Idaho's Future

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GRIZ1STCATS2ND
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:52 pm

Maybe that's what he meant. They aren't tough enough to hoe the independent road.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Idaho's Future

Post by 77matcat » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:09 am

After reading my impression was that he wasn't the sharpest implement in the shed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:01 pm

May 4th...
And the decision is? :-({|=

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:08 pm

Some big time boosters threatening to walk if Vandals go FCS. I don't get it...

https://www.thevandalnation.com/footbal ... ho-in-fbs/

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:27 am

These are the same boosters that couldn't get funding to improve sports facilities at u of I over the last 20 years.
As for representing as quality FBS football, that statement gave me a gag reflex.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:11 am

Montanabob wrote:These are the same boosters that couldn't get funding to improve sports facilities at u of I over the last 20 years.
As for representing as quality FBS football, that statement gave me a gag reflex.
I don't think they really have a choice do they? No conference wants them...not even the lowly Sun Belt. They know from past experience that playing as an Independent is not really a viable option. Really, it comes down to either swallowing their pride and coming back to the BCS/FCS, or dropping football. Those boosters that are so adamant about not going FCS, better be willing to open up their wallets, and throw a bunch of money at the program. They said they wanted more of their current resources to be directed toward athletics, but taking money away from academics and spending it on athletics certainly wouldn't do anything to enhance UI's image as a premier institution of higher learning. Other than that, they didn't really present any kind of a plan, for how Idaho could maintain their program at the FBS level. If they do come back to the BCS, I'll probably find myself despising them and their arrogant, delusional fans, almost as much as I despise UM.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:55 am

Long Time Cat wrote:Some big time boosters threatening to walk if Vandals go FCS. I don't get it...

These boosters are delusional....threatening to take their ball and go home. I found it interesting that they think Moscow will stop supporting the team if the Vandals go FCS.....I guarantee if the Vandals go FCS and start winning some games, you'll see a full Kibbie dome instead of the pathetic crowds they're getting now.

Another question should be posed to the UI boosters.....dropping to FCS in football and maintaining a D1 basketball program diminishes the prestige of the university....correct? Like Villanova?

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:14 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:Some big time boosters threatening to walk if Vandals go FCS. I don't get it...

These boosters are delusional....threatening to take their ball and go home. I found it interesting that they think Moscow will stop supporting the team if the Vandals go FCS.....I guarantee if the Vandals go FCS and start winning some games, you'll see a full Kibbie dome instead of the pathetic crowds they're getting now.

Another question should be posed to the UI boosters.....dropping to FCS in football and maintaining a D1 basketball program diminishes the prestige of the university....correct? Like Villanova?
I agree, they had a chance to support their program while it is FBS and the "boosters" have done jack squat. Why do they think if they threaten now, anyone will take them seriously... They weren't giving the money when they needed too to keep Idaho relevant, So why would the University care what they think or do?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:37 am

I would add all their sports to the decision. If they think the Big Sky is beneath them in football then go ahead and go independent and move all your other sports to the WAC.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:32 am

It seems to me there's a lot of people having a difficult time understanding FCS is in just as much of a bind as a school such as Idaho and the rest of the Power 5 schools. Let's get real, other than North Dakota State who are the FCS schools at this level and why do they bother playing an entire season? Just to make the playoffs? That's all they aspire for after a season of filling stadiums (and you all know who the leaders at our level are, right)? :lol: What's the average attendance on any given Saturday for college football from conference to conference. Y'all hash over and over how these schools fund their programs, the disparity in coaches salaries from conference to conference and how "easy" it is to prepare a team for an unknown opponent, make the logistical connections (and hell, we couldn't get our team out of the Gallatin Valley on a consistent basis for a regular season game with the prior administration but you think somehow it's going to magically improve at our level?) in a week?????? Even good administrators struggle with these type of time constraints and based upon the salary schedules within our athletic department, do you honestly feel we attract quality personnel? When's the last time we've seen accurate, up to date information of our web site? Never!!!!!

We all know with the present playoff system and the television contracts with the major conferences there's not going to be many crumbs fall off the table for the Plus 5 or FCS football. Idaho is in fact being prudent to take the wait and see what happens approach because for all the delusional people lauding the future of podunk football, there's obviously just as many delusional folks thinking the Plus 5 is going to continue in it's present configuration.

