs and rivalries they chose to align with schools thousands of miles from home.
Imagine a world where the Bobcats decide it's "imperative" to join the FBS and finally landing a spot in one of the Conference USA divisions. Instead of blood rival UM, long time rival ISU, newer rivals EWU and even Weber State, the Bobcat fans are now merged with W. Kentucky, Marshall, Mid Tennessee, Old Dominion, Fla Atlantic, Charlotte and Fla International. Imagine, again, the Cats sitting 1-5 and 2-3 Old Dominion coming to Bozeman. If the snow is flying I can imagine fewer in Bobcat Stadium than might be in the warm Kibbie Dome. When nobody is there it's the fans sending a message. It's like the old saying, "if nobody wants to come you can't stop them".



St George
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by St George » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:16 am

[quote="John K"][quote="Pecos24"][quote="cats2506"]If you read their forums it sounds like the majority of their fans would rather Idaho drop football altogether than drop to FCS.

I live in Idaho, and yes vandal fans hate bsu with a passion. bsu fans could care less about the vandals. So to drop down would be the worst thing to happen if you are a vandal fan. From a friend that has attended vandal games, he states there are not many options to spend the night after the game. So regardless of whether they are FCS or FBS that will not change.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4998
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by RickRund » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:38 am

St George wrote:
John K wrote:
Pecos24 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:If you read their forums it sounds like the majority of their fans would rather Idaho drop football altogether than drop to FCS.

I live in Idaho, and yes vandal fans hate bsu with a passion. bsu fans could care less about the vandals. So to drop down would be the worst thing to happen if you are a vandal fan. From a friend that has attended vandal games, he states there are not many options to spend the night after the game. So regardless of whether they are FCS or FBS that will not change.
As I posted earlier, we will be parking our 5th a Wheel is what looks like a city park. Yep, not much available within a reasonable distance.



orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:34 pm

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by orsalak » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:21 pm

Pecos24 wrote:If you read their forums it sounds like the majority of their fans would rather Idaho drop football altogether than drop to FCS. If they do drop down a lot of them claim they will pull their support for the program.
For your entertainment, here is the link to the Vandal forum solely dedicated to the FBS/FCS debate: http://www.scout.com/college/idaho/foru ... ealignment
I was excited to hear of the potential of a natural fit like U of Idaho coming back to the Big Sky but after reading that board the only conclusion I can come to is they are smoking some good s$&t. If they feel like they are too good for the Big Sky conference they need to take a good hard look at themselves. They are the laphing stock of FBS football and have no chance of ever competing at that level of competition. They have no chance of competing with their rivals BSU (also BSU fans that I have talked to don't even know what is happening with UI so if your "rival" doesn't care about what you are doing is it really a rivalry?) the Kibby Dome sucks their Basketball arena is mediocre and overall their fans suck. I am hoping now that they drop football and basketball so we don't have to hear about them anymore.
Last edited by orsalak on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.


Guns don't kill people..... I kill people

orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:34 pm

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by orsalak » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:24 pm

Also this PowerPoint makes Idaho seem like the nerd trying to hang with the cool kids except these are the teams in the Sunbelt not the cool kids... http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... nt-aww-man Why does Fullerton feel we need them? I think they should join the PAC 12 or the Big 10 you know where they belong /s.


Guns don't kill people..... I kill people

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3821
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by Rich K » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:13 am

Considering that the Big Sky is beneath them, maybe the smart guys in Moscow ought to consider joining the WAC in olympic sports and going independent for football.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... ealignment


Image

orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:34 pm

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by orsalak » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:34 am

Rich K wrote:Considering that the Big Sky is beneath them, maybe the smart guys in Moscow ought to consider joining the WAC in olympic sports and going independent for football.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... ealignment
That would be a good option too. That conference sounds like it is going strong and should be around for years to come. I wonder if the people in the know have looked at joining the SEC for football and the ACC for Olympic sports. A school like that should be in the best conferences for all sports. I don't think the travel costs will be that big of a deal because most of the teams in the Sunbelt are far away.


Guns don't kill people..... I kill people

User avatar
luckyirishguy25
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3717
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:06 pm

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/m ... ck-staben/
Sounds like the Prez has got his bags packed and is ready to come back to the Big Sky too me.



Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1735
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:43 am

A long time friend and opponent who is a deep Vandal fan tells me......he believes Idaho is turning it around on the field. He says they have more young talent on board than in a very long time. The offensive line is young and talented. He said their quarterback might be the best one we face this season. He said sometime during their game with Arkansas State last year things seemed to be coming together. The game with Auburn was actually somewhat of a contest. He felt it's a stretch, but possible to get to a bowl this season. If not, he will be disappointed it they are not there next year. Beating Montana State "like an FBS school should" is very important so they will be approaching the opener very seriously.



GRIZ1STCATS2ND
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 573
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:27 am

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:26 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/m ... ck-staben/
Sounds like the Prez has got his bags packed and is ready to come back to the Big Sky too me.
I just saw it more as not giving a definitive answer to any of the questions. Beating around the bush.....

Speaking of that I always thought it should be a tough row to hoe, not road to hoe.



77matcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by 77matcat » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:37 pm

Row to hoe. Although it would probably be very difficult to hoe a road. Especially if it were black topped


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Post Reply