Lex Revisited

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bigtime75
BobcatNation Redshirt

Lex Revisited

Post by Bigtime75 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:36 pm

Prior to watching the Cat debacle on Saturday, I watched the Griz-NAU game. Besides proving to me that the Griz are going to be a much tougher task for us than last year, I came away in awe of Lex Hilliard. I have seen every starting RB in the Big Sky this year, either live or on TV, and this kid is the most talented running back in the Big Sky PERIOD! His combo of speed and power is unbelievable and the kid runs hard every play. I would be surprised if he isn't on the Peyton watch list the next couple of years. If it wasnt for Green being a senior, Hilliard would be a 1200 yard back easily. I can't even imagine our offense if we had a back of his calliber. Anyone who ventures to say that Domineck or Milton is anywhere near this kid is either blind or fool. We better start planning our D strategy now, because Hilliard is the key to the Brawl. If he gets 110+ yards, we are done. I thought the kid looked pretty damn good last year, but let's not fool ourselves, this kid is much better than last year.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:41 pm

I like this guy :arrow: Bigtime

Not that I want to pick out curtains. :oops:

I agree, Lex is a stud. He's got a swagger when he walks. I'd certainly want to tackle him low. The one thing about Lex, he never shy's away from the hit. It's like he'd rather knock over a linebacker than make a move and get more yards. If he works his a$$ off the next couple of years, he's going to be scary.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:59 am

I've stated this warning before but I feel it bears (hehe) repeating here for you, Meat.

You'd better pray that the pros don't start looking at Lex; if the talk starts that he may be good enough to play on Sundays in a few years, he'll be done at UM.

Obviously I may be wrong about this, but if I am, it would constitute a MAJOR change from Lex & his dad's attitudes when he was at Flathead. Once they felt confident that he was going to be able to get a scholarship, his intensity on the field was gone & his willingness to play injured dropped to zero. It got so bad that during a playoff game in Helena during LH's senior season, we faced a critical fourth down and a yard to go late in the second half. The Braves coaching staff had so little faith in Lex at that point that he WASN'T EVEN ON THE FIELD to attempt the potentially game-deciding play.

If I were a griz fan (and I literally thank God every day that I'm not), I'd be hushing any talk of Lex playing professionally.

Remember this one thing: His sophomore year at Flathead was his BEST year.
Last edited by El_Gato on Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:25 pm

El_Gato wrote:I've stated this warning before but I feel it bears (hehe) repeating here for you, Meat.

You'd better pray that the pros don't start looking at Lex; if the talk starts that he may be good enough to play on Sundays in a few years, he'll be done at UM.

Obviously I may be wrong about this, but if I am, it would constitute a MAJOR change from Lex & his dad's attitudes when he was at Flathead. Once they felt confident that he was going to be able to get a scholarship, his intensity on the field was gone & his willingness to play injured dropped to zero. It got so bad that during a playoff game in Helena during LH's senior season, we faced a critical fourth down and a yard to go late in the second half. The Braves coaching staff had so little faith in Lex at that point that he WASN'T EVEN ON THE FIELD to attempt the potentially game-deciding play...Remember this one thing: His sophomore year at Flathead was his BEST year.
Well, that's a negative way of thinking. I didn't watch, or follow, Lex in high school. So, all I have to go on is his collegiate career. I'm just saying his future looks very bright if he works hard and keeps his head on straight.
El_Gato wrote:I'd be hushing any talk of Lex playing professionally.
I never talked about Lex playing professionally. Who's talking about that?

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: Lex Revisited

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:11 pm

Bigtime75 wrote:Prior to watching the Cat debacle on Saturday, I watched the Griz-NAU game. Besides proving to me that the Griz are going to be a much tougher task for us than last year, I came away in awe of Lex Hilliard. I have seen every starting RB in the Big Sky this year, either live or on TV, and this kid is the most talented running back in the Big Sky PERIOD! His combo of speed and power is unbelievable and the kid runs hard every play. I would be surprised if he isn't on the Peyton watch list the next couple of years. If it wasnt for Green being a senior, Hilliard would be a 1200 yard back easily. I can't even imagine our offense if we had a back of his calliber. Anyone who ventures to say that Domineck or Milton is anywhere near this kid is either blind or fool. We better start planning our D strategy now, because Hilliard is the key to the Brawl. If he gets 110+ yards, we are done. I thought the kid looked pretty damn good last year, but let's not fool ourselves, this kid is much better than last year.
Yeah, he's a darn good back thats for sure. However, if you see him running for the Griz, what do you see before he hits the line? A HOLE. MSU's OL has not shown the ability to open up a hole at all this year. They are good pass blockers, but the run blocking still isn't there yet. Domineck is a better blitz blocker/receiver than hiliard though in my mind, but as you can plainly see ... not as good of pure runner. RB"s cannot run through a wall and keep a considerable average. To see Domineck averaging 3.4 yards a carry this year I think is pretty amazing in itself so far. Its only going to get better later this year and into next year.

LETS HOPE ITS GETS BETTER IN A HURRY THIS WEEK. MAYBE WE WILL RUN ALL OVER EWU IN A RUNNING GAME SHOCKER. TO ME, THAT IS THE ONLY WAY WE BEAT EWU. Keep their offense off the field. Thats the only way teams have beaten them this year is by running the ball.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:50 pm

Cat-theotherwhitemeat wrote:I never talked about Lex playing professionally. Who's talking about that?
Meat,

I just KNEW you were a quick-study! Keep it up!

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most