UCLA and USC to the Big 10?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

UCLA and USC to the Big 10?

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:46 am

Dominoes are falling boys. @Common Cat's prediction of MSU to the MWC in the next 5 years may just have gotten a kick in the pants.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: UCLA and USC to the Big 10?

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:22 pm

Been saying it as well. I believe it could be the reason Leon hasn't left. He knows there is a good chance he can stay in Bz AND be a MWC AD.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:25 pm

Wow, I wish I could go back 15 years and see my reaction to the idea that USC/Nebraska would someday be a Big Ten conference game.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:48 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:22 pm
Been saying it as well. I believe it could be the reason Leon hasn't left. He knows there is a good chance he can stay in Bz AND be a MWC AD.
I’d say it’s a very likely scenario now. Boise State is almost a lock for PAC 12 I would assume possibly Fresno State to keep a California pipeline?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:24 pm

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:38 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:48 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
I’d say it’s a very likely scenario now. Boise State is almost a lock for PAC 12 I would assume possibly Fresno State to keep a California pipeline?
I agree on Boise State, but maybe San Diego State would also be a strong possibility.

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:20 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
The other reason he has stayed probably has a lot to do with his family. He has 3 kids under 8th grade. Gets to help coach on their teams and watch them play.

It's a lot to give up and becomes harder at the next level.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:28 pm

kcatz wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:20 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
The other reason he has stayed probably has a lot to do with his family. He has 3 kids under 8th grade. Gets to help coach on their teams and watch them play.

Balancing career and family is always a challenge families struggle with. But for right career advancement you can make it work. We moved five times with three kids under eighth grade including international. Others on here that were or are military likely face that. Yeah we missed some continuity but we also had some great new adventures. I lost some coaching of kids but also was able to assist or head coach in a number of places….and made over 90% of all their events.

I guess my point is for the right career opportunity he would move on. He has a lot to offer. I am sure he and Wadid have those career discussions.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:33 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:28 pm
kcatz wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:20 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:

Balancing career and family is always a challenge families struggle with. But for right career advancement you can make it work. We moved five times with three kids under eighth grade including international. Others on here that were or are military likely face that. Yeah we missed some continuity but we also had some great new adventures. I lost some coaching of kids but also was able to assist or head coach in a number of places….and made over 90% of all their events.

I guess my point is for the right career opportunity he would move on. He has a lot to offer. I am sure he and Wadid have those career discussions.
Let's see.
Havre, mt
Harlowton Mt
San Diego
Meridian Mississippi
Bremerton
San Diego
Moscow ID
Athens Georgia
Ponte vedra beach FL
Charleston SC
Ponte vedra beach FL
San Diego
Tazar Hungary
San Diego
Yokosuka Japan
Las Vegas
Livingston Mt
Billings Mt
Douglas WY
Rio rancho NM
And where to next?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:45 am

What might be interesting is if the Mountain West instead of picking up 2 teams picked up 4 teams from the FCS, specifically the Big Sky.
UC Davis might be the best positioned financially to move to FBS. They have a $1.8 Billion endowment and have already had stadium upgrade approved. When they move up to FBS fickle Californians will come watch them.
Montana State might be next based on the trajectory of the University in recent years. MSU is not the anchor anymore, UM is the anchor. If we really are tied together by the regents than UM gets to ride along.
The fourth team would be the best of the rest - -Idaho. They stunk up their last trip to FBS but if they ride along with MSU and UM this time it will be different.

The rest of the Big Sky is not ready for prime time and might have to pick up a team or two. Since the bottom of the FCS is already overfilled with teams that shouldn't be Division 1 they might as well pull in a Central Washington or Eastern Oregon. I won't care anyway.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

damnyoutuesday
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by damnyoutuesday » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:40 pm

Rich K wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:45 am
What might be interesting is if the Mountain West instead of picking up 2 teams picked up 4 teams from the FCS, specifically the Big Sky.
UC Davis might be the best positioned financially to move to FBS. They have a $1.8 Billion endowment and have already had stadium upgrade approved. When they move up to FBS fickle Californians will come watch them.
Montana State might be next based on the trajectory of the University in recent years. MSU is not the anchor anymore, UM is the anchor. If we really are tied together by the regents than UM gets to ride along.
The fourth team would be the best of the rest - -Idaho. They stunk up their last trip to FBS but if they ride along with MSU and UM this time it will be different.

The rest of the Big Sky is not ready for prime time and might have to pick up a team or two. Since the bottom of the FCS is already overfilled with teams that shouldn't be Division 1 they might as well pull in a Central Washington or Eastern Oregon. I won't care anyway.
Weber State has their ****** together way more than Idaho does

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:54 pm

damnyoutuesday wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:40 pm
Rich K wrote:

Ndsu way before Idaho

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:32 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:54 pm
damnyoutuesday wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Ndsu way before Idaho

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:45 pm

Rich K wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:32 pm
Montanabob wrote:
damnyoutuesday wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Ndsu way before Idaho
Don't go to Scout, a couple of vandal's think they belong in the pac 8.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:32 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:45 pm
Rich K wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:32 pm
Montanabob wrote:
damnyoutuesday wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Ndsu way before Idaho
Don't go to Scout, a couple of vandal's think they belong in the pac 8.
If the PAC starts adding teams UCD will get a serious look. They have the academic credentials and the money to upgrade their stadium. They would instantly be competitive.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:00 pm

The Big Ten's mistake was not taking Nike U and Washington at the same time and just killing the Pac-12.

That aside, when I visited SoCal in Thanksgiving, no one cared about SC or UCLA. There was Rams stuff everywhere. If SC ends up being a middling Big Ten team (like it's been the majority of the time in the Pac-10 / 12 for the past three decades), there will be more fans watching the Griz or Cats then seeing if SC can become bowl eligible with a win over Purdue. SC can be a big deal... but when the fans don't care those fans really don't care. UCLA is similar, except it has an even lower ceiling.

"Great shot kid, don't get cocky."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:34 am

theblackgecko wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:00 pm
The Big Ten's mistake was not taking Nike U and Washington at the same time and just killing the Pac-12.

That aside, when I visited SoCal in Thanksgiving, no one cared about SC or UCLA. There was Rams stuff everywhere. If SC ends up being a middling Big Ten team (like it's been the majority of the time in the Pac-10 / 12 for the past three decades), there will be more fans watching the Griz or Cats then seeing if SC can become bowl eligible with a win over Purdue. SC can be a big deal... but when the fans don't care those fans really don't care. UCLA is similar, except it has an even lower ceiling.
It seems to be that LA is a good basketball city but has never been a great football city. The only real passionate football fanbase in that whole state was the Raiders and they moved them to Vegas. I mean I'm a Rams fan and even during their Super Bowl season it seems like it wasn't as big of deal in LA as you would have thought it would have been.

But it's a big TV market which is the most important part right now.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:33 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:34 am
theblackgecko wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:00 pm

It seems to be that LA is a good basketball city but has never been a great football city. The only real passionate football fanbase in that whole state was the Raiders and they moved them to Vegas. I mean I'm a Rams fan and even during their Super Bowl season it seems like it wasn't as big of deal in LA as you would have thought it would have been.

But it's a big TV market which is the most important part right now.
Yeah, TV is everything.

As far as game day experience, you don't see a ton of places with a lot of other things to do recreationally having a good one. Think of the best...what else are you doing to do in College Station, TX, State College, PA, Tuscaloosa, AL, Knoxville, TN, Ann Arbor, MI, Lincoln, NE? Obviously some southern towns have plenty more going on, like Austin and Athens, but those are southern towns where football will always be king. When your average college student heads off to LA, Tempe, or Miami, they're getting caught up in lots of other things that would far outweigh football for the less-than-passionate football fan. BUT, their grads--and there are a lot of them--will always be fans, and they'll live all over the country. There will always be a lot of eyes on TVs, and not just in the major markets. Nobody cares that the stadiums are less than half full when they're making as much on TV as they would in 100 home football games.