Rolovich Terminated

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Rolovich Terminated

Post by onceacat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:34 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:06 pm
HelenaCat wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:46 pm
My wife is a nurse. Knows quite a few people who have gotten COVID twice. It certainly happens.
I have heard of it happening, but I've never heard of a severe 2nd case of Covid. If anybody has any data on this that would be awesome!
As a general rule, that makes sense. Sort of how like severe cases of Covid for vaccinated people are pretty rare.

If you look at the data, the only vaccinated people who get severe cases are high risk (i.e. elderly and immunocompromised). Those are also the people highest risk for severe cases in the first place. So a really high percentage of people at high risk who got cover the first time already died. So you are looking a a pretty different risk profile in people who both survived the first round of Covid AND then got a subsequent infection.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:12 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:56 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:33 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:51 am
Thanks. But I don’t know why the original poster thinks his racial background is important to the story.
That is a great observation. I have no idea what the AD being Asian has to do with the whole issue. And Chapman is an outspoken liberal who is supposed to be pushing for equality. Yet one of his first observations is that the AD is Asian??? WTF?

This whole situation is politically driven.
You've both missed the forest for the trees. I posted this not because of Chapman but I thought what the AD had to say was poignant and informed the situation. Don't make this about politics...make it about common sense. Capeesh?

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:22 am

onceacat wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:34 pm
catatac wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
My wife is a nurse. Knows quite a few people who have gotten COVID twice. It certainly happens.
I have heard of it happening, but I've never heard of a severe 2nd case of Covid. If anybody has any data on this that would be awesome!
As a general rule, that makes sense. Sort of how like severe cases of Covid for vaccinated people are pretty rare.

If you look at the data, the only vaccinated people who get severe cases are high risk (i.e. elderly and immunocompromised). Those are also the people highest risk for severe cases in the first place. So a really high percentage of people at high risk who got cover the first time already died. So you are looking a a pretty different risk profile in people who both survived the first round of Covid AND then got a subsequent infection.
As it would happen, I tested positive for Covid this Monday so I am in the middle of my isolation and am working through the infection. I'm fully vaccinated and thought I had bronchitis but out of an abundance of caution decided to get a PCR.

The doctor and I had a conversation about what he was seeing here in Kazakhstan, which is exactly what is happening globally, that he said the ONLY people in the regional hospital in the ICU are unvaccinated Covid patients. He also said that the XRays of the lungs of those who are vaccinated and get Covid show signs of inflammation but are essentially clear. The xrays of the lungs of the unvaccinated essentially are all cloudy.

It turned out I was positive, but I'm pretty much on the mend, nothing worse than the first night of fever, coughing, and tiredness. WHAT I AM thrilled about is that I did the test, had been vaxxed and did not pass it along to anyone else!

If you're a doctor or nurse and unvaccinated, it is malpractice in my mind. Imagine going in for a procedure and contracting a lung disease that is potentially deadly because the doctor or nurse refuses to care for the patients well being at a basic level!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:44 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:22 am
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

As it would happen, I tested positive for Covid this Monday so I am in the middle of my isolation and am working through the infection. I'm fully vaccinated and thought I had bronchitis but out of an abundance of caution decided to get a PCR.

The doctor and I had a conversation about what he was seeing here in Kazakhstan, which is exactly what is happening globally, that he said the ONLY people in the regional hospital in the ICU are unvaccinated Covid patients. He also said that the XRays of the lungs of those who are vaccinated and get Covid show signs of inflammation but are essentially clear. The xrays of the lungs of the unvaccinated essentially are all cloudy.

It turned out I was positive, but I'm pretty much on the mend, nothing worse than the first night of fever, coughing, and tiredness. WHAT I AM thrilled about is that I did the test, had been vaxxed and did not pass it along to anyone else!

If you're a doctor or nurse and unvaccinated, it is malpractice in my mind. Imagine going in for a procedure and contracting a lung disease that is potentially deadly because the doctor or nurse refuses to care for the patients well being at a basic level!
The vax doesn't prevent transmission of covid, FYI.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:25 am

catsrback76 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

Out of curiosity catsrback, what federal agency do you work for or are contracted with? It is rather unique to be posting from places like Hungary, Croatia, Ethiopia, Kazakhstan, etc.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:55 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:25 am
catsrback76 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

Out of curiosity catsrback, what federal agency do you work for or are contracted with? It is rather unique to be posting from places like Hungary, Croatia, Ethiopia, Kazakhstan, etc.
My wife is an international school Principal, and I am now essentially retired from NGO work and faith based work over the years. My work now is building tourist rental homes in Croatia which we are planning on making our future home as well.

