CALIFORNIA TRAVEL BAN

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

CALIFORNIA TRAVEL BAN

Post by RICO CAT » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:11 pm

Apparently Montana is one of 23 States on California’s travel ban list for having conservative laws pertaining to abortion and LGBTQ rights. Texas, the site of the final four is another. SDSU being one of those four for the first time will not be effected as the NCAA pays their way. One has to wonder how this will impact other California teams scheduled for travel in the future. I believe something like this has come up before but don’t know how far reaching this will be.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: CALIFORNIA TRAVEL BAN

Post by coloradocat » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:33 pm

RICO CAT wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:11 pm
Apparently Montana is one of 23 States on California’s travel ban list for having conservative laws pertaining to abortion and LGBTQ rights. Texas, the site of the final four is another. SDSU being one of those four for the first time will not be effected as the NCAA pays their way. One has to wonder how this will impact other California teams scheduled for travel in the future. I believe something like this has come up before but don’t know how far reaching this will be.
I guess we'll find out by October 14th. Cal Poly is already a guaranteed win but I suppose we'd take a 2 week bye heading into the Sac State game if they want to stay home.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:52 pm

This "ban" has been in place since 2017 and no California team has missed a trip to Montana since then as far as I can recall. It doesn't ban them from traveling, just from using state funds to pay for it.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:36 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:52 pm
This "ban" has been in place since 2017 and no California team has missed a trip to Montana since then as far as I can recall. It doesn't ban them from traveling, just from using state funds to pay for it.
Yeah, this is old news... I remember people freaking out about this 5 years ago.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:25 am

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:36 am
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:52 pm
Yeah, this is old news... I remember people freaking out about this 5 years ago.
The new news is that it appears that the California legislature is likely going to repeal the (not really a) ban.