Jack McGillis accepts a full ride to...............

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Jack McGillis accepts a full ride to...............

Post by mslacat » Mon May 23, 2005 1:24 pm

Oregon State University.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon May 23, 2005 1:36 pm

Good for him-I hope he does well there. It will be interesting to see if Durham and Kriskowiak really missed on this kid or not.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon May 23, 2005 1:50 pm

HelenaCat wrote:Good for him-I hope he does well there. It will be interesting to see if Durham and Kriskowiak really missed on this kid or not.
.... or whether he bounces back to one of the Montana schools.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue May 24, 2005 10:29 am

Or as a WR for Carroll football!!!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

BleedsBlue&Gold
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BleedsBlue&Gold » Wed May 25, 2005 8:48 am

There is no way Jack is coming back to a MT school. He IS a legit 1-A player.

Durham and Krysko both blew it, BIG TIME.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Wed May 25, 2005 9:02 am

BleedsBlue&Gold wrote:There is no way Jack is coming back to a MT school. He IS a legit 1-A player.

Durham and Krysko both blew it, BIG TIME.
I only saw him play one time, but from that game I have to agree with this statement.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Wed May 25, 2005 11:21 am

I don't know if he'll come back, but I disagree that he is Pac 10 caliber. I saw him play several games his junior & senior year. He struck me as a decent Big Sky sub at best. There is NO WAY I saw someone capable of competing at Pac 10 level, unless that level is far weaker than I've imagined. I attended Gonzaga's final home game last season and I can't even begin to imagine McGillis ever sniffing the floor in that game.

He had ONE decent season against WEAK AA talent in Montana. IMHO, any kid capable of actually playing in the Pac 10 would have SHREDDED teams in AA this past season.

I have no ill will toward the kid, but I think these teams just fell in love with his size and his 3 pt % without bothering to realize that he didn't even average making TWO of them per game last season.

I'm sure now that I've said this, he'll end up being Pac 10 freshman of the year and will go on to lead OSU to the Final Four a couple of times...

:lol:
Last edited by El_Gato on Wed May 25, 2005 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

JahGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by JahGriz » Wed May 25, 2005 12:05 pm

People were all over Kennedy for not recruiting Henkle (though not the same potential as McGillis). Not sure if MSU fans were the same as some Griz fans, thinking passing on Henkle was a big mistake. Low and behold Kennedy was right. But it just goes to show you that coaches have different expecations..and different needs for that matter.
Looks to me like both UM and MSU have done quite well recruiting this year. It seems both teams wanted him for a scholarship next year, so it isn't as if they completely blew him off. UM had different needs by the time McGillis was being considered a legit prospect. Just my less than expert opinion.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed May 25, 2005 2:29 pm

JahGriz wrote:People were all over Kennedy for not recruiting Henkle (though not the same potential as McGillis). Not sure if MSU fans were the same as some Griz fans, thinking passing on Henkle was a big mistake. Low and behold Kennedy was right. But it just goes to show you that coaches have different expecations..and different needs for that matter.
Looks to me like both UM and MSU have done quite well recruiting this year. It seems both teams wanted him for a scholarship next year, so it isn't as if they completely blew him off. UM had different needs by the time McGillis was being considered a legit prospect. Just my less than expert opinion.
If McGillis is a legit PAC-10 recruit . BOTH school have to recruit him reguardless of possition or need PERIOD. How many PAC-10 calibure players are on UM or MSU's teams. Zero nadda! The excuse that he did not fall into the recruiting class is assinine. It is an excuse both coaches will use. Big Sky schools rarely get a chance even recruit a PAC-10 player. If you have a chance to sign one, you sign him and then rearange your recruiting priorites. Chances like that do not come along very often, esspecially if a kid can play multiple possitions, and he is a Montana kid you do not ask questions, you sign him!

The question come up is he a PAC-10 player, we will know in about 2-3 years or sooner, but three Pac-10 schools thought so not to mention a Big -10 school (granted it was Northwestern)

JahGriz

Post by JahGriz » Wed May 25, 2005 2:51 pm

wow mslacat...simma down now. First of all where did I say he was a legit PAC 10 player. I don't think he is.
UM had different needs by the time McGillis was being considered a legit prospect
As you can see, I said a "legit prospect", implying a legit prospect for the Griz by the structure of my entire sentance.
There are a ton of legit prospects the Griz don't offer. Now if he was considered a legit PAC 10 prospect by Krysko and the Griz still had other needs to fill, they might want to get him regardless, I agree, but obviously that isn't the case. Some think he is PAC 10 legit, some think he is Big Sky legit, some think he is Big Sky wait and see.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed May 25, 2005 6:36 pm