With the incredible job growth the Gallatin Valley is experiencing and a visionary leader at MSU, the pending realignment of FCS and Plus 5 schools, whose to say Idaho and their alumni are wrong? For that matter, since there's so many here advocating Idaho drop down to our level, what is the Big Sky record in the FCS playoffs the last three years? When's the last time a Big Sky team won a basketball game in either the men's or women's basketball tournament?

Personally, I'd much rather our school align itself with similar type institutions strictly from the academic side than the schools we're presently playing but that's just me. I'd much prefer we form a new Plus 5 conference with regional schools and strive for a bowl game of some shape or fashion than to continue wasting my time and money for a sudden change in plans based upon the playoff format. And I'm retired. It's pretty difficult for my younger, working friends to just pick up the family and head to a playoff game in less than a week.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:14 am

Cat Grad wrote:It seems to me there's a lot of people having a difficult time understanding FCS is in just as much of a bind as a school such as Idaho and the rest of the Power 5 schools. Let's get real, other than North Dakota State who are the FCS schools at this level and why do they bother playing an entire season? Just to make the playoffs? That's all they aspire for after a season of filling stadiums (and you all know who the leaders at our level are, right)? :lol: What's the average attendance on any given Saturday for college football from conference to conference. Y'all hash over and over how these schools fund their programs, the disparity in coaches salaries from conference to conference and how "easy" it is to prepare a team for an unknown opponent, make the logistical connections (and hell, we couldn't get our team out of the Gallatin Valley on a consistent basis for a regular season game with the prior administration but you think somehow it's going to magically improve at our level?) in a week?????? Even good administrators struggle with these type of time constraints and based upon the salary schedules within our athletic department, do you honestly feel we attract quality personnel? When's the last time we've seen accurate, up to date information of our web site? Never!!!!!

We all know with the present playoff system and the television contracts with the major conferences there's not going to be many crumbs fall off the table for the Plus 5 or FCS football. Idaho is in fact being prudent to take the wait and see what happens approach because for all the delusional people lauding the future of podunk football, there's obviously just as many delusional folks thinking the Plus 5 is going to continue in it's present configuration.

With the incredible job growth the Gallatin Valley is experiencing and a visionary leader at MSU, the pending realignment of FCS and Plus 5 schools, whose to say Idaho and their alumni are wrong? For that matter, since there's so many here advocating Idaho drop down to our level, what is the Big Sky record in the FCS playoffs the last three years? When's the last time a Big Sky team won a basketball game in either the men's or women's basketball tournament?

Personally, I'd much rather our school align itself with similar type institutions strictly from the academic side than the schools we're presently playing but that's just me. I'd much prefer we form a new Plus 5 conference with regional schools and strive for a bowl game of some shape or fashion than to continue wasting my time and money for a sudden change in plans based upon the playoff format. And I'm retired. It's pretty difficult for my younger, working friends to just pick up the family and head to a playoff game in less than a week.
I don't think many of us are as delusional as you think. No one is saying FBS<FCS, but the fact of the matter is Idaho, as it stands right now, does not belong in FBS and their boosters have done nothing to keep them there and through some sort entitlement feel they belong there just because.

When the P5 takes their ball and leaves that's going to cause a huge vacuum in FBS. I think this will cause many FCS school to get invites to G5 conferences to fill in the gaps, I could see at least 4 schools from our conference making the jump as well as a possible FBS Big Sky conference, which I think would be the best spot for us and a university like Idaho. In 2 years college football is going to look a lot different.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:44 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:It seems to me there's a lot of people having a difficult time understanding FCS is in just as much of a bind as a school such as Idaho and the rest of the Power 5 schools. Let's get real, other than North Dakota State who are the FCS schools at this level and why do they bother playing an entire season? Just to make the playoffs? That's all they aspire for after a season of filling stadiums (and you all know who the leaders at our level are, right)? :lol: What's the average attendance on any given Saturday for college football from conference to conference. Y'all hash over and over how these schools fund their programs, the disparity in coaches salaries from conference to conference and how "easy" it is to prepare a team for an unknown opponent, make the logistical connections (and hell, we couldn't get our team out of the Gallatin Valley on a consistent basis for a regular season game with the prior administration but you think somehow it's going to magically improve at our level?) in a week?????? Even good administrators struggle with these type of time constraints and based upon the salary schedules within our athletic department, do you honestly feel we attract quality personnel? When's the last time we've seen accurate, up to date information of our web site? Never!!!!!

