UM vs. EWU Predictions

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

UM vs. EWU Predictions

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:31 pm

I know UM is on a hot streak right now and Eastern seems to be limping a little bit, but I think this game will be interesting. If you watched that game earlier in the season, UM was up 21-10 early in the 3rd. Eastern figured something out and outscored the griz offense 24-0 the rest of the game. Yes there was a long kick return by Flowers that made it closer.

The griz live and die by the blitz, and Barriere figured it out. He got loose when they over-pursued and caused havoc. Eastern's offense has not looked great lately, but their defense has improved seems like. It's in Missoula which will count for something. If the griz get something going early and get the crowd really into it like they did against the Cats, they will probably have a good day. But I just think Eastern will weather it and EB will show why he spent most of the season as everybody's pick for the best offensive player in the country.

EWU - 27
umcc - 17

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: UM vs. EWU Predictions

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:16 pm

EWU 26
um 24

2 missed PATs for the eags. um scores twice on defense /special teams but comes up short.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:19 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:31 pm
I know UM is on a hot streak right now and Eastern seems to be limping a little bit, but I think this game will be interesting. If you watched that game earlier in the season, UM was up 21-10 early in the 3rd. Eastern figured something out and outscored the griz offense 24-0 the rest of the game. Yes there was a long kick return by Flowers that made it closer.

The griz live and die by the blitz, and Barriere figured it out. He got loose when they over-pursued and caused havoc. Eastern's offense has not looked great lately, but their defense has improved seems like. It's in Missoula which will count for something. If the griz get something going early and get the crowd really into it like they did against the Cats, they will probably have a good day. But I just think Eastern will weather it and EB will show why he spent most of the season as everybody's pick for the best offensive player in the country.

EWU - 27E
umcc - 17
Actually, EWU outscored them 24-7, after trailing 21-10. If I remember correctly, they got a TD on a Flowers KO return after one of EWU's TD's. But you still make a valid point, in that EWU completely dominated the game from about midway through the 3rd quarter on. EWU's deficit was largely the result of a few costly self-inflicted errors. Plus, Barriere started looking to run a lot more later in the game, and he was very effective in escaping UM"s pressure and ran for several big gains. EWU outgained UM by almost 200 yards in total offense. That game really shouldn't have been as close as it was. All that being said, I have to give UM a slight edge in the rematch. They're a better team than when they played EWU the first time, and playing at Wa-Griz this time is obviously a big advantage as well. I do think EWU got screwed by the selection committee. I think they definitely deserved to be seeded.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:29 pm

John K wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:19 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:

EWU - 27E
umcc - 17
Actually, EWU outscored them 24-7, after trailing 21-10. If I remember correctly, they got a TD on a Flowers KO return after one of EWU's TD's. But you still make a valid point, in that EWU completely dominated the game from about midway through the 3rd quarter on. EWU's deficit was largely the result of a few costly self-inflicted errors. Plus, Barriere started looking to run a lot more later in the game, and he was very effective in escaping UM"s pressure and ran for several big gains. EWU outgained UM by almost 200 yards in total offense. That game really shouldn't have been as close as it was. All that being said, I have to give UM a slight edge in the rematch. They're a better team than when they played EWU the first time, and playing at Wa-Griz this time is obviously a big advantage as well. I do think EWU got screwed by the selection committee. I think they definitely deserved to be seeded.
That's why I said they outscored the griz OFFENSE 24-0, then said Flowers got that kick return in the next sentence :wink:

I do agree the griz are better than they were then, but they're going to have to do something different defensively. MSU didn't have an answer for the blitz but Eastern does. The griz offense scored 21 in that game and I think that's going to be tough to do against Eastern now. I definitely would not be surprised to see the griz win this one, but I'm not sold that they're that much better.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:34 pm

EWU will pick up right where they left off. Once they figured out UM's defense, they blew them out. Unless UM's doing something a lot different, I don't see EWU scoring under 40.

EWU 45
UM 24

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:41 pm

I think this game will be determined based on whether or not UM's blitz gets home and contains barriere in the backfield. EWU had some success with keeping an extra back in as a protector last time, we'll see how both teams adjust.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:27 pm

Great quarterbacks eat blitzes alive. If Barriere is as good as people have been hyping him to be he’ll shred UM. I think UM could switch it up on D after watching the Eagles games vs MSU and Weber, and based on how their last game vs EWU went.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:15 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:27 pm
Great quarterbacks eat blitzes alive. If Barriere is as good as people have been hyping him to be he’ll shred UM. I think UM could switch it up on D after watching the Eagles games vs MSU and Weber, and based on how their last game vs EWU went.
You might be right, but I don’t think UM has a front four that’ll be overly effective without a blitz. And their LB’s are better in blitzing attack mode than in coverage. Hard to tell as it’s rare to see UM only rush 3 or 4.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:45 pm

UM 27
EWU20

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:12 pm

tdub wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:15 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
You might be right, but I don’t think UM has a front four that’ll be overly effective without a blitz. And their LB’s are better in blitzing attack mode than in coverage. Hard to tell as it’s rare to see UM only rush 3 or 4.
I have no idea. I haven't seen UM play this year or last. Not that it would make my statements any more meaningful. Just going off past experience. Perhaps UM can get back to doing what it did for the first 2.5 quarters. If so, they might roll.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:26 pm

27 - 20 EWU

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:59 am

tdub wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:15 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
This!

And what um likes to do is send 6 but drop a DL (#91) into coverage. If/When EB3 escapes, the DL cant close on him and he gets a first down if he cant find anybody to throw too. With that much pressure up front, the DBS are in man and struggle to maintain coverage when the play is extended.

on the other hand if um changes their tactic and doesn't apply pressure, Merrit is pretty good and running right at them.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:27 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:29 pm
John K wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:19 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:

EWU - 27E
umcc - 17
That's why I said they outscored the griz OFFENSE 24-0, then said Flowers got that kick return in the next sentence :wink:

I do agree the griz are better than they were then, but they're going to have to do something different defensively. MSU didn't have an answer for the blitz but Eastern does. The griz offense scored 21 in that game and I think that's going to be tough to do against Eastern now. I definitely would not be surprised to see the griz win this one, but I'm not sold that they're that much better.
My apologies. Obviously, I didn't read your post very carefully before i posted my comments. Sorry about that.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:06 pm

This is a game tailor made for a Bobby Hauck coached team. They already have to feel like they let the last one slip away. Throw in the trash talk by EWU players. Get a game Friday night in front of a packed home crowd.

Obviously football is a game of matchups. All the other stuff is extra. But Hauck has kids that will run into oncoming traffic for him. He’s a master of using things to his advantage and I see this as a perfect setting.

Think the griz win this one but that’s why they play the game!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:04 am

I think the Griz win this one by two scores. Eastern is not the same team they were the first time they played each other.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:41 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:06 pm
This is a game tailor made for a Bobby Hauck coached team. They already have to feel like they let the last one slip away. Throw in the trash talk by EWU players. Get a game Friday night in front of a packed home crowd.

Obviously football is a game of matchups. All the other stuff is extra. But Hauck has kids that will run into oncoming traffic for him. He’s a master of using things to his advantage and I see this as a perfect setting.

Think the griz win this one but that’s why they play the game!
As opposed to a game tailor made for a Bobby Hauck opponent, which would be in a neutral stadium. :wink:

I think if they feel they let the last one slip away, then they're in trouble. I think they got outcoached. EWU made the adjustments and UM couldn't counter. Almost all coaches have that 'oncoming traffic' 'using things to his advantage' ability, so that's a wash. EWU may talk trash, but they also have a lot of motivation due to feeling slighted by the committee, so that's also a wash. Unlike a lot of MSU's coaches in their first go-round at WGS, Best and his coaches have a lot of experience playing there, which decreases the homefield advantage.

Defensively, UM needs to stay focused on what it's doing and their coaches need to adjust to whatever it was EWU adjusted to in the first game. If UM gets off to a good start again, I think they win it handily. I have reservations about that, however, as EWU seemed to have taken complete control of the game midway through the third quarter. There was a lot of time for UM to adjust, but they didn't. That alone should give Griz fans pause.

Offensively, over the last 27:25 of the game, UM's offense scored 0 points and had just 140 yards of offense, which included 59 on its last drive. The defense got them the ball on the EWU 37 after an INT and they got five yards and missed FG. Humphrey threw two 2nd half INTs.

