Rolovich Terminated

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Rolovich Terminated

Post by Sohedges » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:01 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:33 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:51 am
Thanks. But I don’t know why the original poster thinks his racial background is important to the story.
Isn’t it obvious?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:45 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:19 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:26 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:14 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:58 pm
At the end of the day, the people who are getting fired for refusing the vax, will still be unvaxxed. Society gains nothing by firing them, in fact it'll be worse off in the middle of a labor shortage. Maybe ten to twenty percent of nurses, police and first responders, truck drivers, teachers, ​airline pilots, etc etc will be fired over this.

I wish our leaders would find a better way to encourage folks to get the vax than threatening to destroy their careers and livelihoods. A mandate (and forcing employers to enforce it for you) is the wrong way to go IMHO.
What do you think would be the best strategy for encouraging vaccination that hasn’t been tried. I’m still stumped that keeping your self and your family/friends from dying isn’t good enough.
Are the privacy rules surrounding medical treatment possibly having a dampening effect on telling the story? The hospital side of covid is not pretty. Our bonus daughter is a nurse in North Dakota, a low-tier vaxx rate state. (Bison fan so she wears a green MSU sweatshirt to compromise. :roll:) Covid, for many, is an ugly death. Ventilators are horrible. Families deny until grief-stricken, and in some cases guilt-stricken. Unproven treatments (see Montana AG Helena mess) are demanded by those who will not accept the vaccine as it’s an “unproven treatment.” ](*,) Anyway, nothing new here, but I wish the TV cameras could go into the hospitals for a live 24-hour real reality show. The Billings newspaper articles have been very good, but they don’t reach non-readers.
I’ve been picking up shifts on the weekends helping out in the ED & ICU. I’ve never experienced anything like it. I mean, I’m an outpatient sports PT. It feels like what I imagine a war zone med tent would be like. It’s awful. I’ve never seen so many people so incredibly sick. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
That’s awesome you’re making that sacrifice. Thank you! I’ve heard some crazy horror stories from the ED and the ICU.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:15 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:19 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:26 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:14 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:58 pm
At the end of the day, the people who are getting fired for refusing the vax, will still be unvaxxed. Society gains nothing by firing them, in fact it'll be worse off in the middle of a labor shortage. Maybe ten to twenty percent of nurses, police and first responders, truck drivers, teachers, ​airline pilots, etc etc will be fired over this.

I wish our leaders would find a better way to encourage folks to get the vax than threatening to destroy their careers and livelihoods. A mandate (and forcing employers to enforce it for you) is the wrong way to go IMHO.
What do you think would be the best strategy for encouraging vaccination that hasn’t been tried. I’m still stumped that keeping your self and your family/friends from dying isn’t good enough.
Are the privacy rules surrounding medical treatment possibly having a dampening effect on telling the story? The hospital side of covid is not pretty. Our bonus daughter is a nurse in North Dakota, a low-tier vaxx rate state. (Bison fan so she wears a green MSU sweatshirt to compromise. :roll:) Covid, for many, is an ugly death. Ventilators are horrible. Families deny until grief-stricken, and in some cases guilt-stricken. Unproven treatments (see Montana AG Helena mess) are demanded by those who will not accept the vaccine as it’s an “unproven treatment.” ](*,) Anyway, nothing new here, but I wish the TV cameras could go into the hospitals for a live 24-hour real reality show. The Billings newspaper articles have been very good, but they don’t reach non-readers.
I’ve been picking up shifts on the weekends helping out in the ED & ICU. I’ve never experienced anything like it. I mean, I’m an outpatient sports PT. It feels like what I imagine a war zone med tent would be like. It’s awful. I’ve never seen so many people so incredibly sick. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
Thank you. That’s what I was trying to portray, but I am very pleased you have stepped forward and given us a firsthand look. And that’s the images that I wish could be in front of the public constantly. I’ve had people just blow it off as “just another cold.” Well, so is a cold until it turns into bronchitis (me, 2018). I just reread what you wrote, and it reaffirmed my decision at my age to not make the drive to SUU today for volleyball and expose myself to a crowd, vaccinated or not. I was pretty shocked to have an ENT appointment in St. George this week and none of the medical staff was masked. Almost all the patients were. I don’t think I blame Washington State for requiring that the best practice in prevention be required. Our society demands “best practice” in lots of things including football coaching, so why not medical safety?

