Wow, heck of a game

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Wow, heck of a game

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:52 pm

It was a smart play for the running back from Weber to go down rather than score a touchdown. It’s much better to have a one point lead and the ball then to give the ball back to Eastern with an 8 Point lead.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:12 pm

Weber could very well win out and be 7-4. If things fall in place they could still make the playoffs.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:35 am

Pretty good win for a Weber team that some were saying wasn’t a good team. I think they’re good enough to beat anyone, and while our win against them was ugly, it was a win against a pretty damn tough team.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:12 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:35 am
Pretty good win for a Weber team that some were saying wasn’t a good team. I think they’re good enough to beat anyone, and while our win against them was ugly, it was a win against a pretty damn tough team.
Try substituting "Idaho State" or "Illinois" for Weber because they pulled off great upsets.

Its a great win for Weber & they deserve all the props in the world for ending EWUs 20 game win streak on that God awful red turf. They are still a 3-4 team. Probably the best 3-4 team in the country...but still a 3-4 team.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:39 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:12 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:35 am
Try substituting "Idaho State" or "Illinois" for Weber because they pulled off great upsets.

Its a great win for Weber & they deserve all the props in the world for ending EWUs 20 game win streak on that God awful red turf. They are still a 3-4 team. Probably the best 3-4 team in the country...but still a 3-4 team.
Oh I understand. In the end you are what your record says you are but I’ve always been of the belief that it’s not black and white. I’ve seen teams I didn’t think were great that played themselves into a good record and teams that I thought were good with less than stellar records.

I still think Weber is a playoff team. They’re a good team in my eyes and I wasn’t surprised at all to see them win yesterday. Their defense is great.

I don’t know who Idaho state upset but I don’t think they are a good team so I’m not comfortable substituting Idaho state for Weber state at this time. Weber is MUCH better than Idaho state.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:39 pm

And while I don’t think a teams schedule is the end all be all of how good they are, Weber has had a hell of a schedule. Yes they are 3-4; but their losses were to FBS Utah, #2 James Madison, I think #12 Davis, and #9 Montana St. And now beat new #2 EWU. They shouldn’t lose another game and will be 7-4 with a 5 game win streak. I still see them as a strong playoff football team.

Crazy they haven’t won a game at home yet!

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:43 pm

Three fake punts that all resulted in first downs, unbelievable.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:52 pm

I predicted a Weber win, so no surprise here. MSU is the best team in the league to date. I’d rank Weber second, ewu third, SAC fourth, Davis fifth and UM sixth at this point.

Fully expect Weber win out and make the playoffs.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:29 pm

iaafan wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:52 pm
I predicted a Weber win, so no surprise here. MSU is the best team in the league to date. I’d rank Weber second, ewu third, SAC fourth, Davis fifth and UM sixth at this point.

I just can’t fathom how one would put a 3-4 Weber ahead of a 7-1 Davis, especially with the head to head.

Weber clearly moves up to #4 in my book, but no way do they jump Sac or Davis.

I think MSU & EWU are a tossup for #1 & 2 at this point…kind of depends on if you think the Eags 2 fumbles, 0-4 on 4th down D, and botched extra point are due to a bag game or if they are indicative of bigger problems.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:41 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:29 pm
iaafan wrote:

I just can’t fathom how one would put a 3-4 Weber ahead of a 7-1 Davis, especially with the head to head.

I think MSU & EWU are a tossup for #1 & 2 at this point…kind of depends on if you think the Eags 2 fumbles, 0-4 on 4th down D, and botched extra point are due to a bag game or if they are indicative of bigger problems.
Weber was down a ton of players vs Davis. At this point Weber is clearly the better team. I think they’d beat those handily right now. Still some games to play and things will probably change.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:17 pm

iaafan wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:41 pm
onceacat wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Weber was down a ton of players vs Davis. At this point Weber is clearly the better team. I think they’d beat those handily right now. Still some games to play and things will probably change.
I'd take that bet (regarding Davis). I didn't watch yesterday, but the Box Score looks like Weber got a ton of lucky breaks & did a bunch of things that they've been really bad at all year (like score points).

I'll keep an open mind down the stretch...if Weber's O can prove they can actually score points and the D can continue to generate turnovers, I'll be convinced. But I need to see them do that in more than one game. I think EWU wins that game 9 out of 10 times.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:36 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:17 pm
iaafan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I'd take that bet (regarding Davis). I didn't watch yesterday, but the Box Score looks like Weber got a ton of lucky breaks & did a bunch of things that they've been really bad at all year (like score points).

