is mcgillis that good?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

durhamdominates
New Recruit

is mcgillis that good?

Post by durhamdominates » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:43 pm

having only seen this kid play a few times, i just wonder. he seemed very good, and easily the best on his team, but pac-10 material? their are guys that stand out in my head as being good players out of montana, and to be honest, the big sky seems to be the best fit for them. d-1 ball is a great accomplishment, but there are not many kids i could see contributing to a mid major or major program. hatler, camel, lasosky, leachman, morales, chavaz, warhamk, dick, brown, faaborg, dissly, all guys who dominated the highschool ranks, and were either fairly sucessful, or semi successful in college. guys like faaborg started every varsity game since he was a freshman, leading the team to a second, fourth, and then back to back firsts in highschool, was a guy that made you nervous touching the ball in college. or guys like sam riddle that had so much talent, but was a little out there. i am either skeptical of what kind of situation this kid will be in, or how good he is. i just dont see a montana kid being good enough to play pac ten this year. guys...fill me in.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:55 am

Clue me in; I'm assuming all of these kids are from Montana's AA schools. There's only 13 schools in this league and coming back home after being away for the better part of 30 years, I found this amusing at first and then embarrassing :oops: If our kids are not allowed to compete against the very best, they'll never develop the skills necessary to contribute and play for major schools again. What's up with the MHSA? These kids need to participate in AAU programs and play in some of the McDonalds camps during the off-season so they'll learn to play the game the way the rest of the country plays it and our officials need to update their skills with the kids. If I'm not mistaken, after this year's state tournaments were over the class B kids won the all-star tournament rather decisively, and the AA team was comprised of all the kids we read about in our state newspapers--imagine that! Guess we're going to have to help our "cities" realize the level of competion in the small schools and assist the MHSA in fully understanding what effect watering down the high school competion has done to our kids and that's just basketball. My sentimental favorite on the Cats this year is Kinkelaar--how cool would it be to have a 6-man kid get All-American honors and a shot at Sundays? That's even better that Fitz from Chester starting for the Lions. Anyway, I used to enjoy the Big 32 tournament, especially when Havre and Great Falls Central won the football title and Laurel, Wolf Point and Libby won the basketball tournament. Come to think about it, that's why the 13 "big" schools formed their own league! They were tired of getting slapped around by the "small" schools like Billings Central, Butte Central, Columbia Falls, Miles City...

toots
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by toots » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:29 am

McGillis had the best college potential on Hellgate, but he was not the best player. This is not a knock against him, but Charlie Cox was the best player on Hellgate and in the state for that matter. I've watched high school basketball for over 30 years and Charlie is the best point guard I've ever seen. Now, does he have the upside Jack or Kellen Hasquet has........NO. Probably not strong and fast enough to play D-1 point and more importantly, not going to be able to guard your average D-1 point guard, but as for high school..............absolutely awesome at times and without him, Hellgate struggles to get to state, let alone win it.

As for playing against top-notched competition, all three of the affore mentioned All-Staters played against some of the best competition in the country the past couple of years in Vegas. In fact a year ago, Hasquet, his brother Jordan, Cox, Coulter Smith and McGillis played ( fairly respectfully, I might add) against the Atlanta Celtics, who by the way have 3 players in the NBA right now..................your 2005 NBA Slam Dunk Champ being one of them.

DCC2MSU
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by DCC2MSU » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:28 pm

Cat Grad wrote:Clue me in; I'm assuming all of these kids are from Montana's AA schools. There's only 13 schools in this league and coming back home after being away for the better part of 30 years, I found this amusing at first and then embarrassing :oops: If our kids are not allowed to compete against the very best, they'll never develop the skills necessary to contribute and play for major schools again. What's up with the MHSA? These kids need to participate in AAU programs and play in some of the McDonalds camps during the off-season so they'll learn to play the game the way the rest of the country plays it and our officials need to update their skills with the kids. If I'm not mistaken, after this year's state tournaments were over the class B kids won the all-star tournament rather decisively, and the AA team was comprised of all the kids we read about in our state newspapers--imagine that! Guess we're going to have to help our "cities" realize the level of competion in the small schools and assist the MHSA in fully understanding what effect watering down the high school competion has done to our kids and that's just basketball. My sentimental favorite on the Cats this year is Kinkelaar--how cool would it be to have a 6-man kid get All-American honors and a shot at Sundays? That's even better that Fitz from Chester starting for the Lions. Anyway, I used to enjoy the Big 32 tournament, especially when Havre and Great Falls Central won the football title and Laurel, Wolf Point and Libby won the basketball tournament. Come to think about it, that's why the 13 "big" schools formed their own league! They were tired of getting slapped around by the "small" schools like Billings Central, Butte Central, Columbia Falls, Miles City...
Isn't Kinkelaar from Winifred and I thought they were Class C football, not 6 man.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:41 pm

Yeah, they're 8 man now. Back in the day ... we were 6 man.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:47 am

....it's all them Californians moving into the Lewistown area now...overpopulating our schools and causing all this unmanagable growth...BAC better get back and help them come up with some "Smart Growth" also known as not in my back yard...anyway. I really don't think our kids are forced to compete the way the state used to be aligned. We can't make everybody feel good and it should be an accomplishment to earn a varsity letter.