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:03 am

onceacat wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:01 pm

And every time an unvaccinated doctor or nurse quits, I literally cheer. Because none of us want doctors and nurses that criminally negligent caring for our loved ones.

If they don't believe in the science behind the vaccinations, what other rules are they ignoring behind our backs. Call it a silver lining.
I've read all your posts in this thread. Your attitude is disgusting.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:32 am

TIrwin24 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:03 am
onceacat wrote:

And every time an unvaccinated doctor or nurse quits, I literally cheer. Because none of us want doctors and nurses that criminally negligent caring for our loved ones.

If they don't believe in the science behind the vaccinations, what other rules are they ignoring behind our backs. Call it a silver lining.
I think he is just trying to provoke. He wouldn't even respond to questions about his subs. Just mean spirited.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:04 pm

allcat wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:32 am
TIrwin24 wrote:
onceacat wrote:

I think he is just trying to provoke. He wouldn't even respond to questions about his subs. Just mean spirited.
Not mean spirited. I just think that doctors & nurses who refuse to follow medical standards should be fired. If a doctor refused to sterilize instruments, id sure want them to be fired. It’s like when a drunk driver gets arrested, all the rest of us are safer as a result…literally every single person (other than that particular doctor) is better off.

Not trying to provoke either. If a Heath care “professional” is so willfully disregarding their patients health, they need to be fired for safety reasons. And, to be clear, 95% + of Heath care professional agree with me.

The subs that missed work were all unvaccinated.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:04 am

onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:04 pm
allcat wrote:
TIrwin24 wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Not mean spirited. I just think that doctors & nurses who refuse to follow medical standards should be fired. If a doctor refused to sterilize instruments, id sure want them to be fired. It’s like when a drunk driver gets arrested, all the rest of us are safer as a result…literally every single person (other than that particular doctor) is better off.

Not trying to provoke either. If a Heath care “professional” is so willfully disregarding their patients health, they need to be fired for safety reasons. And, to be clear, 95% + of Heath care professional agree with me.

Wow!. I didn’t realize that subs that call in sick must tell you whether they are vaccinated or not…. Or maybe it is on the job application?? Is that even legal? Seriously man! You are so driven by this political agenda, you are making stuff up now…. There is no way that all the subs that call in sick are unvaccinated. And to claim that you even have the tools to determine that is even more skeptical.

Have you really even thought about your viewpoint on terminating people because they don’t have the vaccine? You are complaining at the lack of subs; that you are now claiming are all unvaccinated; that you are also claiming should all be terminated. Won’t terminating these undivided just make the situation worse?

And seriously, there is a lack of people who want to work right now. That is due to all the benefits that the government continues to hand out. It has absolutely nothing to do with the vaccine - except maybe that the available workforce gets even smaller by terminating individuals.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:36 am

onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:04 pm
allcat wrote:
TIrwin24 wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Let's turn something upside down. If a woman got pregnant she would eventually miss work. If we mandate no pregnancy, we would fire her for not following the rules. Same principle. Would you stand for that?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:30 am

Alright, I've given this quite a bit of runway but I think it's time to just let the arguments about this to rest. Nobody is "convincing" anyone to change their mind here and at this point it is just rehashing the same things over and over again.

Rolovich is out, right or wrong, he is. He is going to fight the termination, so we'll see where that ends up and will be interesting. Also will be interesting to see both how WSU finishes out the year after this and who they look at to replace Rolovich.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:15 am

I found it interesting that Jack Rolovich completed 52.7% of passes with 14TDs and 11INT's during his senior year, which I remember as being hugely successful.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:11 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:15 am
I found it interesting that Jack Rolovich completed 52.7% of passes with 14TDs and 11INT's during his senior year, which I remember as being hugely successful.
Jack was a good dude, I worked with him for awhile. Had a great sense of humor.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:06 pm

Jack Rolovich has more playoff wins than Travis Lulay. #RelevantStat

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:38 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:04 am

And seriously, there is a lack of people who want to work right now. That is due to all the benefits that the government continues to hand out. It has absolutely nothing to do with the vaccine - except maybe that the available workforce gets even smaller by terminating individuals.
Montana stopped participating in the extra benefits in June. I'm skeptical that the shortage of workers in Montana can be attributed to the extra unemployment benefits now, in October.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:52 pm

catbooster wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:38 pm
Cataholic wrote:

Montana stopped participating in the extra benefits in June. I'm skeptical that the shortage of workers in Montana can be attributed to the extra unemployment benefits now, in October.
So I don't know if it's unemployment benefits or govt checks being sent out or what but how do you explain all the "help wanted" signs literally everywhere, and all the small businesses that have either shut down or scaled back their hours, restaurants scaling ack hours and limiting menus, terrible service, etc...?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:57 am

catatac wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:52 pm
catbooster wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:38 pm
Cataholic wrote:

So I don't know if it's unemployment benefits or govt checks being sent out or what but how do you explain all the "help wanted" signs literally everywhere, and all the small businesses that have either shut down or scaled back their hours, restaurants scaling ack hours and limiting menus, terrible service, etc...?
That’s a really good question. I’m not sure there’s one specific answer. And I sure don’t know all the reasons, but (per usual) I’m happy to add my speculations.

I think part of it is people who test positive and their close contacts are expected to quarantine for 10-14 days. Montana is still reporting 1,000+ Covid cases/day and Id imagine each of those cases has 5-10 close contacts.

I think another reason is that there are fewer HS and College kids working part time customer service jobs. On the flip side, I think Covid caused a lot of the older boomers to retire from the workforce.

Also, places like wal mart, McDonald’s, target, jacked up their wages, so I assume they pulled workers from lower wage mom/pop shops. Also, I know hospitals have been hiring people like crazy over the past few months just to keep up with the Covid surge…lots of entry level positions like schedulers, custodians, laundry, food service, etc.

I think the ability to telework remotely is also playing a part. Lots of really smart people in places like Bozeman and Missoula were working low paying service jobs so they could continue to live the Bozeman/Missoula lifestyle. I know a handful of recent grads who have started telework jobs in the past year. They can live in Bozeman, but work for a company out of Arizona/Texas/California.

And obviously the unemployment stimulus had an effect as well, but I’m not sure how big of a role that still plays.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:44 am

As a business owner I have my own thoughts based on my own experience. This obviously isn't the case for every single person not working right now, but something that I have noticed during these crazy times.

In a nutshell, people are most definitely working the system a bit, and they did while receiving benefits as well. Between my businesses I have had 4 employees that worked the system while getting benefits. Basically working but reporting less hours to the government or in some cases not reporting hours at all. A couple claimed they were let go due to covid, even though we never closed and in fact have been busier than ever. In talks with some friends that also run businesses, they are dealing with similar things.

Next, we have noticed that some people were actually very smart with their stimuluses and extra benefits. Especially those that were working and still received benefits. While some were pissing this money away for the last year, many were just tucking it away. I have several employees who are seeking less hours currently and others who are planning on not working all winter and just skiing. Hard to blame them for this. If they have the money in the bank, and are content with their savings, who wouldn't want to play outside instead of working?! I imagine there are a decent number of people who were able to put enough aside to hold off on working for a little while.

Finally, the biggest issue I have seen is people completely manipulating the unemployment system, and how skewed the system is as a whole. Many people only have to show unemployment they are applying for jobs to retain their benefits. It took me a while to figure this out. Every time we were hiring I'd receive 15-20 apps easily. But after reaching out and setting up interviews no one would ever reply. It was a red flag. Upon further review of the "resumes", they were a complete joke. I kid you not, one person actually sent me a menu from a pizza place as his resume!

Here's where the biggest issue is. After contacting unemployment myself, and explaining that I was getting bombarded with fake applications, and if they knew why, I learned a lot. The system is so overrun, that people can submit these apps, show unemployment they are in fact "trying to work", and their benefits continue. Obviously pissed, I asked how I could report these people. It completely falls on the lap of the business. For each claim I wanted to make on these frauds, it was 5-6 pages of paperwork that I had to fill out! I would be looking at hundreds of pages of paperwork every week, just to report crappy people to unemployment. And in these times when we're already understaffed and busier than ever, it just wasn't feasible. To make sense of that, I was literally considering hiring another bookkeeper just to follow up on these phony applicants. So I had to hire someone to show why it was that I couldn't hire anyone! Obviously not doing that, I had no choice but to just ignore the phony apps, knowing full well they were sending these to all of the businesses hiring, and sitting on unemployment.

Like I said, there are probably many reasons people aren't working. This is just my experience. But people got a little taste of making money sitting at home, and I believe many are doing whatever necessary to keep that going as long as they can.

