Dixie State rebrand

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:29 pm

I don't believe in canceling everything because somebody might get their feelers hurt. I don't believe in tearing down statues of people who were simply leaders at their time, doing the best they could for what they believed was right, even if we disagree now. I believe we should acknowledge our history. I don't, however, believe every piece of history needs to be celebrated though. Don't ignore the fact that the civil war happened. I don't believe a person is being overly sensitive to think that the confederate states fought for something that is deeply offensive to them. I personally don't even think a confederate flag is offensive, because I don't think everybody means offense by it. But I won't use it because I believe it is offensive to people. And because of that, I'm not going to celebrate it as my school's symbol (if I'm a Dixie St alum or prospective student).

I'd imagine if there was a school that had some sort of Al Quaeda symbol as their logo/mascot, we might not have as many people saying "I mean it's a part of our history, deal with it". I know that's not an apples to apples comparison, but I think you could make the argument pretty easily that both of those groups (Confederates and Al Quaeda) have blood on their hands in regards to some pretty egregious human rights violations.

WSUWILDCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:58 pm

oedipuss wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:45 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:10 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:00 am
I've had several responses typed up, but I think I'll just leave it at this. Dixie State is an aspiring, growing university and for the last several decades they've been slowly getting rid of their ties to the Old South. They stopped calling their yearbook the Confederate sometime in the 90s, probably around the same time they dropped the Confederate flag from school use, and they dropped their mascot and changed their nickname in the early 2000s. They realize they have a public perception problem and are smartly taking steps to correct it.
This is obviously a business move more or less. Surprised that someone compared this to Nazism before capitalism. :?
U-Tech sounds like a great re-brand. I really think Portland State missed the boat years ago when they could have renamed themselves Oregon Polytechnic and gone by "The OP". Weber State should also really look into a rebrand as they are now the only state school in D1 without Utah in their name. City-state university names are pretty bad for the most part - but county state names are just stupid.

I beg to differ. Weber State University is and always will be an awesome College name. It's who we are.

As for the Dixie State rebrand it's stupid. And that's all Im gonna say on that.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:04 pm

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:58 pm
oedipuss wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
I've had several responses typed up, but I think I'll just leave it at this. Dixie State is an aspiring, growing university and for the last several decades they've been slowly getting rid of their ties to the Old South. They stopped calling their yearbook the Confederate sometime in the 90s, probably around the same time they dropped the Confederate flag from school use, and they dropped their mascot and changed their nickname in the early 2000s. They realize they have a public perception problem and are smartly taking steps to correct it.
This is obviously a business move more or less. Surprised that someone compared this to Nazism before capitalism. :?
U-Tech sounds like a great re-brand. I really think Portland State missed the boat years ago when they could have renamed themselves Oregon Polytechnic and gone by "The OP". Weber State should also really look into a rebrand as they are now the only state school in D1 without Utah in their name. City-state university names are pretty bad for the most part - but county state names are just stupid.

I beg to differ. Weber State University is and always will be an awesome College name. It's who we are.

As for the Dixie State rebrand it's stupid. And that's all Im gonna say on that.
That would actually be an interesting trivia question. Name the D-1 public universities that don't include the name of their city or state.

Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin (Do these count as the colleges aren't in Houston or Austin, Tx.?)

**Edit to add Alcorn St.**

Military Academies don't count.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:07 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:04 pm
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
oedipuss wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

That would actually be an interesting trivia question. Name the D-1 public universities that don't include the name of their city or state.

Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin (Do these count as the colleges aren't in Houston or Austin, Tx.?)

Yale, Creighton and Drake.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:18 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:07 pm
wbtfg wrote:
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
oedipuss wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I think those are all private

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:32 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:18 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:07 pm
wbtfg wrote:
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
oedipuss wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I think those are all private
Sorry. I was just thinking of D1 schools. I was curious so did a little digging for public schools. Not too many but Rutgers, Austin Peay, Ball State, James Madison, Lamar, Marshall, Mcneese, Nichols are a couple. Most are named after politicians, educators or founders.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:51 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:29 pm
Don't ignore the fact that the civil war happened.
It was the War of Northern Aggression. Several states seceded from the Union because they were being treated like colonies of the north. The south paid 87% of the taxes(tariffs)which the north used almost exclusively to benefit the north, and despite attempts by the south to get equality in taxation and expenditures, the north dominated Congress refused. When the south seceded and implemented a tariff 1/10th of that imposed by northern interests, the north saw its revenue source dry up, as Europe would use southern ports instead of Northern ports. The north then re-inforced and blockaded Ft. Sumter. The south was forced to fight. The south just wanted out of a bad marriage, and go their own way, not to take over the Union.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:50 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:51 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
It was the War of Northern Aggression. Several states seceded from the Union because they were being treated like colonies of the north. The south paid 87% of the taxes(tariffs)which the north used almost exclusively to benefit the north, and despite attempts by the south to get equality in taxation and expenditures, the north dominated Congress refused. When the south seceded and implemented a tariff 1/10th of that imposed by northern interests, the north saw its revenue source dry up, as Europe would use southern ports instead of Northern ports. The north then re-inforced and blockaded Ft. Sumter. The south was forced to fight. The south just wanted out of a bad marriage, and go their own way, not to take over the Union.
Ah yes, the old "the south just wanted equality" argument.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:29 pm

Read.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:17 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:50 pm
3-7-77 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It was almost like the north was enslaving the south.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:00 am

oedipuss wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

There already is an Oregon Tech in Klamath Falls.