BTW: I did not mean to imply that being vaxxed stopped transmission of the virus, only that I was glad I didn't assume I didn't have it when I did and still got tested. Confirming the disease now I am isolated until I'm over it.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:05 am

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:44 am
catsrback76 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

They don't prevent transmission 100%, but they are significantly more effective in limiting transmission. Off the top of my head, I think Pfizer is like 60% (ish) effective in preventing transmission of Delta. It was more effective against the alpha variant.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:38 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:05 am
91catAlum wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

They don't prevent transmission 100%, but they are significantly more effective in limiting transmission. Off the top of my head, I think Pfizer is like 60% (ish) effective in preventing transmission of Delta. It was more effective against the alpha variant.
It would be interesting (and I fully realize impossible) to track and understand how transmission with the vaccine is the same/different than transmission without the vaccine.

I'm assuming (i'm not a doctor) that people without the vaccine experience symptoms quicker and harsher than people with the vaccine. Again the assumption would be those people would stay home or limit contact with the outside world after getting a test.

Again an assumption on my part but people with the vaccine will have limited (as far as i understand) symptoms in most cases and could very probably not even realize they have contracted covid - does that make them more likely to spread the disease? Does the transmission prevention of the vaccine counteract that and make it basically the same transmission percentage as the non-vaccinated?

Its all very interesting - there are a massive amount of people partially or fully vaccinated along with a massive amount of people that already contracted covid in the first go round (which all signs have lead to some sort of slight immunization help from already having covid) - where are all the cases still coming from?

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:21 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:38 am
wbtfg wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

It would be interesting (and I fully realize impossible) to track and understand how transmission with the vaccine is the same/different than transmission without the vaccine.

I'm assuming (i'm not a doctor) that people without the vaccine experience symptoms quicker and harsher than people with the vaccine. Again the assumption would be those people would stay home or limit contact with the outside world after getting a test.

Again an assumption on my part but people with the vaccine will have limited (as far as i understand) symptoms in most cases and could very probably not even realize they have contracted covid - does that make them more likely to spread the disease? Does the transmission prevention of the vaccine counteract that and make it basically the same transmission percentage as the non-vaccinated?

Its all very interesting - there are a massive amount of people partially or fully vaccinated along with a massive amount of people that already contracted covid in the first go round (which all signs have lead to some sort of slight immunization help from already having covid) - where are all the cases still coming from?
It's all wild.

I got covid in November almost a year ago. Got both doses of the vaccine late spring, early summer; don't recall the exact dates. Got covid again a month ago. #-o

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:07 am

catsrback76 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

I hope you are on the mend and getting healthy. However, I will take issue with your last paragraph. Those same people you are calling out for malpractice are the same people that were considered heroes a couple months. They were on the front lines and battled an unknown disease placing their own safety behind others safety. I think they have earned the right to make a choice.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:29 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:21 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

It's all wild.

I got covid in November almost a year ago. Got both doses of the vaccine late spring, early summer; don't recall the exact dates. Got covid again a month ago. #-o
Geez... this is all insane. How was your second case? More mild than the first I hope? I have a buddy that was hesitant to get the vax, got talked into getting it, then got COVID. Probably coincidental but geez.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:45 am

I got the vaccine then got covid. I personally believe my case was mild because I had the vaccine. No one seems to know specifically, it ends up coming down to who you trust. Hating on the unvaxed only hurts you. You can also blame them for inflation, why not?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:26 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:14 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:58 pm
At the end of the day, the people who are getting fired for refusing the vax, will still be unvaxxed. Society gains nothing by firing them, in fact it'll be worse off in the middle of a labor shortage. Maybe ten to twenty percent of nurses, police and first responders, truck drivers, teachers, ​airline pilots, etc etc will be fired over this.