I'll keep an open mind down the stretch...if Weber's O can prove they can actually score points and the D can continue to generate turnovers, I'll be convinced. But I need to see them do that in more than one game. I think EWU wins that game 9 out of 10 times.
I did watch the game and Weber’s defense played outstanding. It wasn’t a series of lucky breaks only. They forced EWU into some poor decisions. Barriere was having trouble finding and open receiver, and then Weeb’s d line did a fantastic job of getting pressure and remained disciplined and Barriere couldn’t make plays with his legs.
Weeb’s of course caught a HUGE break on the missed PAT. Had that gone to OT, I think EWU wins. They had just fully flipped momentum when that happened. But to Weeb’s credit, they were pounding the ball in the 4th quarter with good success and earned the close-out of the game by getting a couple first downs. Weber earned that victory, no doubt. They didn’t luck their way into it.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:47 pm

Interesting play in that game. Weber #91 got flagged for a late hit where the player hit his head on the ground and was injury time out to go through concussion check. Very next play, ewu gets flagged for chop block on #91.
Payback?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:27 pm

tdub wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:36 pm
onceacat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I did watch the game and Weber’s defense played outstanding. It wasn’t a series of lucky breaks only. They forced EWU into some poor decisions. Barriere was having trouble finding and open receiver, and then Weeb’s d line did a fantastic job of getting pressure and remained disciplined and Barriere couldn’t make plays with his legs.
Weeb’s of course caught a HUGE break on the missed PAT. Had that gone to OT, I think EWU wins. They had just fully flipped momentum when that happened. But to Weeb’s credit, they were pounding the ball in the 4th quarter with good success and earned the close-out of the game by getting a couple first downs. Weber earned that victory, no doubt. They didn’t luck their way into it.
I watched the game as well. Easy to understand why MSU did not try to pass more against Weber. Their secondary is outstanding.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:32 pm

onceacat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
iaafan wrote:

You didn’t watch the game, but you still think that EWU wins 9 out of 10 times? Sheesh. Even the box score will tell you that EWU was up 35 - 21 at one point in the 4th quarter. I think you have attached yourself to this theory about Weber and are too stubborn to admit you might be wrong.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:53 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:32 pm
onceacat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
iaafan wrote:

You didn’t watch the game, but you still think that EWU wins 9 out of 10 times? Sheesh. Even the box score will tell you that EWU was up 35 - 21 at one point in the 4th quarter. I think you have attached yourself to this theory about Weber and are too stubborn to admit you might be wrong.
Yeah, I don't get that comment either. I just watched it. Both teams got a lot of breaks/unconventional plays. Two of EWU's scores were set up by turnovers. WSU had the gutsy fake punts. I thought they were fairly even. Good defense usually beats good offense and this was a good O vs. good D game if ever there was one. It was do or die for WSU, so EWU should've been ready for those fakes.

Other way: WSU was up 35-21, is what I think you meant.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:49 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:53 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:32 pm
onceacat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Yeah, I don't get that comment either. I just watched it. Both teams got a lot of breaks/unconventional plays. Two of EWU's scores were set up by turnovers. WSU had the gutsy fake punts. I thought they were fairly even. Good defense usually beats good offense and this was a good O vs. good D game if ever there was one. It was do or die for WSU, so EWU should've been ready for those fakes.

Other way: WSU was up 35-21, is what I think you meant.
True-I don’t like to admit I’m wrong. And if Weber wins out, sneaks into the playoffs, and wins a couple games (or the opposite…EWU loses a few & flames out in the playoffs) I’ll have to do so. But Weber’s 1-4 record against the Top 20 in their last 4 games makes me think differently.

But it’s a great win. I was 100% wrong thinking Weber wasn’t going to hang. They deserve all the credit in the world.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:39 am

It’s amazing Weber scored 35 points against what is easily the 2nd best defense in the league!

/sarcasm

Good example of why box score scouting is dumb.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:30 pm

onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:49 am

True-I don’t like to admit I’m wrong. And if Weber wins out, sneaks into the playoffs, and wins a couple games (or the opposite…EWU loses a few & flames out in the playoffs) I’ll have to do so. But Weber’s 1-4 record against the Top 20 in their last 4 games makes me think differently.

But it’s a great win. I was 100% wrong thinking Weber wasn’t going to hang. They deserve all the credit in the world.
Damn. Weber's better than I thought if they can get that many wins and losses in 4 games.

:lol: