griz game

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GFGriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GFGriz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:55 am

The road is littered with teams that let up on New Hampshire before the game was done. That has been the lesson every team with any lead in 1-AA should have learned this year, especially given the way the 'Cats snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Check out the Georgia Southern site (Southern-Connection) and the Northwestern (La.) State site (GoDemons). Their fans are very complimenatary of Montana and even supportive. You're grasping at straws here in trying to demean a well-coached and well-executing Montana team. Go Griz! Go Saints!

grizindabox
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by grizindabox » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:07 pm

The Griz run a dive play with the 4th string RB to keep the clock running. Too close to punt, no reason to kick a FG. The Griz ran the same 3-4 run plays the entire 4th quarter just to keep the clock running. UNH had 8-9 guys in the box and the dive play had about no chance in the world to actually get the first down. Give me a break, the team that put 60 on NAU had no room to give anyone a hard time about running up the score, the intent to put more points up by going for it on the 4th and 4 was not there. If the only intent was to score more, then they would have attempted the FG.
Last edited by grizindabox on Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:38 pm

There is no way you can run up the score in the first half. No way. We scored 53 vs NAU before halftime, how can that be running up the score?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:52 pm

It is pointless to try and explain the logistics of winning with class to these idiots. They simply just don't get it, and I doubt they ever will. With a fan base that doesn't get upset when their head coach acts like a spoiled brat, I don't expect these actions to change any time soon. The excuses they keep coming up with to defend Baby are astounding. You know, I bet they are right - the next time the griz are up by 30 in the 4th quarter, some poor team will HAVE to be ready for the fake...

I almost forgot another nice example from last night. The griz go up 37-3, and instead of kicking the extra point, Baby decides to call a fake. Of course, it doesn't work, because Baby's trick plays rarely ever work. I imagine griz fans will defend this by saying, "well, Baby was trying to not run up the score, so he didn't want to kick the extra point. Also, they haven't had enough time to practice that play... I mean, they have only been practicing since August, no way is there enough time to practice everything you want to by early December! Geez, you guys are so jealous..."

GO CATS GO!!!

grizindabox
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by grizindabox » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:23 pm

You are so right Bozone, the Griz should have just handed them the ball and said, we will let you have it. Look at the options, it is 4th and 4 on the UNH 34yd line, you can throw it for a first down (oh dang rubbing it in), you can kick a field goal (oh dang running up the score), you can run a little dive into the teeth of the defense (of course this must be rubbing it in also, even though the INTENT is not there) or you could punt, which of course is what every single Cat fan would have done, it is pretty obvious that you all would. If the intent was to run up the score, surely the FG would have been attempted or Disney would have been allowed to call a pass play.. But Bozone, I will admit that Ochs etc. had no reason being on the field at the end of the 3rd quarter, let alone still in the game on the drive at the beginning of the 4th which led to the field goal, not a smart move in my mind. If you want to complain about that, then I doubt I would argue, but I think arguing about a dive play on 4th and 4 with the intentions of keeping the clock running and getting the game over compared with punting in that situation is just dumb.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:36 pm

I don't agree with everything you said, but it is nice to hear a logical and well-thought-out argument from a griz fan on this thread.

GO CATS GO!!!

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:45 pm

Please tell what precisely "too close to punt" means? Ever heard of the coffin corner? Going for it, even with a conservative running play, simply "raises eyebrows"...

If I'm a head coach, all I'm pointing out is that the play that causes ZERO CONTROVERSY FROM ANYONE is a pooch punt. Anyone who thinks the griz 30+ point lead at that stage was in jeopardy is delusional. Giving the ball back over at the 20 (or inside the 20) causes heartburn for no one. Obviously the fact that we are even discussing it (I didn't even see the play in question, but apparently there have been a # of people who took exception to it) means it was at the very least CONTROVERSIAL. Without that call, all you griz fans would not be over here, snooping around, and defending it...

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

JahGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by JahGriz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:13 pm

whining liberal comes to mind when I hear about running up the score. Ochs played 2 plays in the 4th qtr. The Griz passed 2 times in the 4th qtr. The Griz did kick a field goal in the 4th with 14 minutes left, and after that made absolutely no attempt to even try to score. We ran the ball up the gut to waste time. NH new we were running and stacked us up. I though we should have passed to keep them honest. So you whining liberal acting people we appologize the big bad Grizzlies might have hurt some feeling by winning a game by too many points. There, are you happy now. NH's team certainly hasn't said they thought the Griz were trying run up the score, I've only heard the usual whiners who have an axe to grind with the Griz anyway, and will look for any little reason to point out what bad people the Griz are. Loohooosers.