JahGriz wrote:wow mslacat...simma down now. First of all where did I say he was a legit PAC 10 player. I don't think he is.
UM had different needs by the time McGillis was being considered a legit prospect
As you can see, I said a "legit prospect", implying a legit prospect for the Griz by the structure of my entire sentance.
There are a ton of legit prospects the Griz don't offer. Now if he was considered a legit PAC 10 prospect by Krysko and the Griz still had other needs to fill, they might want to get him regardless, I agree, but obviously that isn't the case. Some think he is PAC 10 legit, some think he is Big Sky legit, some think he is Big Sky wait and see.
JaGriz
Sorry, I was not venting on you but on Krysco and Durham. I have said before I am bias towards McGillis, as such I do not trust my self to judge correct level of conference he was capable of playing in. I definitely thought he was Big Sky level material despite the bias, but PAC-10 surprised me. In the future if I hear Krysco or Durham say "Boy I would have liked to have signed him but I did not have a scholarship for him” I am going to get all Medieval on their butts! If he does excel at Oregon State /Pac-10 the only acceptable answer will be "Boy we screwed up on that one!" Either program could have signed Jack on signing day if they would have made a legitimate effort and offer!

cats22
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cats22 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:01 pm

You guys are acting like jack is the last good recruit that'll be around for along time. I can name off atleast 10 juniors who could be possible D-1 players, and three or four that are almost shoe-ins. Start off with Howard from Great Falls, he's 6-6 now, had a great sophomore season and did very well against jack. Plus how many sophs can lead the AA in rebounding not many but he did. Other two that are right there are Derek Selvig 6-9 from Glendive very skilled for his size. Edwards for butte is 6-8 and can be very dangerous shot blocker. Hurley from Anaconda is another one. 6-5 guard who can shoot the lights out. A Robison from west could end up being Big Sky. I am still holding out on Tatarka he is small but boy he can shoot. And if Casey Durham can compete in the Big Sky than he can right now. One you haven't heard of is 6-7 swing player Phil Barndt from Billings Central very talented little skinny but good. So theres just a few. It'll be interesting to see where Selvig and Howard end up they are pretty special players.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:08 pm

I wonder if Selvig has any connections in Grizland?? :D

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:20 pm

Cat-theotherwhitemeat wrote:I wonder if Selvig has any connections in Grizland?? :D
Naaaaaw

What is a dad who was an all confrence guard!
An Uncle who is a coaching legend
A niece who also played!

BTW: Rumors:

I hear Derek is attending the Bobcat basketball camp!
Is he attending the Griz camp?
I hear Derek really wants to play for a personal friend of his dad, Stew Morril

Bobby Howard the top recruit in the Junior to be class, dad has been and is a coach for the the Bobcat Basketball camps! Along with his Mom being a former three time (or was it 4 time)all conference player for the Bobcats

Hurley is the son of former Bobcat (he transfered out after his freshman year) Scott Hurley, and nephew of former griz Rob Hurley.

I hear Edwards from Butte is a cousin of former Griz player & Butte native Bob Olsen (I can not confirm this though)

BleedsBlue&Gold
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BleedsBlue&Gold » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:22 pm

The Edwards info is a fact.

He was over at the griz camp last week. He snuffed MSU's b-ball camp last year. Don't know about this year.

He has great talent. I just don't see any motivation with him though. I am surprised, especially with having Thatcher for a coach.

Thatcher uses the old Vince Lombardi theory. "If you aren't motivated, you will be motivated."

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:47 pm

Maybe that's exactly why -- burnout. I had one of those coaches in high school, and unless you are the type who responds well to screaming, it can actually be very demotivating. It can make a game that should be fun feel like a bad job.

I know nothing about the people you guys are talking about, but was just gleaning a theory from the previous post.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:25 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:Maybe that's exactly why -- burnout. I had one of those coaches in high school, and unless you are the type who responds well to screaming, it can actually be very demotivating. It can make a game that should be fun feel like a bad job.
I think it depends on whether the "screaming" is motivational or demeaning. Bob Green at MT. Tech is an example- he only has one volume level, whether it's coaching football or ordering a burger at the local restaurant . He has put together a good program and the few players I know who went there because they weren't quite up to 1-AA liked to play for him.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

KitCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by KitCat » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:02 pm

8) GO BEAVERS!!! 8)

4everacatfan

Post by 4everacatfan » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:33 pm

Congrats to Jack, and I do think it will help some of these younger players. Some PAC - Ten schools have already started looking towards Montana.

Heard a rumor that Bobby Howard was at Griz football camp and met Krysco and was very impressed. Maybe he will be like the Salonen brothers also of GFHS and go to the other school. Their dad like Howard's mom is in the Bobcat Hall of Fame. :?

Ponycat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Ponycat » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:44 am

If I was a betting man (wait a sec I am) 5 to 1 Mick has already lost out on Bobby Howard.

The devil made me do it the first time... the second time I done it on my own.