I don't think many of us are as delusional as you think. No one is saying FBS<FCS, but the fact of the matter is Idaho, as it stands right now, does not belong in FBS and their boosters have done nothing to keep them there and through some sort entitlement feel they belong there just because.

When the P5 takes their ball and leaves that's going to cause a huge vacuum in FBS. I think this will cause many FCS school to get invites to G5 conferences to fill in the gaps, I could see at least 4 schools from our conference making the jump as well as a possible FBS Big Sky conference, which I think would be the best spot for us and a university like Idaho. In 2 years college football is going to look a lot different.
We evidently agree on the thought that both FCS and the Plus 5 conferences are in a great deal of hurt over the P5 format as it is now and is only going to get stronger. Evidently the only aspect we may disagree with is the route Idaho chooses to take in the inevitable change. I think many schools being subjected to the farce (in my opinion it's a farce and we are all entitled to an opinion) called the FCS playoffs. It's ludicrous to expect smaller athletic budgets to have the resources immediately at hand to arrange for on such short notice a one week logistical support mission to move a team and all the supporting cast to an undetermined destination just to play in front of a junior high attendance wise football game. To me, that's not what college football is about. I enjoy the entire atmosphere of a college football game including the week long activities associated with game day which in and of itself is like a mini vacation to me.

If I were an Idaho grad living within driving distance of Moscow, I doubt I'd head there for a game against someone from the other side of the country. I like to think, and again this is just my opinion, the changing scenery of the FCS playoffs and conference alignments did more to destroy the natural rivalry of regional schools than any other aspect of the G5 schools. Certainly Idaho losing Boise, ISU, Weber, Nevada and both Montana schools as opponents devastated their attendance. But their alumni have some very valid points. I know I wouldn't support playing EWU, Portland State, the California Schools, SUU, Northern Colorado if I were vested emotionally in that school. No way. And guess what? I firmly believe many of the transplants into the Gallatin feel the same way about our team. If we had a larger seating capacity and a much larger regional competitive opponent, I like to think our game day experience would be beyond what most of us older folks ever imagined.

You know, let's face it. Bozeman with the influx of over 1000 highly paid technical jobs alone is about to become a much larger presence nationally than we all thought possible while going to school there.

http://www.kbzk.com/story/28622503/boze ... ty-leaders

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

We evidently agree on the thought that both FCS and the Plus 5 conferences are in a great deal of hurt over the P5 format as it is now and is only going to get stronger. Evidently the only aspect we may disagree with is the route Idaho chooses to take in the inevitable change. I think many schools being subjected to the farce (in my opinion it's a farce and we are all entitled to an opinion) called the FCS playoffs. It's ludicrous to expect smaller athletic budgets to have the resources immediately at hand to arrange for on such short notice a one week logistical support mission to move a team and all the supporting cast to an undetermined destination just to play in front of a junior high attendance wise football game. To me, that's not what college football is about. I enjoy the entire atmosphere of a college football game including the week long activities associated with game day which in and of itself is like a mini vacation to me.

If I were an Idaho grad living within driving distance of Moscow, I doubt I'd head there for a game against someone from the other side of the country. I like to think, and again this is just my opinion, the changing scenery of the FCS playoffs and conference alignments did more to destroy the natural rivalry of regional schools than any other aspect of the G5 schools. Certainly Idaho losing Boise, ISU, Weber, Nevada and both Montana schools as opponents devastated their attendance. But their alumni have some very valid points. I know I wouldn't support playing EWU, Portland State, the California Schools, SUU, Northern Colorado if I were vested emotionally in that school. No way. And guess what? I firmly believe many of the transplants into the Gallatin feel the same way about our team. If we had a larger seating capacity and a much larger regional competitive opponent, I like to think our game day experience would be beyond what most of us older folks ever imagined.

You know, let's face it. Bozeman with the influx of over 1000 highly paid technical jobs alone is about to become a much larger presence nationally than we all thought possible while going to school there.