Oregon’s Polytechnic University

Oregon Tech offers innovative, professionally-focused undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the areas of engineering, health, business, technology, and applied arts and sciences. To foster student and graduate success, the university provides a hands-on, project-based learning environment and emphasizes innovation, scholarship, and applied research.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:50 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:17 am
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:50 pm
3-7-77 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It was almost like the north was enslaving the south.
Oh, the irony.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:00 pm

Dixie State doesn't seem to be afraid to schedule some tough football games: https://dixiestateathletics.com/sports/ ... l/schedule

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:53 pm

catbooster wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:00 pm
Dixie State doesn't seem to be afraid to schedule some tough football games: https://dixiestateathletics.com/sports/ ... l/schedule
Might as well since they can't make the playoffs for awhile. They have a small conference at least for the 22 and 23 seasons as well.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:34 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:53 pm
catbooster wrote:
Might as well since they can't make the playoffs for awhile. They have a small conference at least for the 22 and 23 seasons as well.
Are these payout games or home for home games?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:13 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:34 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:53 pm
catbooster wrote:
Are these payout games or home for home games?
Most are payouts I believe. Weber and Sac State are a home and home but I'm sure similar to our games with them they're still getting paid well to go to both places.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:07 am

I don't think I've seen a post on here where where every single sentence is a new and interesting historical inaccuracy! I'd be impressed, if I wasn't appalled.
3-7-77 wrote:
It was the War of Northern Aggression.
The South fired the first shots, so no.
3-7-77 wrote:
Several states seceded from the Union because they were being treated like colonies of the north.
Several states seceded because of slavery. Don't believe them? Ask them!

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/prim ... ing-states
3-7-77 wrote:
The south paid 87% of the taxes(tariffs)which the north used almost exclusively to benefit the north, and despite attempts by the south to get equality in taxation and expenditures, the north dominated Congress refused.
New York alone paid the majority of Federal tariffs in the year of 1859-60. New York, in case you're wondering, is a Northern port. If New York alone paid 63.5% of the tariffs, the South couldn't possibly have paid 87.5%.

Oh, and #2 was Boston. Also Northern.
3-7-77 wrote:
When the south seceded and implemented a tariff 1/10th of that imposed by northern interests, the north saw its revenue source dry up, as Europe would use southern ports instead of Northern ports.
The only port (singular) in the South that did notable import-export business was New Orleans. And seeing as the North had it blockaded for most of the war, what you're saying happened can't have happened.
3-7-77 wrote:
The north then re-inforced and blockaded Ft. Sumter.
Why would the North blockade their own position? That makes no sense. It was the South that blockaded Ft Sumpter.
3-7-77 wrote:
The south was forced to fight.
Quite the opposite. After seceding, Southern states went on a campaign of seizing federal forts and armories. The South also fired the first shots at Ft Sumpter. It was the North that was forced to fight.
3-7-77 wrote:
The south just wanted out of a bad marriage, and go their own way, not to take over the Union.
The South wanted to create a country where no law against slavery could be made. They also wanted to expand slavery by taking new territories.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Constitu ... of_America

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:49 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:07 am
I don't think I've seen a post on here where where every single sentence is a new and interesting historical inaccuracy! I'd be impressed, if I wasn't appalled.
3-7-77 wrote:
It was the War of Northern Aggression.
The South fired the first shots, so no.
3-7-77 wrote:
Several states seceded from the Union because they were being treated like colonies of the north.
Several states seceded because of slavery. Don't believe them? Ask them!

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/prim ... ing-states
3-7-77 wrote:
The south paid 87% of the taxes(tariffs)which the north used almost exclusively to benefit the north, and despite attempts by the south to get equality in taxation and expenditures, the north dominated Congress refused.
New York alone paid the majority of Federal tariffs in the year of 1859-60. New York, in case you're wondering, is a Northern port. If New York alone paid 63.5% of the tariffs, the South couldn't possibly have paid 87.5%.

Oh, and #2 was Boston. Also Northern.
3-7-77 wrote:
When the south seceded and implemented a tariff 1/10th of that imposed by northern interests, the north saw its revenue source dry up, as Europe would use southern ports instead of Northern ports.
The only port (singular) in the South that did notable import-export business was New Orleans. And seeing as the North had it blockaded for most of the war, what you're saying happened can't have happened.
3-7-77 wrote:
The north then re-inforced and blockaded Ft. Sumter.
Why would the North blockade their own position? That makes no sense. It was the South that blockaded Ft Sumpter.
3-7-77 wrote:
The south was forced to fight.
Quite the opposite. After seceding, Southern states went on a campaign of seizing federal forts and armories. The South also fired the first shots at Ft Sumpter. It was the North that was forced to fight.
3-7-77 wrote:
The south just wanted out of a bad marriage, and go their own way, not to take over the Union.
The South wanted to create a country where no law against slavery could be made. They also wanted to expand slavery by taking new territories.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Constitu ... of_America
At the risk of beating a dead horse, part of the “bad marriage” was that the South insisted on an unrestricted right to send goon squads to northern states to RE-enslave freed Blacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugitive_ ... ct_of_1850

The South also insisted that slavery be expanded into new territories, using violence to achieve that goal even over the objection of the locals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeding_Kansas

No wonder a state college in Utah is trying to rebrand to not be associated with these people.