2005 Big Sky Conference comaprison to Previous Years

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatFamily
BobcatNation Letterman

2005 Big Sky Conference comaprison to Previous Years

Post by CatFamily » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:57 pm

In all the talk about the football teams in the 2005 Big Sky Conference, how does the conference as a whole stack up to previous years Big Sky football?

Montana State Fighting Bobcats reign supreme

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:24 pm

I believe the Big Sky was rated the strongest conference in 1-AA in 2003, at least acording to one of the rankings I saw. Believe we were 2nd or 3rd last year. Not sure what 2005 will look like but I doubt we'll be as high as we were in 03. I believe these are calculated based on the GPI - Gridiron Power Index.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Hell's Bells
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hell's Bells » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:28 am

honestly as far as teams that goto the playoffs this year is going to be one of the top years but you also have to include the weber states, suck states, northern colorados, Northern Arizonas, and PSUs of the conference...wait i mentioned most of the conference

This space for rent....

CatFamily
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CatFamily » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:16 am

My gut feeling is the Big Sky will represent itself well this year. I can see the BS as the number 2 rated conference. In the long run I think No. Colorado will be a good solid conference member... but they have a long way to go facility wise and building a solid fan base. Although Portland State has been a fairly good program in the BS I am not fond of either them or Sac State having so much control over the expansion issue.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:45 pm

i think the big sky gets a minimum of 2 into the playoffs.

JahGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by JahGriz » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:30 pm

I agree hokey, no less than 2. It is hard to say how other conferences will look. Gateway could sneek up on anybody, A10 appears to get stronger each year, Southland could do some great things. I can't see Furman and GSU not both making the playoffs. Some Patriot league teams have been stepping it up.
Maybe it is just me, but I-AA seems to be really getting strong at the top, possibly always been that way. Possibly it is coming back into its own after the loss of teams like Troy, Marshal, Boise, Idaho, Nevada, etc.
But the Big Sky looks like it is going to be a tough azzed conference regardless. PSU, I think will be tough. I think their O is going to be considerably better than last year, regardless of the loss of Wiser and Fuqua. The things their coach said about Nic Costa are scary. He also said Jordan Carey may redshirt. That says volumes about how their O could be to me. Who knows how NAU will do. UM should be strong, regardless of questions, I can't see MSU not being tough, and EWU will be tough. To me that makes 4 playoff cabable teams in UM, MSU, EWU, and PSU. And that is without regard for teams that have could have big turn arounds like NAU, ISU, and less likely but still possible SAC and Weber.
Yes, another interesting year of football is starting, and I for one couldn't be more excited.

CatFamily
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CatFamily » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:55 pm

JahGriz, what do you think the possibilities of 3 from the Big Sky? It is always a long shot for sure, probably will depend on the non conference schedules and wins, which for some teams will be a difficult road. No more than 3 losses or you will be out.

JahGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by JahGriz » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:28 pm

I think you are absolutely right about OOC for the BSC, CatFamily. If BSC teams show well in OOC it could definately happen. Though it will still be very tough, I think. There are so dang many good deserving teams in I-AA. And BSC teams seem to have some tough OOC games, and a ton of I-A's. PSU has a tough road with two almost un-win-able I-As and UC Davis who could be solid..or not :roll: . Cats have NDSU, Cal Poly, SFA, and Okie St, which at this point looks very tough. EWU can beat San Jose, have a DII, and Cal Poly and UNC. UM's has Cal Poly, Oregon of course, DII, and SDSU. So to me, schedule wise, I think it might depend on who is on the bubble to make the playoffs. If PSU is on the bubble they may get screwed with having two I-A losses. If MSU is on the bubble and wins their OOC, I see them making it. UM better not be on the bubble unless SDSU and Cal Poly are very good and we beat them soundly.
It is so hard to say. Most people thought UM's schedule last year was going to be brutal. UNC was supposed to be good, but wasn't, Maine was supposed to be at the top of the A-10 if not winning it, SHSU was good some didn't think they would be, there were differing opinions on how good Hofstra was going to be. A few A-10 fans told me they would be very good, most BSC fans didn't think they would be. That seems to be close to the boat the cats are in this with strength of schedule. SFA could be a great team..or not. Cal Poly should be very good, but things may not work out for them, NDSU should be tough..could drop off, though I doubt it.
I won't drone on, and go into the rest of the BSC teams, you summed it up, it is a long shot, but the chances will go up or down depending on the team who ends up on the bubble and their OOC.