Dixie State rebrand

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired

Re: Dixie State rebrand

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:29 pm

I don't believe in canceling everything because somebody might get their feelers hurt. I don't believe in tearing down statues of people who were simply leaders at their time, doing the best they could for what they believed was right, even if we disagree now. I believe we should acknowledge our history. I don't, however, believe every piece of history needs to be celebrated though. Don't ignore the fact that the civil war happened. I don't believe a person is being overly sensitive to think that the confederate states fought for something that is deeply offensive to them. I personally don't even think a confederate flag is offensive, because I don't think everybody means offense by it. But I won't use it because I believe it is offensive to people. And because of that, I'm not going to celebrate it as my school's symbol (if I'm a Dixie St alum or prospective student).

I'd imagine if there was a school that had some sort of Al Quaeda symbol as their logo/mascot, we might not have as many people saying "I mean it's a part of our history, deal with it". I know that's not an apples to apples comparison, but I think you could make the argument pretty easily that both of those groups (Confederates and Al Quaeda) have blood on their hands in regards to some pretty egregious human rights violations.