Jack McGillis accepts a full ride to...............

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:23 am

Ponycat wrote:If I was a betting man (wait a sec I am) 5 to 1 Mick has already lost out on Bobby Howard.
Why do you say this?

4everacatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 4everacatfan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:51 am

Ponycat Why do say that??? Besides the Griz Football camp, Howard was at the Bobcat Basketball camp and I heard he really enjoyed it too. I think it is too early to say this kid has made any decisions. Let's not forget he has been raised a Bobcat :D :D

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:18 am

I don't know anything about this Howard kid; how big is he?

If he's a post/power forward, he may prefer Larry K because of his success as a "big man" in college & the pro's. Whether we want to admit it or not, this is an area where I fear the Griz now have a BIG (no pun intended) advantage over us, recruiting-wise.

If I'm a "big fella" being recruited by Durham & Krystko, I'm pretty sure Larry's stories of his time in the league are going to be very impressive to a young kid who's probably never even BEEN to an NBA game...

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:42 am

El_Gato wrote:I don't know anything about this Howard kid; how big is he?

If he's a post/power forward, he may prefer Larry K because of his success as a "big man" in college & the pro's. Whether we want to admit it or not, this is an area where I fear the Griz now have a BIG (no pun intended) advantage over us, recruiting-wise.

If I'm a "big fella" being recruited by Durham & Krystko, I'm pretty sure Larry's stories of his time in the league are going to be very impressive to a young kid who's probably never even BEEN to an NBA game...
Howard was a 6-6 forward type player for Great Falls. He lead the team as a sophomore in scoring and rebounding (I believe he ended up 3rd in the AA) and rebounding (top 3-4 in the AA again I believe) he may end up being a 6-7 to 6-8 player by his senior year. I have only seen him a few times, so I am no expert on him but he has nice array of offensive moves from post up to perimeter, great hustle, and hard working player. I do not feel I really know yet what position he will play in college, two years from now, but I could see him as a small forward or power forward. I have had a couple people tell me that he could end up playing some at off guard and/or center depending how much he grows and develops his perimeter game. He grew 2 inches between his freshman year and sophomore year so I am real interested to see what develops in his Junior year.

Ponycat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Ponycat » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:43 pm

4everacatfan wrote:Ponycat Why do say that??? Besides the Griz Football camp, Howard was at the Bobcat Basketball camp and I heard he really enjoyed it too. I think it is too early to say this kid has made any decisions. Let's not forget he has been raised a Bobcat :D :D

The devil made me do it the first time... the second time I done it on my own.

Ponycat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Ponycat » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:50 pm

4everacatfan wrote:Ponycat Why do say that???
Oops, still on the information superhighway onramp I guess.

I say that because Young Howard will have the chance to go bigger time and at the risk of getting this thread even further off track Mick SUCKS at recruiting in state. (I didn't say I was a good betting man, jsut a betting man.) The only thing that might get Mick off his butt and recruit him is he can shoot the three.

And as for Bobby's mom, she is the all time leader in scoring and rebounding, she is hands down the best Lady Cat ever, but how would anyone know by walking around the campus or reading the Bozeman Comical :x ...but I digress

The devil made me do it the first time... the second time I done it on my own.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:14 pm

Ponycat wrote:
Oops, still on the information superhighway onramp I guess.

I say that because Young Howard will have the chance to go bigger time and at the risk of getting this thread even further off track Mick SUCKS at recruiting in state. (I didn't say I was a good betting man, jsut a betting man.) The only thing that might get Mick off his butt and recruit him is he can shoot the three.

And as for Bobby's mom, she is the all time leader in scoring and rebounding, she is hands down the best Lady Cat ever, but how would anyone know by walking around the campus or reading the Bozeman Comical :x ...but I digress
I saw almost every game, Kathleen (Bobby Howards Mom) played as a Bobcat. She was a 6'-0" porward/center who out physicaled player 3-4 taller and players 30-40 lbs heavier. She was/is my favorite player during my tenur at MSU. She dominated from her freshman year on. I will not argue that she was the best player ever, but her an Cass Buars name are aften mentioned as that player.

urcrackinmeup
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by urcrackinmeup » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:52 pm

mslacat wrote:
Ponycat wrote:
I will not argue that she was the best player ever, but her an Cass Bauers name are often mentioned as that player.
I think Kathleen would have whooped up on Cass in her day. No disrespect to Cass.

And why did the Chronicle name Sarah F. as one of the top 10 of all sports at MSU?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:21 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:Maybe that's exactly why -- burnout. I had one of those coaches in high school, and unless you are the type who responds well to screaming, it can actually be very demotivating. It can make a game that should be fun feel like a bad job.

I know nothing about the people you guys are talking about, but was just gleaning a theory from the previous post.
I played under Dennis Maggert. He took Lombardi quite literally. We won a state title under him and he got the best out of me at the time.

Still, it was up to the players to bond and push themselves. The coach is just a vehicle to get the players where he wants them to go. If no one drives, it doesn't matter which type of vehicle you purchase. It just sits there and does nothing.

As for burnout, that was my end result. The drive ended once we accomplished the goal our coach set out for us. Community college in podunk nowhere wasn't a part of the ride being sold by our program.