More Big Sky expansion (UNC vs. NDSU) talk

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:12 am

jagur1 wrote:We don't know if the BSU thing is a sucess yet? Yes for 5 years but in 20 years? or 40 years? When I'm 80 and people are talking about BSU as an equal to Washington yes. U of Miami is the only school that I can think of that has really come from no place.

And what is sucess? U of Miami isn't a very good college that has let thugs take the University to national attention via football. I'd rather be Northwestern or Vanderbilt. ( A good academic University in a big conference that isn't any good in football)
Or how about Stanford, Michigan or USC? Three excellent academic institutions who have pretty good football teams.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:15 am

Stanford? If you can have both great but if you have to have one or the other.

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

PortlandCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by PortlandCat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:14 pm

As a Vandy alum I will second the notion that it is a great academic institution. I will also say that it would much more competitive in football in the Pac 10. I love the Ducks, but the SEC is tougher and deeper than the Pac 10.

WYOBISONMAN
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by WYOBISONMAN » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:59 am

I would have to say that Boise State has made a very successful jump, no doubt. However, from every school that has attempted the move to 1A, there are a lot of failures.....

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:49 pm

PortlandCat, the SEC is not tougher than the Pac-!0 in football. If anyone looks at the non-conference schedules SEC teams play, one can see why the confernece always does miserable in the Sagharin ratings (few road games, and heavy on I-AA/Sun Belt creampuffs). The SEC talks tough football, but I won't believe it until an SEC team beats a BCS team on the road.
WYOBISONMAN wrote:I would have to say that Boise State has made a very successful jump, no doubt. However, from every school that has attempted the move to 1A, there are a lot of failures.....
Sucesses: UCONN, Boise State, Marshall.
Maybe: South Florida, UCF, Nevada, La. Tech, North Texas (Dominating crappy Sun Belt), Troy State.
Failures: Buffalo, Arkansas St., Idaho, La. Mo., Mid Tenn., FAU, FIU, FAMU.

The main trend is teams that move into the Sun Belt conference have a tendency to fail. A few programs have done very well, and the plurality are unspectacular programs but decent.

mquast53000
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by mquast53000 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:55 pm

Gecko-

I would not class UCONN with Boise and Marshal, one ok year doesn’t mean that they have done well. UCF with 0-11 year is looking more and more like a failure. I don’t know about La. Tech being in the middle of the road, they are closer to failure I think.

FTG