Montana company gives to UW

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Montana company gives to UW

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:41 pm

First Interstate Bank, based in Billings, with most of their outlets in Montana, donates to the University of Wyoming athletic departmen. :shock:

Link: http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.ph ... nation.inc

I don't know if it should, but this kind of rubs me the wrong way. Have they ever given this kind of dough to a Montana school?

Edit: I checked their web site, and they more branches in Wyoming than I thought. I don't remember them having that many. Still, I wonder if they've given to the Montana schools like that.
Last edited by Cat-theotherwhitemeat on Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:46 pm

Sounds like the Wyoming workers start it out though. Casper branch matches the Casper workers donation then the parent company matches again.

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:48 pm

jagur1 wrote:Sounds like the Wyoming workers start it out though. Casper branch matches the Casper workers donation then the parent company matches again.
Don't try and make sense of this. I need something to rant about....damn it Jag! :wink:

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

mquast53000
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by mquast53000 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:50 pm

Cat-theotherwhitemeat wrote:
jagur1 wrote:Sounds like the Wyoming workers start it out though. Casper branch matches the Casper workers donation then the parent company matches again.
Don't try and make sense of this. I need something to rant about....damn it Jag! :wink:
Meat I am so fired up that I could spit nails! Wyoming! ERRRRRRRR!!!!! :P :P

FTG

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:51 pm

spit nails??? Man, I'm glad I'm not standing next to you tonight at the Depot. :wink:

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:56 pm

It's a family owned bank, and they are from Wyoming (I'm pretty sure). I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot of UW alums in their family.

This is obviously a personal bias, but I still can't figure out why anyone would go to school at UW, unless it's about cheap tuition.
Last edited by SonomaCat on Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:05 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:It's a family owned bank, and they are from Wyoming (I'm pretty sure). I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot of UW alums in their family.

This is obviously a personal bias, but I still can't figure out why anyone would go to school at UW, unless it's about cheap tuition.
I think they may be from Wyoming. It's the Scott family isn't it? Anyway, a friend of mine showed me an amazing house up on the rims in Billings and said it was the owner of FIB. Said it cost around 7 million! Don't know if it's true, but man if it is....lucky bastard either way.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:11 pm

While first interstate Bank is Montana based company, they have a huge presence in Wyoming including some central loan processing facilities. I know the Missoula branches contribute big buck to the Griz and would guess that do the same for MSU. Matter of fact I thought one of our regular posters worked for FIB in bozeman.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:13 pm

mslacat wrote:.... Matter of fact I thought one of our regular posters worked for FIB in bozeman.
Let's stone him. :wink:

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:13 am

Yes, FIB is primarily owned by the Scott family, and they pretty much all went to WYO as I believe their roots are in Sheridan. FIB is also the main sponsor of the border war in basketball. FIB gives to both major Montana Universities (as well as some of the smaller ones), but not on the scale that they donate to WYO... we also miss out on the Scott Family Trust donations. :(

We'll find a big money donor one of these days.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:08 am

Alas yet another rich engineer that didn't go to Bozo :( (old man Scott made his money working for Peter Kewit) (you know the saying what do old retired Kewit guys do with all the money? Buy a bank)

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:15 pm

I first thought you meant University of Washington. Bad Montana company for supporting the Fluskies!

Then again, Pepsi gives money to Montana State, so it evens out. I'm just waiting for the University of Montana to reward the beverage contract to Big Sky Bewing Company. Nothing like local Drool.

NavyBlue
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NavyBlue » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:17 am

I thought that First Interstate Bank got bought out by Wells Fargo?

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:22 am

NavyBlue wrote:I thought that First Interstate Bank got bought out by Wells Fargo?
I believe that was Norwest.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:23 am

NavyBlue wrote:I thought that First Interstate Bank got bought out by Wells Fargo?
The Montana-based FIB wasn't a part of the national bank that was purchased by WF. I'm sure exactly what the arrangement was and how they ended up sharing the name, but when the national FIB/WF merger happened, FIB Montana remained independent and privately owned.

NavyBlue
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NavyBlue » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:25 pm

Thanks, BAC.

BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobCatFan » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:32 pm

I thought the look FIB was a franchise bank of the parent bank. The Scott Family purchased the name and remained independent.