Troy Taylor Sac State….

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Sac State's Troy Taylor one of finalists for Stanford gig

Post by kmax » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:32 pm

Per The Athletic Troy Taylor is one of the finalists for the head job at Stanford along with former Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett. Quite the jump from Sac St to Stanford!

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticCFB/stat ... 2450868229

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sac State's Troy Taylor one of finalists for Stanford gig

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:55 pm

kmax wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:32 pm
Per The Athletic Troy Taylor is one of the finalists for the head job at Stanford along with former Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett. Quite the jump from Sac St to Stanford!

Two extremely different candidate. If I'm hiring, I probably go with Taylor, however, Jason Garrett is a much bigger name, and I'm sure the boosters like that.

Also, just curious, does anyone know Skattebo's grade situation? Would he be admitted to Stanford? :twisted:

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:30 pm

kmax wrote:

That would be quite the leap! I'd be very surprised to see that.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:46 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:30 pm
kmax wrote:

Obviously a much bigger name, but it wouldn't be the first time Stanford pulled a head coach directly from FCS as they did the same with Jim Harbaugh back in like 2007 after he had spent only a few years as a head coach at San Diego.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:21 pm

I know he's not the biggest name, but there's a pretty good argument to be made that if you can win consistently at Sac St, you can win anywhere. They've literally never been good and suddenly TT makes them one of the best teams in the country. Even the FBS snobs have to recognize that!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:03 pm

kmax wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:46 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:30 pm
kmax wrote:

Obviously a much bigger name, but it wouldn't be the first time Stanford pulled a head coach directly from FCS as they did the same with Jim Harbaugh back in like 2007 after he had spent only a few years as a head coach at San Diego.
I was going to say, if any Power 5 school would be willing to hire an FCS head coach it's probably Stanford given their history with the Harbaugh hire. Chris Kleiman has also done a great job at K-State which helps FCS head coaches looking to move up.

That said, Taylor seems like an underdog (he's a Cal graduate!) especially if there are other unreported names in the mix.

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:07 pm

I would take Taylor.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:50 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:21 pm
I know he's not the biggest name, but there's a pretty good argument to be made that if you can win consistently at Sac St, you can win anywhere. They've literally never been good and suddenly TT makes them one of the best teams in the country. Even the FBS snobs have to recognize that!
I think in Pac 12 football it would be hard to find a bigger name than Taylor...just a passing glance at his resume...5 years as a Pac 10 position coach...

2016 at EWU FCS semifinalist & OC/QB coach of the Walter Payton Award Winner

2017-2018 Coaches current Baltimore Ravens QB Tyler Huntly & Bills RB Zach Moss as OC/QB coach...Pac 12 runner up

2019-2022 I think hes something like 23-1 in Big Sky Conference play after taking over a Hornets team with 0 wins the season before.

I've said multiple times that FCS head coaches don't make the jump directly to FBS P5 HC jobs except in extremely rare circumstances (Tresell, Harbaugh,Klieman and now Sanders...). Given that Taylor is so highly regarded in Pac 12 circles & only lives 100 miles from the Stanford campus, I'd be more than a little surprised if they don't offer Taylor the job.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:10 am

Looks like Troy Taylor is going to Stanford.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:35 am

rivercat wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:10 am
Looks like Troy Taylor is going to Stanford.
Confirmed!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:03 am

Awkward timing if true, losing your head coach on the day of your first ever FCS Quarterfinal game does not seem ideal.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:43 am

Will this signal the return of Suc State?

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:08 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:03 am
Awkward timing if true, losing your head coach on the day of your first ever FCS Quarterfinal game does not seem ideal.
Both coaches it seems.

Congratulations Coach Taylor. My only regret is we won’t see him next year. For a road win.

Good luck.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:21 am

DMMDCats wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:08 am
MSU01 wrote:
Both coaches it seems.

Congratulations Coach Taylor. My only regret is we won’t see him next year. For a road win.

Good luck.
What do you mean with both coaches ?

Cats and Idaho have to be the favorites next year in the big sky now that Taylor and Hill are leaving.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:22 am

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:43 am
Will this signal the return of Suc State?
You have to believe the top talent, like Scattebo and maybe a couple others, would try to follow him.

I'm happy for Jay Hill and Troy Taylor, but I don't think this is good for the BSC in the long run if we go back to being a conference with only a couple good teams.

Good news for the gris, at least. They'll have a chance to finish better than 6th next year.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:22 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:21 am
DMMDCats wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Both coaches it seems.

Good luck.

Cats and Idaho have to be the favorites next year in the big sky now that Taylor and Hill are leaving.
Gris are preseason favorites again. Sorry.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:26 am

Did a bit more research on this, no confirmation on Taylor yet but the other finalist Jason Garrett announced he's no longer in the running. Taylor seems like the guy but I can see why they'd want to hold off on an official announcement until after Sac plays tonight.

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:10 am

catgrad05 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Both coaches it seems.

Good luck.

Texas State announced Kinne’s hiring prior to UIW’s second-round win over Furman, from which time it was known Kinne would string out the season with the Cardinals.

As for Sacramento State, the Hornets are catching media reports of Taylor’s future potentially being tied to Stanford the day before Friday’s 10:30 PM eastern kickoff with Incarnate Word on ESPN+

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:47 am

DMMDCats wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:10 am
catgrad05 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Both coaches it seems.

Good luck.

Texas State announced Kinne’s hiring prior to UIW’s second-round win over Furman, from which time it was known Kinne would string out the season with the Cardinals.

As for Sacramento State, the Hornets are catching media reports of Taylor’s future potentially being tied to Stanford the day before Friday’s 10:30 PM eastern kickoff with Incarnate Word on ESPN+
I have to believe that a coach would tell his team in a situation like this.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:17 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:26 am
Did a bit more research on this, no confirmation on Taylor yet but the other finalist Jason Garrett announced he's no longer in the running. Taylor seems like the guy but I can see why they'd want to hold off on an official announcement until after Sac plays tonight.
Bruce Feldman (he’s the insiders insider) said Stanford had interviewed 3 finalists. Garrett, Taylor, and another he didn’t name. So it sounds like it’s between Taylor and an unknown.