grizindabox
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by grizindabox » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:00 pm

Bozone and Gato, I have seen no one but Cat fans take exception to it for the most part. I have heard many voice an opinion as to why Ochs etc. were still in the game as long as they were, and even though their are very few, I have not heard any complaints from anyone associated with UNH including fans. I am saying that the decision on what to do in that situation is not absolute, and feel that Hauck is not the only coach that would run that play (including Kramer). If the situation would have been 4th and 4 from the 44 without doubt the call would have been punt, but what if the line of scrimmage was the 24, do you still think a pooch punt is the right call and a dive play is uncalled for. I will be the last person to stand up for all the decisions made by Hauck, but I truly feel their was absolutely no intention on running up the score by calling that play and if the intent was to score more points, a pass or FG would have been the play call. If you want to dwell on this play, I see it as nothing more than trying to find something about the Griz to whine about. If you want to question topic such as why Ochs was in the game throwing the ball up 44-3 at the end of the 3rd quarter, then you have no rebuttal from me.
Last edited by grizindabox on Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:26 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
I almost forgot another nice example from last night. The griz go up 37-3, and instead of kicking the extra point, Baby decides to call a fake. Of course, it doesn't work, because Baby's trick plays rarely ever work. I imagine griz fans will defend this by saying, "well, Baby was trying to not run up the score, so he didn't want to kick the extra point. Also, they haven't had enough time to practice that play... I mean, they have only been practicing since August, no way is there enough time to practice everything you want to by early December! Geez, you guys are so jealous..."
The 2 point conversion was not called by Coach H, it was called on the line. When the kicking team sees a particular defense they try the two point conversion.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:37 pm

grizindabox:

i did not see the 4th and 4 play as I was switching between channels a bit, but I will accept your version and reasoning. However, I also wondered about Oches being in so long and still passing with the griz up by so much. If I was a griz fan (will never happen), I would have been more upset about that than anything. Especially when Oches took quite a hard hit and was slammed to the turf head first at the time relatively late in the game. Your championship run could easily have been lost by hauck's stupidity or stubborness if Craig would have been hurt on that play.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:08 pm

Eastcoastgriz wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
The 2 point conversion was not called by Coach H, it was called on the line. When the kicking team sees a particular defense they try the two point conversion.
Try giving the whole truth next time. Hack "forgot" to call off that play at halftime, according to him. How convenient.

GO CATS GO!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:16 pm

Go to www.anygivensaturday.com, and you will see it is no only Cat fans that have this mindset after watching the UNH game. Now that the whole IAA nation had a chance to see the Griz, several of them aren't real happy about how classy the Griz were. See for yourself, it's not just Cat fans.

Personally I don't think it was running up the score. But it definately pissed off a lot of fans/players/coaches around the country.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:24 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Eastcoastgriz wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Try giving the whole truth next time. Hack "forgot" to call off that play at halftime, according to him. How convenient.
What part of my post was not true??? I told the whole truth, the kicking team saw the formation that changes the play at the line and they did just that.

Did Coach H tell the kids at half not to run the play - no. As stupid as some of you think Coach H is, it's amazing he remembered his way back to the locker room. Is he smart enough to lie during a press conference?? I don't know, he's pretty dumb, bozocat, you're giving him too much credit.
Last edited by Eastcoastgriz on Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:06 pm

El_Gato wrote:THE POINT here, ecg, is that EVERYONE ELSE who's not a griz fan could establish the PERCEPTION that he's rubbing it in or trying to run up the score whether he thinks that way or not. If you don't want other teams thinking that way, you don't do things that might lead them to believe you did.

That seems to be a common theme with bobby; he really doesn't seem to understand and/or care what people's PERCEPTION of him is outside of Missoula. That's fine if you're a griz fan & as long as he keeps winning; but it also makes your team/program despised or hated by your opponents. I personally prefer someone like Coach K at Duke; they win an astronomical % of their games, but Coach K does it with class & dignity and never does anything to "show up" an opponent. Compare that with, say, the University of Miami football program. The 'Canes have had a lot of success the last 20 years or so but have done it brashly and arrogantly and are generally despised by anyone who is not a Miami fan.

Imagine if Coach K had all the same success but with the attitude & arrogance of someone like Bob Knight or Brian Billick (of the NFL's Baltimore Ravens); Duke would be the most hated team in college basketball. Instead, because of Coach K, they are one of the most revered teams in the nation.

I'd rather have a coach who does his damndest to keep up a positive, classy PERCEPTION & IMAGE of my program as opposed to one whose actions might lead to the PERCEPTION & IMAGE that they like to run up the score & show up our opponents or one who doesn't really care what anyone else but his team's fans thinks about him...

