SDSU Stadium Pics

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

89rabbit
BobcatNation Redshirt

SDSU Stadium Pics

Post by 89rabbit » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:58 am

Coughlin-Alumni Stadium

Seating Capacity 16,000

Seating on both East and West sides from goal line to goal line.

South Dakota State University
Jackrabbits # 1!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:13 am

I'd rather see a school like SDSU in the Sky who actually has some fan support!
Last edited by CelticCat on Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cat Pride
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat Pride » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:55 am

CelticCat wrote:I'd rather see a school like SDSU in the Sky who actually has some fan support!
Couldnt agree more. But Fullerton thinks he will get more press and money if he goes to the Denver market with UNC. :roll:

Does SDSU's stadium look like the old Reno H. Sales or what! Fireworks, what a cool idea.
Last edited by Cat Pride on Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobcatLionFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatLionFan » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:54 am

Fireworks comes with a night game. A night game comes with lights. Thus we are stuck with early afternoon games.

Nice stadium, but the Cal (Oregon) schools go if Dakotas enter, then recuiting in California goes. Then record goes south without the players. (Even the Dakota schools recruit mostly out-of-state). Montana just doesn't have enough players to support one school, much less two (with UM and MSU) with skill positions to compete nationally. You need to have recuiting areas and Southern Cal is a productive one for MSU. To keep that, you need to have presence (games against teams the kids there know) to help recuiting.

Colorado probably isn't the top choice (Davis and Cal poly would be to have the strongest tough league, but Colorado is a good political choice.

WYOBISONMAN
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by WYOBISONMAN » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:54 am

Geez.....at times this whole BSC thing is like being a kid again...... and you have someone that you really want to go on a date with.......but your damn parents(read Fullerton) won't let you go out with that person....... :wink:

BobcatLionFan

Post by BobcatLionFan » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:15 pm

WYOBISONMAN wrote:Geez.....at times this whole BSC thing is like being a kid again...... and you have someone that you really want to go on a date with.......but your damn parents(read Fullerton) won't let you go out with that person....... :wink:
Actually I would say it's more a matter of Business and big money and alumni (that donate money) than a simple kid's game or date.

Getting to a level where multiple 1A schools pay 250 thousand or more to come and play them and/or how do you get into the playoffs, it then leaves what would be fun or nice catagory.
Last edited by BobcatLionFan on Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mquast53000

Post by mquast53000 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:57 am

BobcatLionFan wrote:Fireworks comes with a night game. A night game comes with lights. Thus we are stuck with early afternoon games.

Nice stadium, but the Cal (Oregon) schools go if Dakotas enter, then recuiting in California goes. Then record goes south without the players. (Even the Dakota schools recruit mostly out-of-state). Montana just doesn't have enough players to support one school, much less two (with UM and MSU) with skill positions to compete nationally. You need to have recuiting areas and Southern Cal is a productive one for MSU. To keep that, you need to have presence (games against teams the kids there know) to help recuiting.

Colorado probably isn't the top choice (Davis and Cal poly would be to have the strongest tough league, but Colorado is a good political choice.
How many people in Cali actually know about Sac FB? I don't think that losing Sac would end our recruiting in Cali. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing us go to some other states. I am a true believer that we should recruit players from states that share similar values as MT (i.e. MN, ND, SD, WY, & CO). How many players have left our FB program because they couldn't adjust to the MT lifestyle? Recruiting a player based solely on ability is plain stupid! You need to recruit a player that is going to stick around for 4-5 yrs, because an average player as a senior is a lot better then a good player as a true freshman.

FTG

BobcatLionFan

Post by BobcatLionFan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:38 am

mquast53000 wrote:
BobcatLionFan wrote:Colorado probably isn't the top choice (Davis and Cal poly would be to have the strongest tough league, but Colorado is a good political choice.
How many people in Cali actually know about Sac FB? I don't think that losing Sac would end our recruiting in Cali. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing us go to some other states. I am a true believer that we should recruit players from states that share similar values as MT (i.e. MN, ND, SD, WY, & CO). How many players have left our FB program because they couldn't adjust to the MT lifestyle? Recruiting a player based solely on ability is plain stupid! You need to recruit a player that is going to stick around for 4-5 yrs, because an average player as a senior is a lot better then a good player as a true freshman.
Interesting approach, in you recuited only MN, ND, SD, WY, and CO, I guess you would be without: Lulay, Cooper, Sabastian, Eddie, Bolton, Hirst, Jensen, Dominic, and 2/3s of the rest of the starters. You have to choose if you want a winning team or a nice local team. It doesn't work both ways. Also a nice average senior player cannot stay with a 4.5 reciever that most these other teams have or block the defensive ends that Weber had. Just doesn't work.

