griz game

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

griz game

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:43 pm

I think I'm gonna puke...

Go Eastern! I think they may be the only team to have a chance.

GO CATS GO!!!

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Re: griz game

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:02 pm

BozoneCat wrote:I think I'm gonna puke...

Go Eastern! I think they may be the only team to have a chance.
Try some Tums, maybe that will help.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:04 pm

Congrats to the Griz. They're making the BSC look a lot better than the naysayers gave us credit for this season. If we get an EWU/Griz semi, that will be awesome. Then I will just have to start bitching about the silly regionalized playoff structure. It's silly to have conference teams meet prior to the championship when it would be so easy to avoid.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:06 pm

BTW, I loved Baby Hack's call to go for it on 4th-and-4 when they were up by 30-something in the 4th quarter. Classy, as usual. I'm sure he's earning quite the reputation all the way across the country - too bad he isn't a product Montana can be proud of. At least his players do their part to make up for his lack of class.

GO CATS GO!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:05 pm

There are a lot of people on anygivensaturday.com that are fairly annoyed about the Griz "running up the score". Apparently we aren't the only ones who think he doesn't have much class.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:20 pm

CelticCat wrote:There are a lot of people on anygivensaturday.com that are fairly annoyed about the Griz "running up the score". Apparently we aren't the only ones who think he doesn't have much class.
No, no, no guys - all of that is just in the normal flow of the game. :wink:

I don't know how their fan base can be so proud of that moronic coach. It doesn't take Vince Lombardi to know his decisions over the past few weeks have been below disgraceful. That type of thing does nothing for sportsmanship and doesn't shed much of a light on UM or the BSC for that matter. I wish I could know what is going through his head when he makes those decisions. But then again I have always wondered what Ted Bundy's brain was processing too. I am going to spend a lot of time at church this week hoping Eastern brings enough next week. The thought of them in the championship game this year makes me sick, and no ECG, their isn't enough Tums in the world to reduce this acid buildup.

By the way, how bad did UNH look? I know a lot of the credit goes to the griz but they looked terrible to me. How in the hell did they ever beat GSU last week?
Last edited by WYCAT on Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:26 pm

CelticCat wrote:There are a lot of people on anygivensaturday.com that are fairly annoyed about the Griz "running up the score". Apparently we aren't the only ones who think he doesn't have much class.

What 3. Thats not a lot.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:31 pm

I checked out the anygivensaturday.com site. Unfortunately, there are some really obnoxious Griz fans in there making things much worse by talking a lot of smack (taking personal shots at other posters, including Ralph) and looking like really bad winners. I hate to see that -- we all know that there are a lot of great Griz fans (certainly including most of the ones that post here) that know how to celebrate their team's victories with grace. Unfortunately, there are always a couple immature ones in every fanbase that don't quite know how to carry themselves with grace.

I agree with citygriz's post on the other board -- even though some knuckledragging types will just any Griz success as smack board material against the Cats, there is a lot of residual gain for MSU by UM doing well. If recruits around the country see the Griz having success on national TV, now Kramer just has to mention "Oh yeah, we've beaten those guys 2 of the last 3 years, and how would you like to be a part of the next 4 years of playing at that level?"

Hopefully, next year we will be doing what the Griz are doing right now, so we have something even more direct to point to, but for this year, we just have to take some solace in knowing that we were clearly the top one or two conferences in the country this season, and we ended up in 3rd within the conference behind two of the very best teams in the country. Next year, we step up and show what we can do in the playoffs.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:52 pm

I love seeing UM and EWU making a run in the playoffs...this is good exposure for the Big Sky and therefore helps recruiting for the entire conference. I don't really care about the whole UM/MSU rivalry anymore, as much as I want MSU to beat the Griz every year. I'd much rather see UM or EWU win the NC than a team from Virginia or New Hampshire! Congrats Griz and Go Eagles (up 13-7, 3Q)

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:08 pm

Eastern 27

Sammy 7

3rd Quarter, 5:30 left

National Championship game in Missoula next weekend... GO EAGLES!!!

GO CATS GO!!!

grizbeer
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizbeer » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:22 am

How many points did the Griz score in the 4th qtr when they were running up the score and being jerks? How many did Sammy score on EWU when EWU was being classy and taking it easy with that unsurmountable 20 point lead in the 3rd qtr? (note to Eagle fans: not a shot at you, just pointing out the hypocrisy of this thread).

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:58 am

BozoneCat wrote:BTW, I loved Baby Hack's call to go for it on 4th-and-4 when they were up by 30-something in the 4th quarter. Classy, as usual. I'm sure he's earning quite the reputation all the way across the country - too bad he isn't a product Montana can be proud of. At least his players do their part to make up for his lack of class.
I was under the impression the OC was making these calls. When you and Bobby spoke about the call, what did he say??

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:47 am

eastcoast,

You ARE a moron. The OC may pick the specific PLAY to run in that situation, but the HEAD COACH determines whether you are going for it or punting.

