Jay Hill to BYU?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

JDoub
Member # Retired

Jay Hill to BYU?

Post by JDoub » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:04 pm

lots of rumor mill activity about Jay Hill coming to BYU as DC

He was on staff with current BYU HC while at Utah, has expressed his desire to stay in Utah

My thought was he would be tapped as HC at Utah State, or an FBS school - I think he’s too smart to take something like UNLV and such, but would be too much a long shot to replace Wittingham at Utah, and he’s not true blue enough for BYU HC, but I could see him as DC at BYU

JDoub
Member # Retired

Re: Jay Hill to BYU?

Post by JDoub » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:06 pm

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:27 pm

This would make a lot of sense. 9 years is a long time to stay in one job, I can see him wanting a new challenge. Would be a major pay raise, I'm assuming.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:16 pm

JDoub wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:04 pm

He was on staff with current BYU HC while at Utah, has expressed his desire to stay in Utah

My thought was he would be tapped as HC at Utah State, or an FBS school - I think he’s too smart to take something like UNLV and such, but would be too much a long shot to replace Wittingham at Utah, and he’s not true blue enough for BYU HC, but I could see him as DC at BYU
He'd be a good hire there. I hate BYU, but he'd be good.

I think the middling playoff success he had at Weber is mostly due to things out of his control, but without better results, I don't think he's going to find a better gig given his record. 0.0% chance he's hired to replace Wittingham unless & until he's won multiple national championships.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:14 am

onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:16 pm
JDoub wrote:

I think the middling playoff success he had at Weber is mostly due to things out of his control, but without better results, I don't think he's going to find a better gig given his record. 0.0% chance he's hired to replace Wittingham unless & until he's won multiple national championships.
You would think after beating Utah State 35-7, USU would take note of Hill! I was surprised he wasn't on their short list last go around.

I developed quite a distain for BYU when I lived in SLC - but became a Ute fan. Hill is highly regarded at Utah, and yes he wouldn't replace Whittingham outright, his chance there would be to get on as DC or AHC & hope he rises to the top - Utah has a history of promoting from within, and Whittingham was on a succession plan before he was named HC, same way with Morgan Scalley - he went from player, to Grad Assist., to asst sec coach, to safties coach, to DB coach, to asst. DC, to DC - so he's been at Utah since his playing days in 2001. Hill still has clout at Utah, and he'd need to be DC for several years before a chance at HC. Also, Whit's contract I think has another 5 years on it, and he's making up to $8+ Million per year, has been there forever - 2nd longest tenured FBS coach, but he is 62 and wonder if/when he will retire.

Hill would be good for BYU. But I'm not convinced BYU would be good for Hill - only 'cause I like Hill, and loathe BYU!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:05 am

JDoub wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:14 am
onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:16 pm
JDoub wrote:

You would think after beating Utah State 35-7, USU would take note of Hill! I was surprised he wasn't on their short list last go around.

I developed quite a distain for BYU when I lived in SLC - but became a Ute fan. Hill is highly regarded at Utah, and yes he wouldn't replace Whittingham outright, his chance there would be to get on as DC or AHC & hope he rises to the top - Utah has a history of promoting from within, and Whittingham was on a succession plan before he was named HC, same way with Morgan Scalley - he went from player, to Grad Assist., to asst sec coach, to safties coach, to DB coach, to asst. DC, to DC - so he's been at Utah since his playing days in 2001. Hill still has clout at Utah, and he'd need to be DC for several years before a chance at HC. Also, Whit's contract I think has another 5 years on it, and he's making up to $8+ Million per year, has been there forever - 2nd longest tenured FBS coach, but he is 62 and wonder if/when he will retire.

Hill would be good for BYU. But I'm not convinced BYU would be good for Hill - only 'cause I like Hill, and loathe BYU!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:38 pm

So, who is going to be the next person in line for the Weber job? Jay Hill is headed to BYU. The Big Sky is going to be wild next year with new coaches and new players.

Punters are people too!!

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:05 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:38 pm
So, who is going to be the next person in line for the Weber job? Jay Hill is headed to BYU. The Big Sky is going to be wild next year with new coaches and new players.
Wonder if Ed Lamb is still excited about taking over at UNC? You have to think he would be in the running for the Weber job which is a much better job.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:45 am

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/statu ... B5NpLLuDrQ

So if finalized, he will have been given a sour send-off by MSU - losing to us twice in one season & ending Weebs playoff run

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:02 pm

Interesting, but ESPN mentioned Troy Taylor as a candidate for the Stanford job.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:48 pm

Nice tribute to Jay Hill from Weber State …

https://weberstatesports.com/news/2022/ ... eber-state

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:08 pm

He is Associate Head Coach and DC, which I think means he would be interim HC when Satiki leaves/gets fired

His new salary is over $1Million per year, per Deseret News

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:42 pm

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:47 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:42 pm
Bronson Barron is in the portal

https://twitter.com/farrellportal/statu ... 7201920003
Boy, this one is a little surprising. Is he a G5 athlete? Weber seemed like a good fit for his talent.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:23 am

Looks like Weber is promoting their OC Mickey Mental to head coach. This was his first year at Weber but he was a successful D-II head coach before that, along with having a name that looks like someone got autocorrected by their phone when trying to type Mickey Mantle.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:51 am

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:23 am
Looks like Weber is promoting their OC Mickey Mental to head coach. This was his first year at Weber but he was a successful D-II head coach before that, along with having a name that looks like someone got autocorrected by their phone when trying to type Mickey Mantle.
That's exactly what I thought when I read the first sentence. :D

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:13 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:23 am
That is official …

https://weberstatesports.com/news/2022/ ... head-coach