Idaho's Future

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by orsalak » Thu May 05, 2016 10:37 am

For the merger to happen and there to be a FBS/FCS football split there would need to be 8 teams ready to move up and take all of the added costs that go along with the FBS. Let's say Idaho and New Mexico State are in already that leaves 6 spaces open that teams from the Big Sky would have to fill. There are not 6 teams from the Big Sky ready to do that. In my opinion I see U of M ready to move MSU probably ready to move and that is it. So at best there is a half of conference. EWU's facilities are not there. UND's program is not there. Weber? Poly? Idaho is dreaming.

22-0

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu May 05, 2016 11:35 am

https://twitter.com/JPGroves/status/728265938416476160

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu May 05, 2016 12:44 pm

Exactly. Now that they are not joined at the hip with Idaho they will reapply to the Sunbelt as a full member again and hope that they might be able to get picked up by the Sun Belt or by the Mountain West Conference if somebody scrapes out of there to go join a power conference

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun May 08, 2016 2:06 am

http://www.kvia.com/sports/nmsu-committ ... 7/39400240
Interesting point I hadn't seen.
The comment that the big sky conference said not interested in having them join.
So we will see what happens.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon May 09, 2016 10:10 am

Montanabob wrote:http://www.kvia.com/sports/nmsu-committ ... 7/39400240
The comment that the big sky conference said not interested in having them join.
I was surprised to see how many of NMSU's fans are in favor of them dropping to FCS, and yet they've decided to stay at the FBS level. In contrast to UI, whose fans are almost unanimously opposed to moving down, even though they've made the decision to do that.
Last edited by John K on Mon May 09, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:25 am

Enjoy :lol: http://csnbbs.com/thread-778641-page-18.html Give special attention to NoDak. He is everywhere spouting his theories.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:42 pm

cats2506 wrote:I honestly believe that they would have a more excitement (and attendance) playing MSU, UM, EWU or ISU than playing Wooford or South Alabama. The only thing I see holding them back from dropping down is their alums having to face BSU fans on a day to day basis, otherwise I think they would find more exciting and winnable games against natural regional rivals.

I have no desire for MSU to move up, MSU will never be a P5 team and the G5 (or whatever they are called) are just wannabes that cant raise the funds to be a P5. If MSU wants the grow the athletic department add wrestling and a corresponding girls sport. Right now there are enough native Montanans wrestling DI to fill a full wrestling roster.
Women's Softball??

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:58 pm

Flipping the Field: How college football's Power 5 should expand
Ryan McGee
ESPN Senior Writer

Last week's college football headlines were dominated by expansion chatter emanating from the Big 12, which has been a 10-team league since 2012, when it went from being a 14-team league to an eight-team league to the current dime roster.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ooked-like

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri May 13, 2016 10:55 am

Apologies if this has been discussed, but does Idaho offer Full Cost of Attendance Scholarships?

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun May 15, 2016 9:35 am

John K wrote:
I was surprised to see how many of NMSU's fans are in favor of them dropping to FCS, and yet they've decided to stay at the FBS level. In contrast to UI, whose fans are almost unanimously opposed to moving down, even though they've made the decision to do that.
NMSU won't join Big Sky. They will reapply to Sun Down and Mountain West.
But watch out for Coastal Carolina not getting their stadium built. VoteD down twice citing lack of private contributions.
PR nightmare for Sun Down. Hahahaha :-({|=

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Sun May 15, 2016 5:04 pm

John K wrote:
Are UI fans really that united in their opposition to dropping down? I know their message board seems virtually unanimous, but does the message board accurately reflect the fan base? I sure don't know, but would have to think a decent percentage of the fan base would rather be competitive.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Wed May 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Idaho state board of education makes UI's move to the Big Sky Conf. official:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/co ... 15202.html

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:04 pm

Idaho fans are completely insane!!! The latest is now that they are dropping down to FCS, degrees form UI are now being devalued... HOLYS* Vandal Fans THE SKY IS NOT FALLING! You can't even make this sh*t up that they come up with, I swear.

http://www.scout.com/college/idaho/foru ... y-of-idaho

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu May 26, 2016 1:06 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:Idaho fans are completely insane!!! The latest is now that they are dropping down to FCS, degrees form UI are now being devalued... HOLYS* Vandal Fans THE SKY IS NOT FALLING! You can't even make this sh*t up that they come up with, I swear.