One way gets you the respect of opponents; the other gets you hatred, IMO.
Too Funny!!!

Gato and BozoCat will go to any length to take their Griz pot shots, even stooping to making stuff up...4th and 4 at the 35 yard line and the Griz run a dive play for the 4th straight time and BH is a bastard for going for it...

Cry me a river you big babies!!!

Its one thing to be pissed you lost the big game, its another to take your hatred of the Griz into every conversation in the hopes of feeling better stirring sh*t up...Must be a miserable existence, my heart goes out to you and your families... :roll:

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:16 pm

um, boz,

I just re-read my post twice; mind telling me where precisely I "took pot shots", "made stuff up", or called BH "a bastard"?

I simply thought this was a great examply of different coaches mind-sets & how some (and yes, I did include BH in this group) don't appear to care how their actions "play" outside their own organization or fan base. Some people PREFER a coach who has this mentality; personally, I don't.

But then, I suppose this is another one of those things you "don't care about", right?
Last edited by El_Gato on Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:31 pm

El_Gato wrote:I wasn't even watching the game.
Then how can you comment?
El_Gato wrote:From the posts above, it appears that the griz went for it on 4th & 4 with a 30 point lead in the 4th quarter. If this is true, I COULDN'T CARE LESS what actual play was called.
But obviously you do!

And then to take it to E-Griz just to start up sh*t????

I came over to this site simply to see what all the excitement was, based on the e-griz thread...just another example of cat fans stirring up stuff just out of their hatred of the Griz. :cry:

Go ahead, I need to make plans for next week's game... :lol:

BWahlberg
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BWahlberg » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:01 pm

The dive play on 4th & 4 did work right into UNH's hands as we went for a 1 yrd gain. It seemed obvious to me that we were basically handing the ball over to NH on that play. If we were trying to run up the score wouldn't we have passed the ball, done a screen, draw play, end around run, play action, etc etc?

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:40 am

boz,

since you are so pathetically lazy to follow this whole thread, let me lay it out for you.

someone commented that hauck went for a first down on a 4th & 4 play in the 4th quarter when the outcome had already been decided. THEY stated that hauck was running up the score or rubbing it in, not me.

Then eastcoastgriz stated that the offensive coordinator would make that call, not BH. THAT is what prompted my response that the HEAD COACH would be the one to decide whether his team went for it or punted. eastcoast came back with some typical attitude and smacked some nonsense that had NOTHING to do with my comments, and the thing escalated from there...

I DON'T care what play they ran on 4th down; my conversation was regarding the various ramifications of going for it vs punting, PERIOD. I went to egriz & asked for the various facts (score, time remaining, field position) BECAUSE I DID NOT SEE THE PLAY IN QUESTION AND BECAUSE THERE ARE GENERALLY MORE PEOPLE ON EGRIZ SO I ASSUMED SOMEONE THERE COULD PROVIDE ME WITH THAT INFO.

My 2 main points of this whole thread are this:

1) The HEAD COACH would ultimately make the decision to go or punt in that situation, NOT the OC.
2) Given the situation in the 4th quarter, THE ONLY CALL that would NOT have been criticized or subject to ANY scrutiny would have been to try to punt the ball inside the 20.

Whether you want to admit it or not, those 2 statements are FACTS. If BH sends out the punt team at that point, regardless of where the punt ends up, we simply have ZERO issues here. If you want to argue that point, you are indeed a moron. The remainder of my discussion dealt with the "mind-sets" of various coaches and how important PERCEPTIONS become regarding their "styles" of coaching.

It DOES appear that some Bobcats were not the only ones who noticed BH's decision; it sounds as if some columnist/writer made note of it as well as several people (who I don't believe are Bobcats) on the AGS board. That was my whole point; if you punt in that situation, NO ONE is talking about it. By going for it, BH CHOSE to open himself to criticism; the fact that he's getting some proves my point.

Now, since I've done ALL your homework for you, I hope this endeth the lesson.

JahGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by JahGriz » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:59 am

So the cats wanted the Griz to take it easy on them huh. Not score any more points than they had to. Score just enough to hope they were out of range of a cat comeback. Ok, maybe next year we'll take it easy on you whiners.
I sure as heck didn't hear any UNH people say the Griz were running up the score. I guess they know how the game is played, and have enough sack so they don't need to whine about beeing beaten badly. Frankly I'm embarrassed for the cat fans who wanted the Griz to go easy on them and not score. Maybe cat fans should take a note from their team. The team sacked up and stopped the Griz from punching it in, to bad cat fans don't have as much faith in their team and wanted them to be given the "nice" treatment.