Portland State against Lincoln University - 100 pts for PSU?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Portland State against Lincoln University - 100 pts for PSU?

Post by Rich K » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:17 pm

Portland State has an OOC game against Lincoln University of Oakland CA.

I did my normal searching for information about this football powerhouse and haven't even figured out what Division they play. Still not sure. I do know they they are winless. They got beat by an otherwise winless Division II Western Oregon team by several touchdowns. I think they are worse than the team that Stephen F. Austin trounced by 98. Quite frankly this is pathetic that a Big Sky Conference team is playing Lincoln. Pioneer league teams look like football titans compared to Lincoln.

I don't really like using the language I have used when describing Lincoln, and it's not directed towards them. I am trying to blast Portland State for the lack of leadership that has got them to the point that in order to sustain their program they had to play two FBS money games to make the money work out while bringing Lincoln to their sterile environment.

The Big Sky deserves better than this and this is gentle agitation for PSU to either get up to speed or quit football entirely.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Portland State against Lincoln University - 100 pts for PSU?

Post by Rich K » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:42 pm

Here's an interview with Barnum and does he sound tired. He talks a little about Division II Lincoln and how he screwed up and had to schedule them.

It's family day at Hillsboro this Saturday maybe coach will buy some beer!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:48 pm

Barney seems like he can't wait to get fired so he can join Bobbi's staff.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:14 pm

Lincoln has already played two FCS opponents (St Thomas and Texas A&M Commerce) and lost by scores of 43-6 and 52-7, so I don't think they're quite as hopeless as the team SFA put up 98 against. MSU has played many many overmatched D-II opponents over the years (and sadly, a few that weren't overmatched at all) so I have a hard time being too critical.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:30 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:14 pm
Lincoln has already played two FCS opponents (St Thomas and Texas A&M Commerce) and lost by scores of 43-6 and 52-7, so I don't think they're quite as hopeless as the team SFA put up 98 against. MSU has played many many overmatched D-II opponents over the years (and sadly, a few that weren't overmatched at all) so I have a hard time being too critical.
Yea the Bobcats have played some weak teams and some D-II teams and those have always been accompanied by loud disapproval from Bobcat fans and when fellow Big Sky teams made such scheduling moves they were met with ridicule. If Barnum is to be believed he is responsible for the Lincoln game, as he said in the interview that he thought he had an FCS team coming but the contract never got signed. That's on him. On the Portland State University is the fact that for as far into the future as the schedule goes they have scheduled two money games per year. My quick review shows they have over 10 seasons in a row where they play two play up money games just to pay the bills. PSU doesn't want football. Years ago they tried to chop it and the AD and Barnum and friends convinced the administration they could make it work. The administration doesn't want it and this is what happens when support isn't forthcoming.

Two money games every year.
Crappy OOC scheduling.
Non-existent facilities.
No support in negotiation for Providence Park.
Long long long bus rides.
Ridiculous events such as Barnum buying beer.
Probably more but those are just top of mind.

I would think that for the good of the conference every time Barnum gets interviewed he bring these shortcomings up if he doesn't get asked about them. Portland State administration needs to make a decision about it's commitment to football.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:47 pm

Rich K wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:30 am
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:14 pm
Yea the Bobcats have played some weak teams and some D-II teams and those have always been accompanied by loud disapproval from Bobcat fans and when fellow Big Sky teams made such scheduling moves they were met with ridicule. If Barnum is to be believed he is responsible for the Lincoln game, as he said in the interview that he thought he had an FCS team coming but the contract never got signed. That's on him. On the Portland State University is the fact that for as far into the future as the schedule goes they have scheduled two money games per year. My quick review shows they have over 10 seasons in a row where they play two play up money games just to pay the bills. PSU doesn't want football. Years ago they tried to chop it and the AD and Barnum and friends convinced the administration they could make it work. The administration doesn't want it and this is what happens when support isn't forthcoming.

Two money games every year.
Crappy OOC scheduling.
Non-existent facilities.
No support in negotiation for Providence Park.
Long long long bus rides.
Ridiculous events such as Barnum buying beer.
Probably more but those are just top of mind.

I would think that for the good of the conference every time Barnum gets interviewed he bring these shortcomings up if he doesn't get asked about them. Portland State administration needs to make a decision about it's commitment to football.
Barnum won't buy beer at a bobcat game, his entire salary used for one beer garden!

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:18 pm

Massey has PSU at 52-3...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:02 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:18 pm
Massey has PSU at 52-3...
That’s at least respectable, but we’ll see. Barney is a stand-up guy, and I’ll bet someone else dropped the ball as much or more than he did. Strange that the opponent didn’t notice the lack of a signed contract. Maybe someone has an unexpected open date.