DI

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rtb

DI

Post by rtb » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:12 pm

Is everyone else as tired as I am of the debate that happens every year in DI football? What will it take to get the powers that be to figure out a playoff system would be the best thing college football could do.

Should Boise State be in a BCS game? Is Auburn as good as USC or Oklahoma? I don't know, but I do know they should have the chance to prove how good they are. Starting this weekend they could have an 8 team playoff with games on the 11th, 18th, and the championship on the 1st. If anyone has a suggestion on what fans can do to get the ball rolling let us know. Something needs to change soon!!
Last edited by rtb on Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Re: DI

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:25 pm

rtb wrote:Is everyone else as tired as I am of the debate that happens every year in DI football? What will it take to get the powers that be to figure out a playoff system would be the best thing college football could do.

Should Boise State be in a BCS game? Is Auburn as good as USC or Oklahoma? I don't know, but I do know they should have the chance to prove how good they are. Starting this weekend they could have an 8 team playoff with games on the 11th, 18th, and the championship on the 1st. If anyone has a suggestion on what fans can do to get the ball rolling let us know. Something needs to change soon!!
I agree totally!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:52 pm

I couldn't agree more. Instead of a playoff, we have Auburn getting shafted and Cal getting shipped off to a crap bowl, and Pitt and Va Tech playing in the big money bowls instead. Utah somehow managed to get a BCS bid over Cal as well, even though Cal was "ranked" higher. I haven't done the research to figure that one out yet.

I would be soooo much happier with a playoff system. I hate to see any season's outcome decided by something as subjective as polls. It's the only sport in the world that I am aware of that works this way.

It was interesting that on the ABC BCS show, when they were interviewing the BCS guy, his comment was that the colleges weren't interested in adopting an "NFL-style" playoff system. I'm assuming that was some nice PR wording, as everybody can agree that we don't want the line between college and NFL football to blur. Of course, if the fact that I-AA and all other levels of college football successfully use a playoff system was introduced into that conversation, and that those student-athletes tend to be more, rather than less successful off of the field than their I-A counterparts, then their argument breaks down dramatically.

NavyBlue
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NavyBlue » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:42 am

Come on guys, instead of getting rid of the polls and bowls we should expand that. Get rid of the playoffs in the NFL,NBA, NHL, and Major League Baseball. Just rank the teams with a poll and have a champion determined by the top two teams in the poll.

But wait a second... that doesn't make sense, and the fans like playoffs and if it is decided on the FIELD there can be no arguement or debat about who is better. Hmmm.. so why does the BCS exist $$$$ maybe.
Why don't they (BCS D1-A schools) realize they could make so much more money with a playoff at the 1-A level. Of course it would have to be set up to favor the 6 "power conferences".

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:50 am

One of the more overlooked issues I have with the BSC system is how they select the non "Championship Game" teams. How does Utah end up playing Pittsburgh? How does Texas pass Cal without playing and get into the Rose bowl? Granted, this season Auburn gets the biggest hosing but the whole placement across all the bowl games is bad. If the BSC rankings are everything and all that matters then why doesn't #1 play #2, #3 play #4, #5 play #6, and down the line?

The I-AA system isn't perfect (just ask Cal Poly) but at least they decide it on the field. If you expand the field of 16 to include the teams like Poly that get shafted every year how big do you make the field? I don't think there is a perfect system but the BSC isn't even close.

rollo_tumasi
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by rollo_tumasi » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:15 pm

There has got to be some kind of anti-trust lawsuit that can be brought against this system.

I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.'

rtb

Post by rtb » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:26 pm

WYCAT wrote:One of the more overlooked issues I have with the BSC system is how they select the non "Championship Game" teams. How does Utah end up playing Pittsburgh? How does Texas pass Cal without playing and get into the Rose bowl? Granted, this season Auburn gets the biggest hosing but the whole placement across all the bowl games is bad. If the BSC rankings are everything and all that matters then why doesn't #1 play #2, #3 play #4, #5 play #6, and down the line?

The I-AA system isn't perfect (just ask Cal Poly) but at least they decide it on the field. If you expand the field of 16 to include the teams like Poly that get shafted every year how big do you make the field? I don't think there is a perfect system but the BSC isn't even close.
Sure, there is some point where someone gets left out. Even in the 64 team basketball format there are bubble teams that don't make it, but honestly if they have an 8 team playoff system the number 9 team that gets left out has a much smaller claim for their shot at the championship than say Auburn or Utah. I am guessing with an 8 team format all the undefeated teams will get their shot. Every time I hear talk of the bowl games I just say who cares?!? It isn't a legit format so it is worthless to me as a fan.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:44 pm

Yes, I find it hard to believe that the DOLLARS and the BOWLS and the PLAYOFFS can't all be worked into some meaningful system.

Like anything else, the BCS started out with great intentions but because it was found out very quickly to be flawed, rather than scrap it & start over, they started "tweaking" it; creating stupid rules and stipulations that look good one season, and then are EMBARASSINGLY bad the next (do I hear Pitt?).

It definitely boils down to the dollars but I really don't understand why the Bowls & the dollars have to go away; simply incorporate them INTO the playoff system. If you took 8 teams, that's 7 bowl games; the other 200 bowl games STILL can go to the teams not good enough to finish in the Top 8. Or how about this: Now that only TWO teams have a shot at the National Championship, is that better or creating more interest than if there were currently EIGHT teams still with a shot? Of course not; and the next 2 weeks, the picture continues to change with each new matchup. I GUARANTEE that would be more fun to follow than the current system.

Is it really more difficult than that?
Last edited by El_Gato on Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most