Northern Colorado

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WYOBISONMAN
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by WYOBISONMAN » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:10 pm

I would doubt that NDSU would be interested in the Big Sky if Montana and Montana State were no longer in the conference. We need those rivalries.

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:10 pm

WYOBISONMAN wrote:I would doubt that NDSU would be interested in the Big Sky if Montana and Montana State were no longer in the conference. We need those rivalries.
If SDSU/NDSU don't join the 'Sky, where do you think they would go?

NDSUbison
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by NDSUbison » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:34 pm

If WKU were to go D1 and leave the Gateway then NDSU and SDSU would stand a great chance of getting in, NDSU could maybe get in alone eventually. I think there is always a chance that the Mid-Con might expand and take us in, and the Mid-Con looks like the big ten when compared to a Big Sky with no MSU and Montana. I want NDSU in the Sky, and I still think there is a good chance of it happening as long as there is one or two of the Montana schools still there.

89rabbit
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 89rabbit » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:50 pm

kmax wrote:Correct, they are only one year ahead of the Dakota's in their transition. I believe there is a clause in the rules that says if you become a member of a playoff eligible conference then your waiting time to become playoff eligible drops to like 3 years or so. I heard this from some SDSU fans so if 89rabbit or someone is around they can likely set this one straight. So with that said, the earliest UNC would come in would be '06 at which point because they are in the Sky they would be eligible. NOTE, I am not 100% certain on this.

However, regardless of whether or not they are playoff eligible, it doesn't change my previous point. UNC is getting looked at because there was unanimous approval from all 8 existing Big Sky schools that they wanted to look at UNC for possible membership. There is no threat of PSU or CSUS leaving if UNC gets invited, thus no real concern if they are not playoff eligible for the first year or two of membership.
Kmax,

What you are thinking about is the old Men's basektball eligibility rules (5 or 13 years). As the rules stand today, UNC will be playoff eligible for all sports in '07-'08. SDSU and NDSU will be playoff eligible in '08-'09. The exception is for Wrestling and Volleyball where all three will be eligible in '06-'07. All that being said I believe the rest of your analysis is right on.

South Dakota State University
Jackrabbits # 1!

89rabbit
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 89rabbit » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:55 pm

theblackgecko wrote:
WYOBISONMAN wrote:I would doubt that NDSU would be interested in the Big Sky if Montana and Montana State were no longer in the conference. We need those rivalries.
If SDSU/NDSU don't join the 'Sky, where do you think they would go?
As previously posted the hot stove talk is about the Gateway for football, and Mid-Con or Horizon for all other sports. I also agree that a Big Sky without Montana and Montana State has little appeal for most SDSU fans.

South Dakota State University
Jackrabbits # 1!

WYOBISONMAN
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by WYOBISONMAN » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:19 am

I would concur with the thoughts of my fellow Dakotans on conference affiliation. Mid-Con or Gateway.

WYOBISONMAN
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by WYOBISONMAN » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:07 am

I can't believe the lack of support for UNC athletics in Greeley. There currently is a poll in the Greeley Trib on whether or not you support an increase in activity fees to fund a badly needed facility upgrade.......and there is little support. How unfortunate for a program with huge potential... Maybe that is a problem for an institution that is not a "flagship" for thier state..... :? :?

http://apps.greeleytribune.com/gpcpolls ... pollID=241

PeteX
New Recruit

Post by PeteX » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:27 pm

This poll is of the readers of the Tribune which consist mainly of Greeley locals and not the students. Students don't read the Tribune, 95% of which are from Denver, Colorado Springs, or out of state, and read newspapers from Denver. The Tribune is local "shoppers" style newspaper that is more inclined to provide agricultural news and local coupons and advertisements than to measure the heartbeat of the university.

The question at hand, which will be voted on in April, is if the students will fund a $75.00 student fee increase to finance upgrades to the sports arena, practice fields, and other recreational facilities. This vote has nothing to do with the citizens of Greeley. In fact, this poll is little, if any, indication of how the students will vote.

What is the city of Fargo's history in voting to build a local arena? Hasn't it failed twice?

In my opinion the citizens of Greeley being less inclined to vote for any increase in taxes is identical to those of Fargo, or any city for that matter.

I understand the sour grapes and need to try and generate negative propaganda against UNC, but the reality is that the vote with the students will pass and the upgrades will be completed.

I have much respect for the history and support of ND State. Unfortunately, the reality is that is a much better fit for a conference with a Mid Western scope. For whatever reason the Big Sky has chosen a path along the Mountain and Pacific time zones. If this is detrimental long term only time will tell, but like it or not, UNC will be part of that future with the Big Sky.

Good luck with the Gateway, Mid Con, Horizon, etc. Ten years from now you'll be grateful you've gone that direction and not aligned yourselves out west.

WYOBISONMAN
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by WYOBISONMAN » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:18 am

Actually the tax for the Fargodome passed with little trouble back in the late '80s. Funding from the City for a hockey arena was more difficult, but the NDSU supporters were not unified in support of hockey either. NDSU will always be a football school.

Nothing about the UNC/Greeley relationship is at all similar to the NDSU/Fargo relationship. NDSU enjoys very wide spread support from the entire Fargo-Moorhead metro area and indeed the entire State of North Dakota. Unfortunately UNC is not even close to that.