It's a mess.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:44 am

Wow, that really sucks! I understand how red-tape-ish things can get, but you'd think it wouldn't take a whole lot to close that loop hole. For any and all business that are hiring, when they get an applicant that is not really interested in an interview (You can almost always tell), simply report that to the unemployment agency that the applicant did not truly apply. No unemployment benefits for that individual.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:58 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:44 am
As a business owner I have my own thoughts based on my own experience. This obviously isn't the case for every single person not working right now, but something that I have noticed during these crazy times.

In a nutshell, people are most definitely working the system a bit, and they did while receiving benefits as well. Between my businesses I have had 4 employees that worked the system while getting benefits. Basically working but reporting less hours to the government or in some cases not reporting hours at all. A couple claimed they were let go due to covid, even though we never closed and in fact have been busier than ever. In talks with some friends that also run businesses, they are dealing with similar things.

Next, we have noticed that some people were actually very smart with their stimuluses and extra benefits. Especially those that were working and still received benefits. While some were pissing this money away for the last year, many were just tucking it away. I have several employees who are seeking less hours currently and others who are planning on not working all winter and just skiing. Hard to blame them for this. If they have the money in the bank, and are content with their savings, who wouldn't want to play outside instead of working?! I imagine there are a decent number of people who were able to put enough aside to hold off on working for a little while.

Finally, the biggest issue I have seen is people completely manipulating the unemployment system, and how skewed the system is as a whole. Many people only have to show unemployment they are applying for jobs to retain their benefits. It took me a while to figure this out. Every time we were hiring I'd receive 15-20 apps easily. But after reaching out and setting up interviews no one would ever reply. It was a red flag. Upon further review of the "resumes", they were a complete joke. I kid you not, one person actually sent me a menu from a pizza place as his resume!

Here's where the biggest issue is. After contacting unemployment myself, and explaining that I was getting bombarded with fake applications, and if they knew why, I learned a lot. The system is so overrun, that people can submit these apps, show unemployment they are in fact "trying to work", and their benefits continue. Obviously pissed, I asked how I could report these people. It completely falls on the lap of the business. For each claim I wanted to make on these frauds, it was 5-6 pages of paperwork that I had to fill out! I would be looking at hundreds of pages of paperwork every week, just to report crappy people to unemployment. And in these times when we're already understaffed and busier than ever, it just wasn't feasible. To make sense of that, I was literally considering hiring another bookkeeper just to follow up on these phony applicants. So I had to hire someone to show why it was that I couldn't hire anyone! Obviously not doing that, I had no choice but to just ignore the phony apps, knowing full well they were sending these to all of the businesses hiring, and sitting on unemployment.

Like I said, there are probably many reasons people aren't working. This is just my experience. But people got a little taste of making money sitting at home, and I believe many are doing whatever necessary to keep that going as long as they can.

It's a mess.
It's ridiculous. I've heard pretty much the exact same story from several business owners. This kind of laziness and entitlement drives me nuts. On a large scale, it truly worries me for the future of our country, probably even more than a lot of the other stuff that has me worried right now. America has always been a place where people work hard in order to achieve their dreams. Laziness will be the downfall of this country. I can tolerate incompetence, because that can be improved with training and work. Laziness is a choice.

Why all this hasn't been automated electronically is beyond me. It's 2021 for the love of Pete. Making it this difficult for businesses to report people is clearly not going to work.

GO CATS GO!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:30 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:44 am

It's a mess.
Wow....thanks for educating.....that's absolutely insane.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:46 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:44 am
Wow, that really sucks! I understand how red-tape-ish things can get, but you'd think it wouldn't take a whole lot to close that loop hole. For any and all business that are hiring, when they get an applicant that is not really interested in an interview (You can almost always tell), simply report that to the unemployment agency that the applicant did not truly apply. No unemployment benefits for that individual.
This would be ideal and how we assumed it would work when we caught on. I had a stack of probably 20 applications when I was on the phone with unemployment. In a perfect world I could have just submitted these to them and it would flag the applicants in some way. Especially the very obvious ones where the resume was a couple lines long and in the one case, a restaurant menu. #-o

In several of the cases the applicant would go as far as setting up an interview. They would maintain communication right up until the time of interview, and I would never hear from them again. I imagine this is just them trying to get more "proof" of seeking employment.

It's a mess and just far too much for business owners to fix on their own. We're better off trashing the fakes, and continuing on until we find someone that is real and wants to work. Thus the frauds get to keep on trying.

I would assume that the unemployment department is very aware of this going on, so ideally going forward they would figure out a way to stop it. But it's been my personal experience for the last year and a half.