BIG TIME RUMOR FROM THE GRIZ BB PROGRAM

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

BIG TIME RUMOR FROM THE GRIZ BB PROGRAM

Post by mslacat » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:45 am

**************** RUMOR ALERT ***************

As the title implies, I have a juicy rumor to relay. Over on the Griz board there have been multiple threads about Krysco leaving to accept a coaching position with a pro club. Last year when Mike Montgomery was hired by Sacramento months after Krysco took the job at UM and then again after Phil Jackson started talking with the Lakers again. Krysco has ties to both coaches. I have heard these rumors, and they do make logic sense to me, but have not heard any credible source that would lend any truth to them. When Krysco was an assistant coach for UM I had many opportunities to talk basketball with him and he made it quite clear that college ball was a stepping stone. Not only was the money better in the pro's but as a ex-NBA player there was what I interpreted as an ego thing to be in the "BIG leagues" plus it was not small rumor that the Mrs. really preferred the bright light out side of Missoula.

Well I have just heard from a pretty good source that all of this may be coming into being. The Basketball insiders at Um were rocked this last week with the possible news that Krysco has indeed accepted a position on Mike Montgomery's staff. Krysco, it is reported, will publically start the position this fall, as close to the start of classes as they can push back the announcement. The idea is not to lose any of his outstanding incoming class. Tinkle has already been notified that at that time he will be officially take over the program as the Interim Head Coach.

Again this is a Rumor but damn juicy one.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:56 am

I know Larry a little bit & if this is true, I wish him well in the NBA.

If I were Mick, I think I'd rather recruit/coach against Tinkle than Krysko so if this does happen, I think the Cats just widened the gap with dUMb a bit more...

Also, if your comments are true about him waiting so that they essentially "trap" those incoming kids, at least for 1 year, I think that's a chickensh!t move. If those kids wanted to play for Larry and he's not going to be there, they owe it to those kids to let them reconsider; if they wanted to play for dUMb, they'll come anyway, right?

And now, inevitably, the pathetic griz fans will tell me that I'd want our coaches to pull the same stunt if the situation in question was at MSU; and no, I wouldn't think it was fair for our guys to do it either. Think about it; if you "trick" a kid who picked your school mainly because of the head coach, do you REALLY think he's going to stick around once he can legally leave? If he does stay, don't you think he's going to be pretty damned unhappy?

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:57 am

If it turns out to be reality, that ranks right up there with the all-time great bulletin board scoops, mslacat!

Just to clarify -- you say he's going to coach with Montgomery? If so, Montgomery is with Golden State (who definitely need a good big man coach).

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:36 am

Bay Area Cat wrote:If it turns out to be reality, that ranks right up there with the all-time great bulletin board scoops, mslacat!

Just to clarify -- you say he's going to coach with Montgomery? If so, Montgomery is with Golden State (who definitely need a good big man coach).
OOPS, Yes it would be Golden State not Sacamento, you know all those Northern California pretenders to the crown all look the same.

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:04 pm

Makes enough sense.
El_Gato wrote: If I were Mick, I think I'd rather recruit/coach against Tinkle than Krysko so if this does happen, I think the Cats just widened the gap with dUMb a bit more...
Not sure you are thinking straight on this one. Tinkle seems to like Missoula, and would settle down there. He's been active in Montana (recently) longer than Krysco, and knows more about how the 'Sky works. Plus, that gives the Griz good connections to NBA programs. Griz basketball is on the upswing, winning the conference tourney two of the last four years. A coach in it for the long haul might really put the Griz in a good situation.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:33 pm

There is a reason why Tinkle has been passed over numerous times for the head job. He may get the interim tag by default, but I would be shocked if he ended up getting the head job down the road.

GO CATS GO!!!

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:21 pm

BozoneCat wrote:There is a reason why Tinkle has been passed over numerous times for the head job. He may get the interim tag by default, but I would be shocked if he ended up getting the head job down the road.
UM requires a college degree, which I believe he now has.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:10 pm

I'm fairly certain that Larry K's college & pro career's would be far more interesting/appealing to a recruit than would Tink's. That's my main point about recruiting. If I'm a recruit and an interested head coach starts telling me about the times he played with and/or against Shaq, MJ, Barkley, etc., I'm pretty sure that coach just got some "brownie points" in my book...

With Tinks, Mick doesn't face that "disadvantage", IMO.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:33 pm

El_Gato wrote:I'm fairly certain that Larry K's college & pro career's would be far more interesting/appealing to a recruit than would Tink's. That's my main point about recruiting. If I'm a recruit and an interested head coach starts telling me about the times he played with and/or against Shaq, MJ, Barkley, etc., I'm pretty sure that coach just got some "brownie points" in my book...

With Tinks, Mick doesn't face that "disadvantage", IMO.

I have heard though, that Tinkle has a certain Charisma, though, that Krysco lacks. But hell we have gotten 15 year with Durham so....... :roll:

CatFamily
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CatFamily » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:42 pm

Montana State has been very fortunate to have Mick D for 14 plus years as the program has been solid and they have competed very well in the Sky for the vast majority of those years. It would be a good thing for UM if the rumor being true they bring in someone like Tinkle and he would stay for a long period. Coaching musical chairs sucks for the schools and fans... although it gives the forums lots to talk about!

Montana State Fighting Bobcats reign supreme