I get where your coming from, I guess the way I look at it if they come back to the BSC for a couple years they can at least start rebuilding their program and at the same time the attendance at the Kibbie dome will at least double. To me, that's the writing on the wall, it may not be a easy pill to swallow, but I believe it's a necessary evil for Idaho to get back on track, otherwise I see them nothing more than a FBS doormat for eternity. They need to put Moscow on the map, otherwise who'd go to Moscow?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:46 pm

I'm pretty sure the NCAA covers the travel costs for the playoffs. If you want the athletic department to lose money. A bowl game will do just that. They are,IMO, equivalent to a participation ribbon.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:07 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

I get where your coming from, I guess the way I look at it if they come back to the BSC for a couple years they can at least start rebuilding their program and at the same time the attendance at the Kibbie dome will at least double. To me, that's the writing on the wall, it may not be a easy pill to swallow, but I believe it's a necessary evil for Idaho to get back on track, otherwise I see them nothing more than a FBS doormat for eternity. They need to put Moscow on the map, otherwise who'd go to Moscow?
Well, I suppose it's because I remember a few years ago when we essentially had just the major conferences and small college football. One of the most asinine moves, again my opinion, was when the NCAA powers that be chose to break up the small colleges and limit scholarships by level in 1978. So many of the small schools we used to play and could even get to come to Bozeman (North Texas, Fresno, etc.) moved up and we stayed small.

Next year we get a school to come to MSU that'll only be in their third year as a football playing school, Kennesaw State. But, just like Georgia State, South Florida and a few others who played a year or a few before moving up, FCS is still pretty much a stepping stone.

As far as Idaho remaining an FBS doormat? It all begins with the administration. Just like Mark Few is going to remain in Spokane (who'd want to go there????) because of the steelhead fishing, I can't think of very many places for steelhead than Moscow on the lower 48. Plus, according to my oldest son who is an Idaho by-product, most of the Wazzu kids head to Moscow for stuff to do on the weekends.

Anyway, because many of us would like to see Idaho come back we'll continue to hear everyone complain that they're out there all by themselves. But, so is Wyoming, the two viable Utah schools (and that one in Provo) and I'm old enough to remember when the two Arizona schools were in the WAC. I guess all it says about all of us out here in the west is that we're pretty unstable and can't seem to come to any consensus as to the direction we want to go with anything. Indecisiveness seems to be our strong suit...

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:19 pm

In 2015 the Vandals played six home games in the 16,000 capacity Kibbie Dome all vs. FBS schools. They "packed in" a total of 71,108 fans, or 11,851 per game. How many folks do you think will be on hand when they embarrass themselves by bringing in the likes of "drop-down" FCS, Big Sky opponent Montana State University in September?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:44 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:In 2015 the Vandals played six home games in the 16,000 capacity Kibbie Dome all vs. FBS schools. They "packed in" a total of 71,108 fans, or 11,851 per game. How many folks do you think will be on hand when they embarrass themselves by bringing in the likes of "drop-down" FCS, Big Sky opponent Montana State University in September?
It's one of the few games they'll be favored to win, so if you're an Idaho fan, I'd think you'd want to show up. But who knows, maybe some of their fans will feel like they're too good for us.

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:54 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:In 2015 the Vandals played six home games in the 16,000 capacity Kibbie Dome all vs. FBS schools. They "packed in" a total of 71,108 fans, or 11,851 per game. How many folks do you think will be on hand when they embarrass themselves by bringing in the likes of "drop-down" FCS, Big Sky opponent Montana State University in September?
It's one of the few games they'll be favored to win, so if you're an Idaho fan, I'd think you'd want to show up. But who knows, maybe some of their fans will feel like they're too good for us.
I believe on some level Coach Chaote is going to be double motivated knowing the Bobcat-Vandal film will be deeply dissected by his former coach-mates at the University of Washington, UI's next opponent.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:14 pm

Posters on GoVandals are now saying Idaho is heading back to the Big Sky. Something must have leaked because they're all bummed out. They'll get over it. 8)

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:11 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:Posters on GoVandals are now saying Idaho is heading back to the Big Sky. Something must have leaked because they're all bummed out. They'll get over it. 8)
Some of the ideas over there make my silly suggestion of Stu Starner for AD appear sane!

For instance:
Idaho, UMass, NDSU, NMSU, Maybe the Montana, MSU, BYU. It wouldn't look horrible being that most of these schools are fairly close to each other.
At least they get the idea the NDSU, Montana, and Montana State belong in a conference with them. BYU? You betcha! :lol: :lol: UMass would be the Idaho of the conference. :lol: :lol:

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act