Also, what is lost is all the schools have the same number of players leaving. A 1-AA school gets only about 64 scholarships. If that is spread over 5 years (because almost all the kids red-shirt), the most you can recuit is 12 or 13 a year. Almost all the schools give out 20 to 25 scholarships a year (looking at the web sites) and also give scholarships to Walk-ons that have worked their butts off. So that's 23 to 30 each year. Only way you can do that is have a fair number of people drop out (mostly because they are not starters and never will be) or JC players come for only 2 or 3 years. I don't think the good players are the ones leaving and it's very seldom they leave because they can't fit in, more likely they just can't play at the level and they are pushed out or asked to leave. Coaches do a great job if they hit on 60% of their recuits being really good and a starter. A kid playing against slow local High School teams may not play the same against the best player from each high School (which is what colleges have).

Oh, on if Sac State brings in Cal recuits, it's more they have at least one game a year in California (Cal Poly and Sac State alternate years) and parents can see their kids. It's a parent recuiting thing that is important.

it's kind of like wanting to keep your cake and wanting to eat it. Can't do both.

Just some thoughts, :wink:
Last edited by BobcatLionFan on Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bison_Kent
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bison_Kent » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:25 pm

I don't see how playing a team in that state is benificial for recruiting. NDSU recruits players from Misssissippi, Florida, Illinois and Wisconsin and does not play any teams from those states.

If a player wants to win and can't find a local team in which to do so, he is going to find somewhere else to do it. If a player sees the facilities and fan base and academic programs at a particular university, that might be all he needs to make a decision.

I highly dought that playing a game near his home town is what brings a player to Montana, Montana State, or North Dakota State. It is the chance to win, play right away, to play in front of big crowds, and the coaches long before the chance to play at home one day per year.

mquast53000

Post by mquast53000 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:49 pm

Bobcatlionfan- When you were naming off players from the east coast you were looking primarily at current players. Kramer has not recruited any of the states that I had earlier suggested (except I believe he has gone in CO). If you look back oh 3-4yrs there were quite a few good players from those states. Ryan Johnson CO, Brent Swaggert MN, Mike Woodberry WY, John Montya SD, Paul Derriks MN and Brent Ludwig MN to name a few (all those player were "all conference"). I would also like to add that all of these gentlemen earned a degree and with only the exception of Swaggert received academic awards. I just think that going primarily to one state (CA) is not the best way to recruit for a state like MT. I think that you have to also consider the fact that there are more division 1 schools in CA then there are in all the states I had previously outlined. This would mean that there is a significant amount of competition for any quality player in the state of CA. Also, if what you say about parents wanting to see their boys play FB, they would probably like them to attend an in state school (they have quite a few choices). I again reiterate that I believe we would have a better overall recruiting class if we went to states like MN, ND, SD, CO and WY. I am not saying don’t recruit CA, but don’t recruit ONLY in CA.

I would also like to say that I am in total agreement with Bisonkent, playing in a state has little impact in recruiting.

FTG

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:21 pm

I agree with MQUAST53000. However, I'd go to the southern states (primarily TX, FL, AL, GA, SC and LA) for DBs, WRs, and quick fixes at RB because of the high school offenses there. I'd do like NE used to do and hit all the corn fed states for linemen because of the beefy high school linemen. I'd probably stay in the NW for QBs because of the "complex" high school formations :wink: I know, some of you would have us going into MI, PA, OH or NJ for the skill kids... :lol:

mquast53000

Post by mquast53000 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:31 pm

Cat Grad wrote:I agree with MQUAST53000. However, I'd go to the southern states (primarily TX, FL, AL, GA, SC and LA) for DBs, WRs, and quick fixes at RB because of the high school offenses there. I'd do like NE used to do and hit all the corn fed states for linemen because of the beefy high school linemen. I'd probably stay in the NW for QBs because of the "complex" high school formations :wink: I know, some of you would have us going into MI, PA, OH or NJ for the skill kids... :lol:
Then England for Kickers :D

FTG

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:38 pm

Not really; given our past success--Norway :lol:

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:43 pm

...I assume you'll be at the Timber Creek tomorrow...

