WSU vs. UM

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

WSU vs. UM

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:28 pm

Halfway through the first half, game is pretty even.

What an embarrassment for the Big Sky. Both teams look absolutely horrible at this point. There are all of about 200 people in attendence - you can actually hear the words of the cheerleaders clearly... sad. Notice that Dougie Fullerton couldn't spring for a nice "Big Sky Conference" logo to stick onto the floor. Lance Allred looks terrible - he is like 3 for 15 so far. He is a good rebounder, but plays bad defense and is about as slow of a guy as you will ever see. I can see why he averages 18 points per game, though - he probably shoots about 30 times a game. No one else on Weber even looks to score. Weber also has another player (Patton) who looks like he should be playing for the women's team. Finally, Weber (in fine McNeese St. tradition) has chosen to go with the uniforms that have "Wildcats" in place of individual names - personally, nothing looks more ridiculous and more amateurish to me.

Overall, not an impressive display so far for the Big Sky. Let's hope everyone on the selection committee is too busy watching the Big East tourney to slum it by watching this game.

GO CATS GO!!!

rtb

Post by rtb » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:50 pm

I agree that this game is not helping the Big Sky's image, but really the Big Sky isn't going to become a basketball powerhouse anytime soon. I would like to think that if MSU and PSU were playing that things would look better, but I doubt it. Oh well, what can you do? Did you hear the commentator's suggestion of having the top seed for each game host the game? That makes the most sense. Not really a tournament then, but at least Dahlberg arena would be rocking for ESPN(I would hope).

Maybe that is the next step for the Big Sky, something needs to be done so that our one showcase on TV highlights the excitment of the league.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:56 pm

I still think it would be a good idea to find a venue to hold the tournament every year. Personally, I think Boise would be a great place - great arena, central/non-partison location, and great city. The nice thing would be that fans from all schools could plan a trip to Boise in advance, which I think would increase attendence. In addition, Boise is within driving distance from Bozeman, Missoula, Pocatello, Ogden, and Portland. That's about as good as you're going to get in a league that is as spread out as the Big Sky.

GO CATS GO!!!

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:01 pm

Puke.

GO CATS GO!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:02 pm

I agree that in terms of looking good on TV, the best way to do things is either to have a pre-determined site such as Boise, or play on the home court of the higher seeded team all the way through. It just looked terrible tonight with the huge empty arena. I know I'd be more likely to travel to the tournament if I knew months in advance exactly where it was going to be and could make plans to go more than a week in advance (less than that if you're in a 1st round game). Shockingly, they actually had good announcers for once. I think Bob Valvano is quite good.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:03 pm

Bozo if your team would win a big game sometimes you wouldn't have to be so bitter.

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:18 pm

BozoneCat wrote:Puke.
You love the Griz...come on, just admit it. :)

Didn't we bet that if the Griz won the BSC, you'd get a Griz paw tattoo'd on your arm? :wink:

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:21 pm

I'll pay for it :D but I get to pick the parlor.

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:43 pm

Cat-theotherwhitemeat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:Puke.
You love the Griz...come on, just admit it. :)

Didn't we bet that if the Griz won the BSC, you'd get a Griz paw tattoo'd on your arm? :wink:
Yeah, but we were talking about men's tennis... :wink:

GO CATS GO!!!

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:54 pm

So now that he won the Big Sky tournament, is Montana going to follow tradition and fire Krystkowiak now? :wink: :oops:

GO CATS GO!!!

grizbeer
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizbeer » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:10 pm

If the tournament was held in Boise on a Wednesday night there would still be 200 people there. The solution is to have teams in cities that care, like Fargo, not Greeley, Portland and Sacramento. If the game was held on a weekend that would help, but then goodbye ESPN2.

Bozone I think Holst is still around if you think the Griz were stupid for getting rid of him and he was a great coach. Personally I would take Durham every time over Holst, but it sounds like you would like to get rid of Durham so you might mention it to Fields.

rtb

Post by rtb » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:18 pm

Yuck is right, but.....I have never been one to cheer for the Grizzlies. Growing up in NW Montana as a Bobcat that streak put a lot of hatred in me towards UM. However, tonight on my way home I heard Larry Krystowiak interviewed on ESPN Radio's game night. That guy is a class act win or lose. Everything he says seems to be respectful of his opponents yet he knows how to win!! I won't say Go Griz just yet, but Go Coach!!!

On a side note he mentioned how last night the team had dinner with Scott Skiles the head coach of the Bulls. I thought that was cool for the team. I also think his players respect him alot because he has been to the NBA and done his time.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:25 pm

It was a joke, numbnuts. Krysko is a good coach and a great class act, win or lose. Hiring him was the best move UM has made in the last 10 years.

GO CATS GO!!!

grizbeer
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizbeer » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:04 am

I know it was a joke Bozone, just having a little fun back with ya. I wonder if you have been spending too much time in Reserve Street traffic or something, you are awfully testy lately. Here, let me throw a bunch of these in for goodwill :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :lol: :lol:

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:33 pm

Heathcote, Brandenburg, Montgomery, Morrill and now Krysko who appears to have the same demeanor as all his predecessors and was a product of the same style they used to play. I'm curious as to how they actually perform in the tournament or if they'll be oh so proud to kiss somebody's sneakers we made the big dance take my arse whipping and go home. I suspect they'll look like a Cravens prepared team.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:39 pm

grizbeer wrote:I know it was a joke Bozone, just having a little fun back with ya. I wonder if you have been spending too much time in Reserve Street traffic or something, you are awfully testy lately. Here, let me throw a bunch of these in for goodwill :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :lol: :lol:
Sorry. School is a bitch right now, I'm working on about 2 or 3 hours of sleep every day right now. God, spring break can't come quickly enough, even though I'll just be working. :lol: :lol: :lol:

GO CATS GO!!!