Twin 7 footers from Kalispell

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Twin 7 footers from Kalispell

Post by mslacat » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:12 am

Found on the net:
Too Little, Too Late?

Don't tell the seven foot twins Jacob and John Nonemacher that they are too little or too late. Four years after graduating form Flathead High School in Kalispell Montana, John put some action to his dream of playing College basketball. He sent out 30 emails to college basketball coaches across the Nation. Only 5 coaches responded back. What were the other 25 thinking? (They all apparently had met their quota of twin 7-foot centers, after all, twin 7 foot centers are easy to come by, why would they respond to yet another set of them?)

Four years ago they graduated high school without any organized team experience. They were cut from the high school team as juniors. They were both only 6'8". Who needs 6'8" players in high school? It's either 7' or your cut!

Both boys continued to play in recreational leagues and would walk around their high school gym until they could find a door that was unlocked. They would play one-on-one for hours. (I remember banging on my high school gym door a certain way to make it pop open. I also remember working out one night and hearing a helicopter outside. Shortly after, what seemed like a full swat team stormed the gym searching for the break-in criminal. You talk about being scared. I think I avoided arrest when I showed them my name on the wall as the high school's all time leading scorer.)

Coach Eddie Andrist from the University of Wisconsin-Stout in Menomonee, Wisconsin expressed the most interest. John and Jacob went to visit the school and Coach Andrist. Although they hadn't had much organized coaching, Andrist liked what he saw. He wasn't expecting them to be able to dribble and chew gum and the same time. Coach Andrist was pleasantly surprised at their skill level. They had good athletic ability, and showed good basic fundamentals and body mechanics.

It was a perfect match. That was two years ago. Last year the Blue Devils were ranked 18th in the Nation for Division III basketball. This year they are hoping to be as good. John has some injuries that have slowed him down some. Jacob is a pre-season All American candidate. They have even grabbed the attention of some overseas teams as well as an NBA scout or two.

This is another perfect example of why kids need to continue to chase their dreams and work hard to achieve their goals. Youth coaches need to continue to encourage kids and be committed to helping them improve their skill level. Don't write someone off too early because they haven't reached full physical maturity. Remember that developmental maturity comes at different ages for everyone. Youth coaches need to give hope and provide opportunity for many chances for success.

"Believe in yourself. Coaches can make wrong decisions. They don't know everything about you. If you want something, you need to do the work yourself. It takes hard work." This is the encouragement John Nonemacher wants to relay to kids.

"Don't be closed-minded. Don't think you have to play at a division I school. There is great competition at the division III level," says Jacob.

OK coaches, let's stay encouraged and motivated and never tire of giving hope to those who seem too little or too late!