A positive Bobby Hauck story

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Nick
BobcatNation Team Captain

A positive Bobby Hauck story

Post by Nick » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:25 pm

Former Griz head coach Jack Swarthout, who guided Montana to undefeated seasons in 1969 and 70 was honored along with his teams on Saturday at the Montana - NAU game.

After the win, Bobby Hauck dodged post game interviews and hopped the guard rails up the stadium, climbed to the luxury boxes and handed Swarthout the game ball. Jack has been battling cancer for quite some time now and is not in good physical health..

I was just thinking, I know Cat fans aren't partial to Coach Hauck -- but is that really your unbiased opinion? In judging his character, I mean, not his coaching.
Last edited by Nick on Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FTC

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:11 pm

I watched the game and saw him do that. I thought it was a classy move by Hauck and showed great respect for Grizzly history.

Most of the things that have been brought up by Cat fans in disliking Hauck aren't about his class shown within the Grizzly organization as it is quite apparent that he is a die-hard Grizzly through and through and obviously has great respect and pride in the program. Most complaints have had to do with his attitude towards the world outside the Grizzly org, and most specifically MSU. It seems to most around here that the same feelings that make Hauck extremely proud of the Griz org, cloud his actions concerning his rival. Commonplace for fans, can be hazardous for a head coach. Case in point being Jerome Sauers and the general feeling that he would like to beat the Griz so bad his teams seem to always played very tight against the Griz.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:31 pm

Amen, kmax.

Hauck doesn't seem to grasp that his attitude toward MSU will only HURT his career at UM; all griz fans know he wants to beat the Cats just as we know Kramer wants to beat the griz. The difference is Kramer is always very complimentary of the UM program and never belittles/ridicules/insults them publicly and I believe his feelings and comments regarding UM football are genuine. Does that mean he doesn't LOVE beating them? Absolutely not; it's a great sign of where HIS team is if they can knock off the griz.

I don't care if BH EVER compliments us; I could really care less if he ever gives us credit for anything. But he seems to go out of his way to INSULT our team, our program, even the city of Bozeman. Like it or not, griz fans, but his 'antics' and attitude toward anything to do with MSU is the reason we love to hate him. I seriously doubt you heard or witnessed this type of animosity toward Read or Glenn. (Well, maybe a little toward Glenn the way he trashed our 1981 BSC championship or his feelings about Joey Thomas...)

If we beat Eastern, it will be very interesting to watch BH's comments leading up to the conference-deciding clash November 20th...

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:43 pm

By the way, I meant to say "good job" to BH for that classy move at the game.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

Nick
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Nick » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:10 pm

Okay, I'm beginning to understand.......So Cat fans generally perceive Bobby Hauck as a classy guy within the Montana organization and Big Sky Conference, but his attitude towards MSU has changed their opinion. I'm not sure if Hauck's comments, whatever they may have been were intended to offend. I wonder if he is weary in his own mind not to praise the Bobcats too much (as crazy as it sounds) to appeal more to Griz fans and the Montana tradition.......similar in my opinion to the university hiring back Don Read (the fans in mind.)

el gato I'm not sure I understand your Joe Glenn story. Elaborate?

FTC