Cal Poly not in the Playoffs?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rtb

Cal Poly not in the Playoffs?

Post by rtb » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:58 pm

I just found the bracket on sports network

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.as ... racket.htm

Is this correct? Looks good for the Griz to win round one, but then it is one to GA Southern. I though Cal Poly should be in, but no luck.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:38 pm

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:07 pm

I can't believe Poly didn't get in either. That is just wrong. I blame the East Coast bias more than anything. It looks like 8-3 wouldn't have done it for the Cats this year. Good luck Griz and Eagles. Tough draw for the Eagles at #1 S. Illinois. Maybe they can do what NAU did to McNesse last year.

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:26 am

8-3 would have done it for the Cats because they would have been conference champs, presuming they had beaten the Eagles and friz. That's just history though, the Cats weren't consistently good enough to win the conference. I don't think I'd want to see what a top seeded team would do against what was left of our defense. I don't blame anybody, injuries made this season too much of an uphill climb. Too bad the offense and defense peaked together in only one game. NAU may have been the Cats downfall; they didn't seem as hungry and desperate afterward.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:22 am

velochat wrote:8-3 would have done it for the Cats because they would have been conference champs, presuming they had beaten the Eagles and friz. That's just history though, the Cats weren't consistently good enough to win the conference. I don't think I'd want to see what a top seeded team would do against what was left of our defense. I don't blame anybody, injuries made this season too much of an uphill climb. Too bad the offense and defense peaked together in only one game. NAU may have been the Cats downfall; they didn't seem as hungry and desperate afterward.
A agree. However, I liked what I saw against Eastern Washington xcept the defense towards the end obviously. I sincerely believe that if we could have held on and got the W in that one, we would have seen a different Bobcat team against the Griz. They just looked whipped out there. :cry: Good game Griz though! :wink:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:09 am

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:33 am

I really don't buy the argument that since Lehigh was snubbed last year they felt compelled to snub someone else this year. Other than the conference champions that get automatic bids pick the best teams for this season.

I really think a lot of the problem is the group of people making the selections are tied to East coast conferences. Whether they even really know it, let alone would admit it, they are inclined to select teams they are more familiar with than someone like Cal Poly, Portland State, UC Davis, etc.

Even more reason I see for playing more out of conference opponents like SFA next season, Gardner Webb last year, NAU vs. Northern Iowa this year, Griz vs. Sam Houston, etc. Great exposure for the Western teams.

rtb

Post by rtb » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:13 am

You know what is one positive thing out of this mess? At least we are talking about a team ranked lower than #10 being snubbed. I-AA has a system that works. Watching DI at this time of the year can be so frustrating because one of the top three teams is going to get snubbed even when they deserve a shot to play for a championship. Many people will say a playoff system can't work for DI, but I disagree!! We are lucky to have a system that works!

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:17 am

rtb wrote:You know what is one positive thing out of this mess? At least we are talking about a team ranked lower than #10 being snubbed. I-AA has a system that works. Watching DI at this time of the year can be so frustrating because one of the top three teams is going to get snubbed even when they deserve a shot to play for a championship. Many people will say a playoff system can't work for DI, but I disagree!! We are lucky to have a system that works!
Good point. A playoff system, in any fashion, is better the BSC mess the powerhouse teams are facing. How do you think Auburn feels? Undefeated, ranked #3 and probably not going to get a chance to play for the "national championship".