Idaho's Future

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:59 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:32 am

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:25 am

The suspense, the drama, the reaction of Vandal fans(both of them), the future of Petrino, Spear, and Staben. Watch the dominoes fall.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:29 am

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:36 am

Stabens popularity rivals Engstroms, evidently.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:00 pm

What about New Mexico State? Any news on what they are going to be doing?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:16 pm

Rich K wrote:What about New Mexico State? Any news on what they are going to be doing?
I've been wondering about that too. I don't think they really have any realistic options for staying in FBS either. I wonder if they might try to join the Southland Conference. Once Idaho formally announces that they're coming back to the BSC, it will make it slightly more palatable for NMSU to follow suit and also drop down. I don't think the BSC would want to expand beyond the 14 teams that they'll have, with the addition of UI, unless they split into two formally affiliated, but separate conferences.

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:04 pm

Rich K wrote:What about New Mexico State? Any news on what they are going to be doing?
"The Big Sky had been pursuing Idaho for a return to the league as a football-playing member. Commissioner Doug Fullerton has said that league is also courting New Mexico State."

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/colle ... 6bae3.html

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:12 pm

DaCats21 wrote:
"The Big Sky had been pursuing Idaho for a return to the league as a football-playing member. Commissioner Doug Fullerton has said that league is also courting New Mexico State."

I say bring them into the fold. Scheduling might be made simpler by having 3 groups of 5 as "rivals". Each team would play all 4 of it's rivals every year and also one home and one away from each of the other two groups. Montana State, Montana, North Dakota, Eastern Washington and Idaho would be a fine group as far as I'm concerned.

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:26 pm

UMass faculty to push for dropping out of FBS
By Zach Barnett Apr 27, 2016

It hasn’t been a good week for the lower rungs of FBS. Just a day ago Eastern Michigan warded off rumors the school would drop to Division II, and earlier today word broke Idaho will leave FBS for FCS. Now UMass will have to join the inauspicious group, as the university’s faculty senate will push to leave FBS or drop football altogether.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... ut-of-fbs/

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:27 pm

DaCats21 wrote:

As far as NMSU goes, I think they should just drop football and stay with the WAC and be a basketball school. Trying to find a forum with any fan interest in football from them is futile.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:39 pm

Rich K wrote:
DaCats21 wrote:

As far as NMSU goes, I think they should just drop football and stay with the WAC and be a basketball school. Trying to find a forum with any fan interest in football from them is futile.
Are you saying that their program is actually in even worse shape than Idaho's? Wow...I didn't think that was possible!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Idaho is a great addition to the BSC. If you're a fan of the league you should ecstatic about this. Perfect fit.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by orsalak » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:18 pm

Holy crap guys I can't stop reading the Idaho board they have some of the craziest and most delusional posts I have ever seen!! One guy said that Big Sky (or little sky as they so cleverly came up with) is unwatchable and in his opinion even the MWC football product is unwatchable, but he loves watching UI!? There are posts stating how bad the crowds are at ISU playing in front of 6-7 thousand fans but their current average is great? My favorite comparison post is how upset we would be(as fans) if MSU, UM, or EWU moved down to DII. What they are missing is these schools are not currently the laughing stock of their level of play and all have had reasonable amounts of success in the last 10 years.
I agree with the fans that moving down a level would be a tough pill to swallow (if we were in their position) but they need to look at who they are and realize that the move up has been a huge failure and they are and always have been a little sky team.

22-0

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:43 pm

PACK THE KITTY DOME!!!

Come on MSU, BEAT THE FBS, own the state.

Wear BLUE and no gold...........

Get those free tickets from all the no shows.

Embarrass the VANDALS.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:08 pm

Montanabob wrote:PACK THE KITTY DOME!!!

Come on MSU, BEAT THE FBS, own the state.

Wear BLUE and no gold...........

Get those free tickets from all the no shows.

Embarrass the VANDALS.

YES!!!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:19 pm

orsalak wrote:Holy crap guys I can't stop reading the Idaho board they have some of the craziest and most delusional posts I have ever seen!! One guy said that Big Sky (or little sky as they so cleverly came up with) is unwatchable and in his opinion even the MWC football product is unwatchable, but he loves watching UI!? There are posts stating how bad the crowds are at ISU playing in front of 6-7 thousand fans but their current average is great? My favorite comparison post is how upset we would be(as fans) if MSU, UM, or EWU moved down to DII. What they are missing is these schools are not currently the laughing stock of their level of play and all have had reasonable amounts of success in the last 10 years.
I agree with the fans that moving down a level would be a tough pill to swallow (if we were in their position) but they need to look at who they are and realize that the move up has been a huge failure and they are and always have been a little sky team.
If I were an Idaho fan the toughest pill to swallow would be a record of 38-138 (21.6%) since 2001. Fourteen of those wins came in 2009-10. That means over the other 13 seasons they averaged 1.8 wins per year. All of you older Bobcat fans will remember that period of great tribulation when the Earle ran the football program. The Bobcats won 27% of their games. It's no wonder some of the Vandal fans are delusional. But still, they have to be some of the truest fans in the world because the bandwaggon was hauled to the dump years ago.

orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by orsalak » Wed May 04, 2016 8:19 pm

Over on the UI board they are talking about a Big Sky/WAC merger and that the WAC has a guarantee FBS status conference. This has come about because of Wichita talking about moving to the MWC and the report on their football options coming to light. The hope is some Big Sky schools will want to move up (um, msu, poly). I think those guys are hoping that we want to be the next Idaho.

22-0

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu May 05, 2016 9:41 am

orsalak wrote:Over on the UI board they are talking about a Big Sky/WAC merger and that the WAC has a guarantee FBS status conference. This has come about because of Wichita talking about moving to the MWC and the report on their football options coming to light. The hope is some Big Sky schools will want to move up (um, msu, poly). I think those guys are hoping that we want to be the next Idaho.
Didn't Fullerton talk about this strategy in one of his online video interviews? It's an interesting theory, although having Idaho join the BSC actually seems to dilute that theory, as they have already proven that they are not capable of pulling off the FBS thing. Although maybe they could if they were surrounded by a conference of comparable schools such as MSU, UM, etc.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:18 am

SonomaCat wrote:
orsalak wrote:Over on the UI board they are talking about a Big Sky/WAC merger and that the WAC has a guarantee FBS status conference. This has come about because of Wichita talking about moving to the MWC and the report on their football options coming to light. The hope is some Big Sky schools will want to move up (um, msu, poly). I think those guys are hoping that we want to be the next Idaho.
Didn't Fullerton talk about this strategy in one of his online video interviews? It's an interesting theory, although having Idaho join the BSC actually seems to dilute that theory, as they have already proven that they are not capable of pulling off the FBS thing. Although maybe they could if they were surrounded by a conference of comparable schools such as MSU, UM, etc.
I think there's a chance that there is a huge split in the FBS between the Power 5 Conferences (the ones with all the money and TV contracts) and the Group of 5 Conferences (Sun Belt, MWC, etc).
What happens then? Do all the Group of 5 schools move to FCS? Is there space in the Group of 5 for other FCS programs to move up? Is there the means to do that?
Money/TV Contracts/TV Exposure will drive that ship.

As a subtext, the Big 12 is getting left behind in the money race (except for Texas). What happens if Oklahoma decides to jump to SEC/Big 10/Pac 10....it could happen, their President has been pounding the expansion table for some time, and he was basically told by the Big 12 to shut up. And Texas doesn't want to expand. If Oklahoma leaves....the Big 12 is in a world of hurt....unless they do something soon.
Money/TV Contracts/TV Exposure will drive that ship.

I don't know the answers. That's why the hire of our new AD, and especially the new Big Sky Commissioner is of prime importance - to help position all of us to not be left behind. Time will tell if we're able to do that, but I think these major changes will happen in the next 5 - 10 years.
Money/TV Contracts/TV Exposure will drive this ship.