Wow. Someone needs to tell them that the Ivy league plays FCS football.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu May 26, 2016 1:59 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:Idaho fans are completely insane!!! The latest is now that they are dropping down to FCS, degrees form UI are now being devalued... HOLYS* Vandal Fans THE SKY IS NOT FALLING! You can't even make this sh*t up that they come up with, I swear.

Honestly, though, we'd be saying a lot of the same things if MSU got moved down to D-II. Sports is really just a marketing arm for a University, and what level you compete at does impact people's perceptions of the academic standing of the school (even though it really shouldn't).

I don't think anyone is going to confuse Idaho with an Ivy League school or any of the other highly regarded private schools in FCS that choose to not to be big time sporting programs.

I do understand their arguments on this front -- it's a step down in prestige and perception for the entire University.

orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by orsalak » Thu May 26, 2016 8:47 pm

SonomaCat wrote:

Honestly, though, we'd be saying a lot of the same things if MSU got moved down to D-II. Sports is really just a marketing arm for a University, and what level you compete at does impact people's perceptions of the academic standing of the school (even though it really shouldn't).

I don't think anyone is going to confuse Idaho with an Ivy League school or any of the other highly regarded private schools in FCS that choose to not to be big time sporting programs.

I do understand their arguments on this front -- it's a step down in prestige and perception for the entire University.
I don't understand the argument. Do you think anyone says wow you got a degree from one of the worst FBS schools..... You are hired. You should have seen the schlub that was in here before he was from a FCS school... what a loser. Or image life on campus here in Moscow 6 Saturday's a year, you and 8 thousand of your friends can watch the beloved vandals lose to some college you have never heard of, Well, That sounds about the same as most FCS schools.
Notre Dame, USC, Texas, Alabama get a boost from the college football experience but most other schools don't get much from the FBS game day. And this takes us back to the power 5 argument.

22-0

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu May 26, 2016 9:22 pm

orsalak wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:

I don't understand the argument. Do you think anyone says wow you got a degree from one of the worst FBS schools..... You are hired. You should have seen the schlub that was in here before he was from a FCS school... what a loser. Or image life on campus here in Moscow 6 Saturday's a year, you and 8 thousand of your friends can watch the beloved vandals lose to some college you have never heard of, Well, That sounds about the same as most FCS schools.
Notre Dame, USC, Texas, Alabama get a boost from the college football experience but most other schools don't get much from the FBS game day. And this takes us back to the power 5 argument.
You've got that correct. To me, the FCS playoffs have to be the worst mistake the NCAA has ever made. Personally, and this is just my own personal experience, the bowls and all of the activities associated with the bowl game is so much more a part of the college experience when you consider the amount of time a family has to plan for a trip and the last game of the season, all the other aspects of the game such as the band, nearby basketball tournaments our school could be playing in, and reconnecting with old friends we went to school with or served with in the military or worked with somewhere. But to each his own. I don't know of very many young engineers who can fly from one side of the country to the other on a weeks notice just to watch a playoff game.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:20 pm

SonomaCat wrote:

When the Eff did Idaho EVER have prestige!?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu May 26, 2016 10:53 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:

When the Eff did Idaho EVER have prestige!?
Man! Gus Johnson. Dan O'Brien. Jerry Kramer. Dennis Erickson (That's right. The egotistical arseholes back in the early 80s wouldn't even grant him an interview then and I guess he's laughing all the way to the bank)...dang. A twenty to thirty pound steelhead versus a damn two or three pound rainbow or brown from the Gallatin or Madison....

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Fri May 27, 2016 9:47 am

I have a friend that was up in Moscow, Idaho for a game. He stopped for a bite to eat, mistakenly left his car unlocked with 2 tickets to the game on the dash. When he finished eating and returned to his car there were 4 tickets to the game on his dash.