I wish our leaders would find a better way to encourage folks to get the vax than threatening to destroy their careers and livelihoods. A mandate (and forcing employers to enforce it for you) is the wrong way to go IMHO.
What do you think would be the best strategy for encouraging vaccination that hasn’t been tried. I’m still stumped that keeping your self and your family/friends from dying isn’t good enough.
Are the privacy rules surrounding medical treatment possibly having a dampening effect on telling the story? The hospital side of covid is not pretty. Our bonus daughter is a nurse in North Dakota, a low-tier vaxx rate state. (Bison fan so she wears a green MSU sweatshirt to compromise. :roll:) Covid, for many, is an ugly death. Ventilators are horrible. Families deny until grief-stricken, and in some cases guilt-stricken. Unproven treatments (see Montana AG Helena mess) are demanded by those who will not accept the vaccine as it’s an “unproven treatment.” ](*,) Anyway, nothing new here, but I wish the TV cameras could go into the hospitals for a live 24-hour real reality show. The Billings newspaper articles have been very good, but they don’t reach non-readers.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:27 pm

91catAlum wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

I’ve heard some absolutely shockingly stupid things on this thread, but that 100% takes the cake.

That’s like saying seat belts don’t prevent deaths in car crashes. ](*,)

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:29 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:26 pm
wbtfg wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
At the end of the day, the people who are getting fired for refusing the vax, will still be unvaxxed. Society gains nothing by firing them, in fact it'll be worse off in the middle of a labor shortage. Maybe ten to twenty percent of nurses, police and first responders, truck drivers, teachers, ​airline pilots, etc etc will be fired over this.

I wish our leaders would find a better way to encourage folks to get the vax than threatening to destroy their careers and livelihoods. A mandate (and forcing employers to enforce it for you) is the wrong way to go IMHO.
What do you think would be the best strategy for encouraging vaccination that hasn’t been tried. I’m still stumped that keeping your self and your family/friends from dying isn’t good enough.
Are the privacy rules surrounding medical treatment possibly having a dampening effect on telling the story? The hospital side of covid is not pretty. Our bonus daughter is a nurse in North Dakota, a low-tier vaxx rate state. (Bison fan so she wears a green MSU sweatshirt to compromise. :roll:) Covid, for many, is an ugly death. Ventilators are horrible. Families deny until grief-stricken, and in some cases guilt-stricken. Unproven treatments (see Montana AG Helena mess) are demanded by those who will not accept the vaccine as it’s an “unproven treatment.” ](*,) Anyway, nothing new here, but I wish the TV cameras could go into the hospitals for a live 24-hour real reality show. The Billings newspaper articles have been very good, but they don’t reach non-readers.
Billings hospitals have been turning people away because they are over capacity on and off since January.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:17 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:29 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:21 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

It's all wild.

Geez... this is all insane. How was your second case? More mild than the first I hope? I have a buddy that was hesitant to get the vax, got talked into getting it, then got COVID. Probably coincidental but geez.
Overall more mild. But the cough is still terrible and that was my big issue the first time too. As I type this I still have coughing spells. First time around I was down for the count for over a week though. This last time I had the same energy for the most part, just a lot of coughing. :-k

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:57 pm

onceacat wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:29 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Billings hospitals have been turning people away because they are over capacity on and off since January.
Over capacity or understaffed.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:09 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:57 pm
onceacat wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:29 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Over capacity or understaffed.
Same thing. If you don’t have staff, you are very capacity. All the culture warriors have been forcing doctors & nurses out of the profession all year, so staffing is obviously a concern.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:19 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I’ve been picking up shifts on the weekends helping out in the ED & ICU. I’ve never experienced anything like it. I mean, I’m an outpatient sports PT. It feels like what I imagine a war zone med tent would be like. It’s awful. I’ve never seen so many people so incredibly sick. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

GO CATS GO!!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:38 am

onceacat wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:27 pm
91catAlum wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

I’ve heard some absolutely shockingly stupid things on this thread, but that 100% takes the cake.

That’s like saying seat belts don’t prevent deaths in car crashes. ](*,)
That's a weird thing to say. Sorry that facts sound stupid to you, sir.

Accusing unvaxxed doctors and nurses of malpractice was very divisive, so I responded to that post. So try to keep what I said in its context please.
Front line workers dealt with this pandemic for a year without a vax, and they are critical in this fight. The last thing we need is to be firing them.

And I'm getting tired of hearing all the excuses for destroying people's careers and livelihoods because they didn't get the vax. Find a better way to do this. Make them get daily or weekly covid tests before you allow them to work, whatever. But don't ruin their lives, and don't make the labor shortage worse than it already is. It's really not that difficult to understand the bad side of this mandate.

Anyway, we obviously see this differently so let's agree to disagree on this one. It's GameDay, Go Cats!