Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RangeRider
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Ovando, Montana

Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by RangeRider » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:27 am

Per a tweet from the Havre Daily News last night, Jerome Souers, formerly of NAU, is interviewing for the head FB coach of the Skylights. Interesing spot to land...



Rich K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4361
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?r

Post by Rich K » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:27 am

Interesting path for Souers. I was under the impression that he was retiring when he left Northern Arizona but he has most recently been the defensive coordinator at Southern Oregon. The Skylights definitely need a big change if they are to turn things around and he just might be the guy. I am real surprised that Souers is even interested in the job.


Let's Go Brandon!

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
Member # Retired
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:35 pm

He worked in Montana for quite awhile — might be interested in finding a path back.



MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4925
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:31 pm

Wow - MSUN seems like a really really tough place to build a program. Best of luck to him if he goes there, would be a great hire if they can pull it off!


Go Bobcats!

User avatar
catgrad05
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1984
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 am
Location: North Central Montna

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by catgrad05 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:26 pm

Introduced as the new coach today. Wow



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
Member # Retired
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:29 pm

Excellent for them. I’m still betting on family or some other connection for him. And maybe he just wants to be closer to his team, actually coach more football, than he could at an FCS school. I wish him all the good fortune (and polar fleece) in the world!!

UPDATE:

Here’s a link I just found to the Havre Daily News:

https://www.havredailynews.com/story/2 ... 36905.html



Rich K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4361
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by Rich K » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:48 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:26 pm
Introduced as the new coach today. Wow
I'm seeing that he was introduced as the newest candidate for the position. Where did you see that he was offered?


Let's Go Brandon!

User avatar
Montanabob
Member # Retired
Posts: 2291
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:03 pm

He has some help up there from Chinook.
https://406mtsports.com/college/frontie ... a671f.html


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: The HiLine

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by HiLineCat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:19 pm

And by the way - it's the Northern Lights. The Skylights are the women's teams.



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired
Posts: 2549
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Kalispell, MT

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:53 am

This is so interesting. I just can't wrap my head around why a coach with his credentials would take a job like this. No disrespect to Northern or to Havre, but it just goes against everything that I think I know about coaches. I mean I get it if you want to take a job at a small school in San Diego or Scottsdale, but Havre isn't exactly a retirement destination.

So here's a hot take and a possibility I just can't shake. Did Hauck talk him into taking that job and becoming a feeder program for um? With the portal and some teams wanting to build with more transfers than high school kids, does Hauck want kids to go there and bulk up, mature, and get a little more experience before transferring to him? If the griz send 5 HS guys there a year, that gives them 5 spots to fill with transfers that can help right away. Then those guys who would've been redshirting and sitting on the bench anyway get some game experience and more time in the weight room and at the cafeteria and they're further along than the guys who did nothing but practice in Missoula for 2-3 years.


Image

MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4925
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:35 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:53 am
This is so interesting. I just can't wrap my head around why a coach with his credentials would take a job like this. No disrespect to Northern or to Havre, but it just goes against everything that I think I know about coaches. I mean I get it if you want to take a job at a small school in San Diego or Scottsdale, but Havre isn't exactly a retirement destination.

So here's a hot take and a possibility I just can't shake. Did Hauck talk him into taking that job and becoming a feeder program for um? With the portal and some teams wanting to build with more transfers than high school kids, does Hauck want kids to go there and bulk up, mature, and get a little more experience before transferring to him? If the griz send 5 HS guys there a year, that gives them 5 spots to fill with transfers that can help right away. Then those guys who would've been redshirting and sitting on the bench anyway get some game experience and more time in the weight room and at the cafeteria and they're further along than the guys who did nothing but practice in Missoula for 2-3 years.
No. How many Frontier to Big Sky transfers can you remember? Bobby Hauck might like the idea but good luck convincing kids to go to Havre for two years on the chance that UM MIGHT be interested later on.


Go Bobcats!

User avatar
kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired
Posts: 2549
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Kalispell, MT

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:24 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:35 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:53 am
This is so interesting. I just can't wrap my head around why a coach with his credentials would take a job like this. No disrespect to Northern or to Havre, but it just goes against everything that I think I know about coaches. I mean I get it if you want to take a job at a small school in San Diego or Scottsdale, but Havre isn't exactly a retirement destination.

So here's a hot take and a possibility I just can't shake. Did Hauck talk him into taking that job and becoming a feeder program for um? With the portal and some teams wanting to build with more transfers than high school kids, does Hauck want kids to go there and bulk up, mature, and get a little more experience before transferring to him? If the griz send 5 HS guys there a year, that gives them 5 spots to fill with transfers that can help right away. Then those guys who would've been redshirting and sitting on the bench anyway get some game experience and more time in the weight room and at the cafeteria and they're further along than the guys who did nothing but practice in Missoula for 2-3 years.
No. How many Frontier to Big Sky transfers can you remember? Bobby Hauck might like the idea but good luck convincing kids to go to Havre for two years on the chance that UM MIGHT be interested later on.
It's a longshot, I know. And yes, current Frontier players aren't candidates for FCS generally, but if they go there with the intention of being groomed for an FCS spot, it would make sense. Might be too big of a risk and might not work, but it seems like something like that COULD work. You take your PWO kids and get them a scholarship somewhere else. Get them trained up under a guy who clearly knows what he's doing. Some of us have talked about the possibility of struggling FCS programs getting partially funded by big programs like Texas just so they can be feeders. I wouldn't be surprised if FCS programs started picking smaller programs to be their feeders. College football is changing, and I think we're going to see some weird stuff happen in the next few years. Some of it will work, some won't.


Image

User avatar
Hi-Line Bobcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2949
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:25 pm

Going from Flagstaff to Havre would be like leaving Heaven for hell. Yikes


If your left, you aren’t right.

imacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1280
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by imacat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:25 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:25 pm
Going from Flagstaff to Havre would be like leaving Heaven for hell. Yikes
You know what, that is Coach Souer’s decision not ours. And … he is in Ashland, Oregon, not Flagstaff.
Last edited by imacat on Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5872
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by RickRund » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:36 pm

imacat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:25 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:25 pm
Going from Flagstaff to Havre would be like leaving Heaven for hell. Yikes
You know what, that is Coach Souer’s decision not ours. And … he is Ashland, Oregon, not Flagstaff.
Hey wait up, Ashland has a Shakespeare Festival every year :) :)


msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

imacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1280
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by imacat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:01 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:36 pm
imacat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:25 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:25 pm
Going from Flagstaff to Havre would be like leaving Heaven for hell. Yikes
You know what, that is Coach Souer’s decision not ours. And … he is Ashland, Oregon, not Flagstaff.
Hey wait up, Ashland has a Shakespeare Festival every year :) :)
I believe Havre has Shakespeare in the Park!



BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:38 pm
Location: Spokane

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by BStinsMSU » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:50 pm

Good for Northern. Brand new stadium. Brand new AD I believe Hope they can start to at least hold their own.


"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5872
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by RickRund » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:49 pm

BStinsMSU wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:50 pm
Good for Northern. Brand new stadium. Brand new AD I believe Hope they can start to at least hold their own.
Had no idea their record in the Frontier was so dismal.


msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:38 pm
Location: Spokane

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by BStinsMSU » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:53 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:49 pm
BStinsMSU wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:50 pm
Good for Northern. Brand new stadium. Brand new AD I believe Hope they can start to at least hold their own.
Had no idea their record in the Frontier was so dismal.
My grandma cheers and calls me on the phone every time she hears on the radio that they win a game. Grandma doesn’t call all that often :lol: :lol:


"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5872
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Jerome Souers to MSU-N?

Post by RickRund » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:01 pm

BStinsMSU wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:53 pm
RickRund wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:49 pm
BStinsMSU wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:50 pm
Good for Northern. Brand new stadium. Brand new AD I believe Hope they can start to at least hold their own.
Had no idea their record in the Frontier was so dismal.
My grandma cheers and calls me on the phone every time she hears on the radio that they win a game. Grandma doesn’t call all that often :lol: :lol:
At least they have Shakespeare :)


msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Post Reply