I think the big wild card is EWU's defense. They've shown glimpses of playing good defense. I think they just have it subconsciously stuck in the back of their minds that the offense is going to score a ton, but that might not be the case this time, since the game is in Missoula. Big crowds don't bother the opposing team's defense.

toM StUber

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:44 am

Wasn't EWU without some key players the first matchup? I remember griz fans were making excuses but EWU was short handed as well.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:00 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:44 am
Wasn't EWU without some key players the first matchup? I remember griz fans were making excuses but EWU was short handed as well.
Yes, Gavin Robertson(?) and a defensive tackle, whose name escapes me. I think EWU's backup RB was out. I know he came back against MSU, but didn't play much as I recall.

toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:31 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:41 am

I think if they feel they let the last one slip away, then they're in trouble. I think they got outcoached. EWU made the adjustments and UM couldn't counter. Almost all coaches have that 'oncoming traffic' 'using things to his advantage' ability, so that's a wash. EWU may talk trash, but they also have a lot of motivation due to feeling slighted by the committee, so that's also a wash. Unlike a lot of MSU's coaches in their first go-round at WGS, Best and his coaches have a lot of experience playing there, which decreases the homefield advantage.
I disagree with most of this. Although it’s all speculation so it’s not like I think you’re obviously wrong.

If UM was outcoached so bad the first time, I think they should feel even better. They were literally a ball off the fingertips from winning their last matchup. Despite their stout D giving up a lot of points and a ton of yards to receivers.

I completely disagree with your take on Hauck and what he gets out of players. He is brilliant when it comes to motivating his guys. Some coaches have that, many coaches don’t. This isn’t to say there aren’t great coaches out there who aren’t like Hauck, because obviously there are. But I know enough former players of his as well as a couple coaches who rave about the guy and his ability to use anything and everything to get his guys ready. I simply don’t think all players from all teams in college feel about their head coaches like the majority of griz players feel about Hauck. At least from what I’ve seen and been told.

I agree that things like trash talk and being snubbed for a seed are all extra stuff. But again, knowing what I know about Hauck, I cringe when I hear opposing players running their mouths before facing one of his teams. Perhaps I’m giving him too much credit here?

And while any experience in Washington-Griz is helpful, I will still never discredit their home field advantage. This isn’t to suggest they can’t lose there as obviously they have. But that place will be rocking Friday night. I saw it first hand last Saturday, and if the griz get momentum early and keep the fans in it, it will be a long night for the Eags.

Now I’m pissed at you because you just made me take 5 minutes out of my day to talk up Hauck and the griz. :sick:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:54 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:31 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:41 am

I disagree with most of this. Although it’s all speculation so it’s not like I think you’re obviously wrong.

If UM was outcoached so bad the first time, I think they should feel even better. They were literally a ball off the fingertips from winning their last matchup. Despite their stout D giving up a lot of points and a ton of yards to receivers.

I completely disagree with your take on Hauck and what he gets out of players. He is brilliant when it comes to motivating his guys. Some coaches have that, many coaches don’t. This isn’t to say there aren’t great coaches out there who aren’t like Hauck, because obviously there are. But I know enough former players of his as well as a couple coaches who rave about the guy and his ability to use anything and everything to get his guys ready. I simply don’t think all players from all teams in college feel about their head coaches like the majority of griz players feel about Hauck. At least from what I’ve seen and been told.

I agree that things like trash talk and being snubbed for a seed are all extra stuff. But again, knowing what I know about Hauck, I cringe when I hear opposing players running their mouths before facing one of his teams. Perhaps I’m giving him too much credit here?

And while any experience in Washington-Griz is helpful, I will still never discredit their home field advantage. This isn’t to suggest they can’t lose there as obviously they have. But that place will be rocking Friday night. I saw it first hand last Saturday, and if the griz get momentum early and keep the fans in it, it will be a long night for the Eags.

Now I’m pissed at you because you just made me take 5 minutes out of my day to talk up Hauck and the griz. :sick:
I've heard the same about Hauck from former players... that say he can be a total dick, but that he does know how to motivate players. I wonder how he effed that up so bad in Bozeman in 2019.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!