BobcatLionFan

Post by BobcatLionFan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:13 pm

What might be missed is there are very few 1AA schools in Southern Calif. Only Cal Poly, which recuits mostly in central California if you check their roster. So you are right there are three 1A schools in So Cal (USC, UCLA, and SDSU - San Diego). Northern California is like another state to So Cal. So to say there is a lot of competition from local schools is a little off (since USC and UCLA are very top end of recuits). A good number of very good players. Texas and Florida and more schools local for their kids.

As to making a difference, still think it does to some extent, since most kids leave the SoCal to play anyway. Parents do care.

As to having a team of nice guys, the Ivy Leagues have those, but they would never beat a quality scholarship Division 1AA team no matter what the polls are.

As to the players mentioned from MN and such. They were VERY GOOD players, but a las, the teams lost until the influx of the OR, WA, CA players.

The coaches are recuiting where they feel they have the best chance to be their players to win. If they don't win, they are fired and the next coaches can try a new area. So far they have turned the program around which isn't bad.

In any case, once they become Bobcats, we cheer for them.
:lol:

I still think there is a choice to make for winning and losing.

mquast53000

Post by mquast53000 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:13 pm

wouldn't miss it

FTG

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:29 pm

Just to add a little tidbit into the recruiting discussion - when we fly down to Cali to recruit, we are able to recruit a number of different kids all on the same plane ticket. We may not get every kid we shoot for, but we get more bang for our buck if we can land more than one kid on a single recruiting trip. If we went out to recruit in those smaller states, not only are the plane tickets more expensive, but we may only be shooting for one kid. That gets expensive when you aren't able to land said kid, and Montana State certainly does not have an unlimited trust fund to dip into for recruiting.

GO CATS GO!!!

mquast53000

Post by mquast53000 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:56 pm

BozoneCat wrote:Just to add a little tidbit into the recruiting discussion - when we fly down to Cali to recruit, we are able to recruit a number of different kids all on the same plane ticket. We may not get every kid we shoot for, but we get more bang for our buck if we can land more than one kid on a single recruiting trip. If we went out to recruit in those smaller states, not only are the plane tickets more expensive, but we may only be shooting for one kid. That gets expensive when you aren't able to land said kid, and Montana State certainly does not have an unlimited trust fund to dip into for recruiting.
Yet we did it in the mid & late 90's. Are you saying that we have less money for recruiting now then we did then? Why fly? You can drive on I-90 through WY & SD or I-94 through ND & MN. I feel that we are limiting our recruiting with how we are currently doing it.

FTG

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:43 pm

Yeah, but we didn't win a whole lot during those years. Today's teams are SO much more athletic and fast than any of those teams were.

I'm not disagreeing with you about recruiting in more areas, just stating reasons why we may not. I also would like to see us hit the "smaller" Northern/Western states a little harder for the same reasons you stated.

GO CATS GO!!!

BobcatLionFan

Post by BobcatLionFan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:28 pm

It does cost money and time to recuit multiple areas. Time is almost as important. There are probably 5 or 6 coaches that go out and recuit, One to Montana, one to Washington/Oregon, one to S. Cal, one to N. Cal, and one for other locations. Then Kramer goes to close the deal. You can't go everywhere.

S Cal is just attractive because most of the schools there do not have Football (UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego, UC Riverside, Peperdine, Cal State San Marcos, Cal State Fullerton, Harvey Mudd, Clarmont Schools, and the list goes on and on). As I said, really only 3 (USC which has their choice nation wide, UCLA, which gets high end, and SDSU which probably is the only competition within Southern Cal.

As was pointed out, you get to see a lot of quality kids in very little time.

Football is a business (more than we would all like I would guess). Win or else for the coaches. Recuiting in Montana is VERY important, but you need to get that speed and athelites from someone and S. Cal is a good place to look.

:wink: