Weber State

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Weber State

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:00 pm

How come no one is talking about (talking up) Weber State? They seem to have been playing the best football of any team in the BSC thus far in 2022.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Weber State

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:30 pm

I agree. I was going to suggest them for #1 this week when my on-screen keyboard disappeared. I never trust human voters, but sure enough, the Massey simulation computer has Weber State as #1. Well-calculated I think. Their strength of schedule has been pretty good, as well as their success. Enough to move ahead of the Gris and the Bizon, both of whom have spelling issues. The Jackrabbits are #4, Ewoo is #17, while the ‘Cats dropped from #5 to #11 following the drubbing at the dam. The Beavers moved up 8 places to #30 in the FBS ratings. Why do we always seem to play an ascendant FBS team?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:22 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:30 pm
I agree. I was going to suggest them for #1 this week when my on-screen keyboard disappeared. I never trust human voters, but sure enough, the Massey simulation computer has Weber State as #1. Well-calculated I think. Their strength of schedule has been pretty good, as well as their success. Enough to move ahead of the Gris and the Bizon, both of whom have spelling issues. The Jackrabbits are #4, Ewoo is #17, while the ‘Cats dropped from #5 to #11 following the drubbing at the dam. The Beavers moved up 8 places to #30 in the FBS ratings. Why do we always seem to play an ascendant FBS team?
Their offense compliments their defense.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:03 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:22 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:30 pm
Their offense compliments their defense.
Well, that is really nice to hear! 😁
[Sorry, I just couldn’t pass this one up.]

WSUWILDCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:50 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:00 pm
How come no one is talking about (talking up) Weber State? They seem to have been playing the best football of any team in the BSC thus far in 2022.

Season is young, "bad" season last year (despite being a few plays from finishing 8-3) probably has the most to do with it.

It seems Weber has to prove themselves more than others despite winning 4 of the last 5 big sky titles.

Granted we are running a brand new offense and there is still a lot to clean up. Our OOC was weak to ok. It's sad we had to schedule Western Oregon but JMU ditched us late and we had no other options. Dixie is a good offensive team but not defensive so it's hard to tell there. USU win is impressive but how good are the Aggies?

Weber can help their cause by winning at Davis this weekend.

While I'd like to put Weber at #1 in the conference I'm willing to wait and see some more games play out.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:42 pm

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:50 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

Season is young, "bad" season last year (despite being a few plays from finishing 8-3) probably has the most to do with it.

It seems Weber has to prove themselves more than others despite winning 4 of the last 5 big sky titles.

Granted we are running a brand new offense and there is still a lot to clean up. Our OOC was weak to ok. It's sad we had to schedule Western Oregon but JMU ditched us late and we had no other options. Dixie is a good offensive team but not defensive so it's hard to tell there. USU win is impressive but how good are the Aggies?

While I'd like to put Weber at #1 in the conference I'm willing to wait and see some more games play out.
Early season rankings are pretty silly, and unfortunately they do matter. They're based on so many unknowns that they shouldn't even be there the first few weeks. Problem is, if Weber had gotten a high ranking, performed like they have, then lost to Davis, they'd get dropped to maybe 10th assuming it was a close loss. Instead, moving their way up to 12 and losing to an unranked Davis team, they'd drop maybe out of the top 20 and then it's a tough road to get to a top 8 seed. If MSU had started out ranked, say #20, I'm not sure anything they've done so far would have put them much higher than about #15. Fortunately both teams are in a strong league, so a team that takes care of business will be looked on favorably. But the margin for error gets pretty small.

WSUWILDCAT

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:19 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:42 pm
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Early season rankings are pretty silly, and unfortunately they do matter. They're based on so many unknowns that they shouldn't even be there the first few weeks. Problem is, if Weber had gotten a high ranking, performed like they have, then lost to Davis, they'd get dropped to maybe 10th assuming it was a close loss. Instead, moving their way up to 12 and losing to an unranked Davis team, they'd drop maybe out of the top 20 and then it's a tough road to get to a top 8 seed. If MSU had started out ranked, say #20, I'm not sure anything they've done so far would have put them much higher than about #15. Fortunately both teams are in a strong league, so a team that takes care of business will be looked on favorably. But the margin for error gets pretty small.

It's very reminiscent of our 08 season where we started unranked and won the conference but lost to EWU at the end. Despite winning the conference autobid, we did not get a seed and had to play both playoff games on the road including at an opponent we had beaten by 17 earlier in the season.

This is a tough league and everything will work it's way out in the end. The best team will win and whoever that is will still most likey get a high seed.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:53 pm

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:19 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

It's very reminiscent of our 08 season where we started unranked and won the conference but lost to EWU at the end. Despite winning the conference autobid, we did not get a seed and had to play both playoff games on the road including at an opponent we had beaten by 17 earlier in the season.

This is a tough league and everything will work it's way out in the end. The best team will win and whoever that is will still most likey get a high seed.
I can also see it working out a little like last year, where the top teams all beat each other leaving 3-4 seed contenders in the #4-8 range. I just checked Weber's schedule and wow - MSU, UM, and Sac back to back to back will be a challenge to say the least!

WSUWILDCAT

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:43 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:53 pm
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I can also see it working out a little like last year, where the top teams all beat each other leaving 3-4 seed contenders in the #4-8 range. I just checked Weber's schedule and wow - MSU, UM, and Sac back to back to back will be a challenge to say the least!
Not to mention what will be a very desperate EWU team in two weeks. Throw a roadie vs Portland State in the mix and yeah it's brutal.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:19 am

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:43 am
MSU01 wrote:
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Not to mention what will be a very desperate EWU team in two weeks. Throw a roadie vs Portland State in the mix and yeah it's brutal.
I don't think PSU is very good at all.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

WSUWILDCAT

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:33 am

catatac wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:19 am
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:43 am
MSU01 wrote:
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I don't think PSU is very good at all.

Probably not, but thrown in between Eastern and you guys and that sets up a perfect scenario for a let down looking ahead kinda game.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:57 pm

PSU is never any good — until you have to play them.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:25 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:57 pm
PSU is never any good — until you have to play them.
Yeah, they are just one of those scrappy teams that always have some odd ball stuff that gives problems to teams.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:08 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Haven’t you heard about the Griz defense!? Like I hear they’re better than the 85 Bears….

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:07 pm

Right now Weber looks like the best football team in Utah. Go Utes!

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:05 am

Rich K wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:07 pm
Interesting that byu only beat usu 38-26. Not sure if usu just got better since then, but Weber looks good.

Based on the on-field performance of all BSC teams, I’d say Weber is the most impressive team to date.

toM StUber

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:32 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:05 am
Rich K wrote:
Interesting that byu only beat usu 38-26. Not sure if usu just got better since then, but Weber looks good.

Based on the on-field performance of all BSC teams, I’d say Weber is the most impressive team to date.
I think it's between Weber and UM. MSU is the dark horse but I think Weber and UM will beat Sac St this year.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:02 pm

seataccat wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:32 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Rich K wrote:

I think it's between Weber and UM. MSU is the dark horse but I think Weber and UM will beat Sac St this year.
But... we get Weber AND UM at home. Very difficult for ANY team to come into Bobcat Stadium and beat the Cats nowadays. =D^

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:09 am

seataccat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Until UM plays someone good, I'm going to hold judgement on them. Weber has knocked off Utah State (35-7) and Davis (17-12) both on the road. USU showed well vs. BYU Thursday night. WSU played poorly on the road, but still found a way to beat a good Davis team. UM's opponents are 3-17, including and entering today's game vs. ISU, so probably 3-18 soon. Their most impressive win is 24-7 at home over South Dakota State. UM at SAC could be a showdown of 6-0 teams. People overlook SAC because of their playoff failings, but I think they're very well coached and talented.

I'd put MSU at 3rd or 4th right now, but I think MSU has the most upside and could easily be the most balanced team in the league once they settle in. Tonight's game vs. Davis is a big swing game for MSU. After last week's win, if they play well tonight that could send them on their way.

toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:31 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:09 am
seataccat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Until UM plays someone good, I'm going to hold judgement on them. Weber has knocked off Utah State (35-7) and Davis (17-12) both on the road. USU showed well vs. BYU Thursday night. WSU played poorly on the road, but still found a way to beat a good Davis team. UM's opponents are 3-17, including and entering today's game vs. ISU, so probably 3-18 soon. Their most impressive win is 24-7 at home over South Dakota State. UM at SAC could be a showdown of 6-0 teams. People overlook SAC because of their playoff failings, but I think they're very well coached and talented.

I'd put MSU at 3rd or 4th right now, but I think MSU has the most upside and could easily be the most balanced team in the league once they settle in. Tonight's game vs. Davis is a big swing game for MSU. After last week's win, if they play well tonight that could send them on their way.
There's a big, big difference between South Dakota, and South Dakota State. :lol: