SDSU Stadium Pics

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mquast53000
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by mquast53000 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:44 pm

BozoneCat wrote:Yeah, but we didn't win a whole lot during those years. Today's teams are SO much more athletic and fast than any of those teams were.

I'm not disagreeing with you about recruiting in more areas, just stating reasons why we may not. I also would like to see us hit the "smaller" Northern/Western states a little harder for the same reasons you stated.
Look at the records... We are not playing that much better since Kramer took over, we have just one the right games (i.e. if we would have won Cat/Griz in 98' like we did in 02 & 03 we would have won the conference and gone to the playoffs). That 0-11 year had a lot of those awesome Cali athletes... My point is that we are not SO much better; barely being over .500 is barely acceptable (i.e. look at the current discussion about Mick’s career)...

FTG

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:32 am

mquast53000 wrote:Look at the records... We are not playing that much better since Kramer took over, we have just one the right games (i.e. if we would have won Cat/Griz in 98' like we did in 02 & 03 we would have won the conference and gone to the playoffs). That 0-11 year had a lot of those awesome Cali athletes... My point is that we are not SO much better; barely being over .500 is barely acceptable (i.e. look at the current discussion about Mick’s career)...
Well, winning the right games is always more important than winning a certain number of games. I agree that Kramer will have big expectations this season, but he will be expected to bring at least 8 or 9 wins this season, along with making some serious noise in the playoffs. He has done a great job to bring this program out of the ashes, but barely playing .500 ball is not going to be acceptable anymore.

Comparing Mick to Kramer is apples and oranges. Mick has had control of his program for 16 years - the overriding argument is that if he hasn't been able to turn his program into a perennial contender yet, what makes you think he will ever be able to do it? Kramer inherited a program that was pitiful, and has brought it back from life support - you can't argue that. We haven't come as far as we would like, but you have to realize the strides that have been made - and you have to like the outlook of the Football Program for the future, not just next year. I don't even include that 0-11 season into the argument when I look at how Kramer has done. He came into a terrible situation and overhauled everything about the Bobcat Football Program. Hysell would have gone 3-8 that year by playing safe - Kramer instead opted to get his players ready for the future by starting half true freshmen, and look what happened with that senior class. This program is better off because of what that 0-11 year did to it, and I believe that is a credit to a good coach.

Hysell's teams did alright, but you never felt like they could compete athletically against the rest of the teams in the Sky. They won games by playing disciplined, safe football for the most part. Kramer's teams could definitely benefit from playing more disciplined, but I also think Kramer gives his guys a little more freedom to go for the big play, which will lead to some mistakes. The athleticism and dedication to the program is 100 times better with Kramer. You can't even compare the P.R. benefits Kramer brings.

Look, Kramer definitely has some shortcomings, but you can't argue that he has brought this program a long ways when you consider the whole spectrum of what he is responsible for. I hope Mike continues to address those shortcomings, which I think he has done well over the years. I'm not happy with 7-6 or 6-5 seasons, but to build a house you have to first build the foundation, and I think Mike has been doing that. He actually had to tear down the existing house his first year and repour the concrete after that! I like what I have seen, and I am even more excited with the outlook of the future for Bobcat football!

GO CATS GO!!!

Robcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Robcat » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:55 pm

Amen! :D

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:17 pm

Amen as well! The foundation has been set. Its time to start pushing the program up into the elite ranks of 1-AA ... not just in the Big Sky Conference. We have no room for error early in the season this year as well. I think having a lot of our offense back though should help us get off to a better start this year as we will need it. After the OK STATE game we will have only 2 losses max the rest of the way to get an AT LARGE bid in the playoffs. So couple that with 3-4 of the Big Sky's top teams and its going to be a DOGFIGHT. It is imperative for this team to make it either way to win 3 of the 4 nonconference footballs games I think. Otherwise we will have to win the Big Sky Conference outright (which leads us down the road to the Cat/Griz game). So as usual again this year. Each week will be VERY important/fun to watch for teams that are projected to be at the top of the Big Sky (EWU/MSU/UM etc.).

89rabbit
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 89rabbit » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:45 pm

Here is a pic of our basketball home.

Frost Arena

Capacity 9,000

Last off-season we replaced the bleachers for the student section, added reserved chair back seats under the baskets (that is where my tickets are) and put in hydra rib goals. This off-season we are putting in a new score and message boards ($2.5 Million).
Last edited by 89rabbit on Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

South Dakota State University
Jackrabbits # 1!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:11 pm

why are there so many people in there? :D
(a question a west coast Big Sky President might ask)

BobcatLionFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatLionFan » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:09 am

Probably rival North Dakota Game with Hooter Girls half time show.

:shock:
Last edited by BobcatLionFan on Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:02 pm

The opposing team is wearing red so I'd guess this is SDSU vs the U of South Dakota. I know a USD grad-he's says their basketball rivalry is pretty heated-it's been known to have a frozen road kill Jackrabbit or two tossed on to the floor (he swears this is true-has no idea how they got it into the building).

NDSUbison
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by NDSUbison » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:23 pm

Here is a picture of NDSU's basketball arena, not as impressive as Frost is but it still does the job. The arena will probably be replaced or renovated in a few years to get it back onto a level of the other facilities at NDSU.

And this picture was taken during the NDSU-SDSU womens game. A game that was sold out(6000) and was won on a buzzer beater by NDSU gaurd Katie Lorenz, giving NDSU a one point victory.
Last edited by NDSUbison on Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:25 pm

I've been in the Bison Sports Arena a few times (about 15 years ago). I saw REO Speedwagon, and Poison there (hey-they were big time back then)-plus a Bison men's basketball game vs. Concordia-Moorhead.

It's configured a lot like MSU's Fieldhouse for basketball and the building is very multi-purpose. If I recall there's a menzanine on one side with folding bleachers below (like both sides of the MSU's Fieldhouse), and a big section of folding bleachers on the bench side. It's a big-square concrete and steel building-serioulsy lacking in character-kind of like a huge version of Shroyer Gym on MSU's campus.

It would stack up very well in the Big Sky-not as nice as Weber, Montana, or Montana State, but much better than Portland State, Sac State, or Idaho State (dome or Reed Gym).