Don't you know enough about football to know that?

Think before you post.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:53 am

El_Gato wrote:eastcoast,

You ARE a moron. The OC may pick the specific PLAY to run in that situation, but the HEAD COACH determines whether you are going for it or punting.

Don't you know enough about football to know that?

Think before you post.
So when you spoke to Bobby, why did he pick this play? Did the OC suggest we go for it on 4th down? Was it Bobby's idea? Maybe the QB saw a weakness and it has his idea. As a GRIZ fan I would love to have your inside scoop.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:58 am

You don't even grasp THE POINT, do you?

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:14 am

El_Gato wrote:You don't even grasp THE POINT, do you?
Easy with the moron stuff, that really hurts my FEELINGS!!

I do grasp THE POINT. The main point was there is no reason to call the play the GRIZ ran.

You are making an assumption on the play calling.

And while I'll agree the HC normally would make this call, do you have any factual information as to why the call was made?

Maybe they are looking forward to the next week’s game. Maybe this is a play that needed to be worked on. Maybe they wanted next week’s team thinking this is what we would do in a similar situation!

Once you know why the play was called, come back and explain it to us.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:32 am

I wasn't even watching the game. From the posts above, it appears that the griz went for it on 4th & 4 with a 30 point lead in the 4th quarter. If this is true, I COULDN'T CARE LESS what actual play was called. The reason the other post-ers are upset is because BH would have to "give his blessing" to go for it in that situation. If they were in field goal range, they should kick the FG if he's REALLY concerned about UNH making a 30 point 4th quarter comeback. If not, you should punt. If you want to embarass the other team & "rub it in", you elect to go for it and then I don't really care whether BH, the OC, the QB, the AD, or some BF'er from the stands actually calls the specific play.

The point here is: THE HC MAKES THE FINAL DECISION ON GOING FOR IT IN THIS SITUATION.
Last edited by El_Gato on Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:51 am

El_Gato wrote:I wasn't even watching the game. From the posts above, it appears that the griz went for it on 4th & 4 with a 30 point lead in the 4th quarter. If this is true, I COULDN'T CARE LESS what actual play was called. The reason the other post-ers are upset is because BH would have to "give his blessing" to go for it in that situation. If they were in field goal range, they should kick the FG if he's REALLY concerned about UNH making a 30 point 4th quarter comeback. If not, you should punt. If you want to embarass the other team & "rub it in", you elect to go for it and then I don't really care whether BH, the OC, the QB, the AD, or some BF'er from the stands actually calls the specific play.

The gripe here, I believe, is that the game is over yet caulk decides to go for it on a 4th down. THE HC MAKES THE FINAL DECISION ON GOING FOR IT IN THIS SITUATION; IF HE DOESN'T WANT TO RUB IT IN, HE ELECTS TO PUNT.
WHAT ABOUT NEXT WEEK. Can you not see any benefit in having the opposing team thinking your going to throw a 30 yard bomb on a 4th down?

Or run some other type of "trick" play to score on.

It’s great that he is doing unexpected plays at unexpected times and I do not think he is running these plays to "RUB IT IN". Please provide some definitive proof that is what he is doing.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:09 am

THE POINT here, ecg, is that EVERYONE ELSE who's not a griz fan could establish the PERCEPTION that he's rubbing it in or trying to run up the score whether he thinks that way or not. If you don't want other teams thinking that way, you don't do things that might lead them to believe you did.

That seems to be a common theme with bobby; he really doesn't seem to understand and/or care what people's PERCEPTION of him is outside of Missoula. That's fine if you're a griz fan & as long as he keeps winning; but it also makes your team/program despised or hated by your opponents. I personally prefer someone like Coach K at Duke; they win an astronomical % of their games, but Coach K does it with class & dignity and never does anything to "show up" an opponent. Compare that with, say, the University of Miami football program. The 'Canes have had a lot of success the last 20 years or so but have done it brashly and arrogantly and are generally despised by anyone who is not a Miami fan.

Imagine if Coach K had all the same success but with the attitude & arrogance of someone like Bob Knight or Brian Billick (of the NFL's Baltimore Ravens); Duke would be the most hated team in college basketball. Instead, because of Coach K, they are one of the most revered teams in the nation.

I'd rather have a coach who does his damndest to keep up a positive, classy PERCEPTION & IMAGE of my program as opposed to one whose actions might lead to the PERCEPTION & IMAGE that they like to run up the score & show up our opponents or one who doesn't really care what anyone else but his team's fans thinks about him...

One way gets you the respect of opponents; the other gets you hatred, IMO.
Last edited by El_Gato on Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:37 am

El_Gato wrote:THE POINT here, ecg, is that EVERYONE ELSE who's not a griz fan has the perception that he's rubbing it in or trying to run up the score whether he thinks that way or not. If you don't want other teams thinking that way, you don't do things that might lead them to believe you did.
I went over the post from last nights game on anygivensaturday. The majority of people posting did not think we were "rubbing it in".