FCS Championship

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

FCS Championship

Post by Cataholic » Thu May 13, 2021 9:12 am

South Dakota State vs Sam Houston - This Saturday

Any thoughts? It appears that SDSU is a dual threat QB. I haven’t watched him play, but his stats don’t blow me away. 175 passing per game and 63 rushing. Leading RB averages 90 yards per game. Are they built on defense?

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: FCS Championship

Post by Montanabob » Thu May 13, 2021 9:23 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:12 am

Any thoughts? It appears that SDSU is a dual threat QB. I haven’t watched him play, but his stats don’t blow me away. 175 passing per game and 63 rushing. Leading RB averages 90 yards per game. Are they built on defense?
What you are saying is that is two players account for 328 yards a game. That is a good start.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu May 13, 2021 10:49 am

Montanabob wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:23 am
Cataholic wrote:

What you are saying is that is two players account for 328 yards a game. That is a good start.
I haven’t checked, but I bet that our starting QB and RB over the past years had similar stats.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu May 13, 2021 10:57 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:49 am
Montanabob wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I haven’t checked, but I bet that our starting QB and RB over the past years had similar stats.
That is better than some of the BSC teams total offense production in a game.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu May 13, 2021 11:04 am

Montanabob wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:57 am
Cataholic wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Do you see any of those other BSC teams playing in Frisco this week? That is my point. We heavily criticized our offensive production when it seems to have been sufficient for SDSU to get to Frisco.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri May 14, 2021 12:59 am

Montanabob wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:57 am
Cataholic wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Those players are averaging those numbers against pretty good MVFC defenses though. Not the Big Sky where only Weber, MSU, and UM have defenses...ok, I joke, but only a little.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon May 17, 2021 9:51 am

Gronowski was the MVFC player of the year, so I'd say he was pretty good. They had a 2 headed monster in the backfield as well. And they were definitely built on D. It didn't help them yesterday that Gronowski got hurt the 1st drive of the game. That right there is why the spring season was dumb, especially if he can't play in the fall.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 17, 2021 12:13 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:51 am
Gronowski was the MVFC player of the year, so I'd say he was pretty good. They had a 2 headed monster in the backfield as well. And they were definitely built on D. It didn't help them yesterday that Gronowski got hurt the 1st drive of the game. That right there is why the spring season was dumb, especially if he can't play in the fall.
I keep hearing this spring season was dumb, but didn’t it make sense for SDSU? They were playing in the FCS national championship on a national stage. It might have made sense for MSU to not play without any indoor facilities, but it seems to have been a very good decision for some teams like SDSU and Sam Houston.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon May 17, 2021 12:43 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
I keep hearing this spring season was dumb, but didn’t it make sense for SDSU? They were playing in the FCS national championship on a national stage. It might have made sense for MSU to not play without any indoor facilities, but it seems to have been a very good decision for some teams like SDSU and Sam Houston.
SDSUs award winning QB got hurt on May 16th in the championship game, which they lost. In a season everyone but FCS fans were saying "there is football being played eight now?" If SDSU finds out this week Gronowski is going to be out for an extended period of time, then yeah I'd say they would also agree it was stupid. Nobody should discredited SHSUs title. They went through 3 perennial powers to win, but nobody outside the FCS cares, or even knows about that.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 17, 2021 1:50 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:43 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
SDSUs award winning QB got hurt on May 16th in the championship game, which they lost. In a season everyone but FCS fans were saying "there is football being played eight now?" If SDSU finds out this week Gronowski is going to be out for an extended period of time, then yeah I'd say they would also agree it was stupid. Nobody should discredited SHSUs title. They went through 3 perennial powers to win, but nobody outside the FCS cares, or even knows about that.
I will respectfully disagree. The gamble for both of these schools paid off. Players get hurt during football. The injury could have happened in their first game in September. These teams made it to the national championship game with nationwide TV coverage when no other football was being played. Both schools have or are developing good facilities and this will elevate their status on the FCS level. And the national TV coverage was on multiple weekends versus just the title game which has happened in the past during the fall season.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon May 17, 2021 3:27 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:50 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
I will respectfully disagree. The gamble for both of these schools paid off. Players get hurt during football. The injury could have happened in their first game in September. These teams made it to the national championship game with nationwide TV coverage when no other football was being played. Both schools have or are developing good facilities and this will elevate their status on the FCS level. And the national TV coverage was on multiple weekends versus just the title game which has happened in the past during the fall season.
Sam Herder has the viewership numbers posted for the 2019 playoffs and the 2021 spring playoffs. Less viewers this spring than the fall of 2019. And NDSU had the lowest viewership ever for a nationally televised game in their quarterfinal against SHSU.

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zon ... %20viewers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/herosports ... -bzbz/amp/

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 17, 2021 7:00 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:27 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sam Herder has the viewership numbers posted for the 2019 playoffs and the 2021 spring playoffs. Less viewers this spring than the fall of 2019. And NDSU had the lowest viewership ever for a nationally televised game in their quarterfinal against SHSU.

Sorry, but I am afraid you are missing my point. I did not say that the Spring season was better than the Fall Season. Comparing viewership figures from 2021 to 2019 does not make any sense (although the semifinal games viewership appeared similar and there were more FCS games on national television this spring than a regular fall season). My point is that the gamble to play for SDSU and Sam Houston paid off. The accolades and exposure by playing for the national title will look good on their marketing material and will generate buzz (and money) with alumni. Playing in the spring season definitely paid off for these programs.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon May 17, 2021 8:08 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:00 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Sorry, but I am afraid you are missing my point. I did not say that the Spring season was better than the Fall Season. Comparing viewership figures from 2021 to 2019 does not make any sense (although the semifinal games viewership appeared similar and there were more FCS games on national television this spring than a regular fall season). My point is that the gamble to play for SDSU and Sam Houston paid off. The accolades and exposure by playing for the national title will look good on their marketing material and will generate buzz (and money) with alumni. Playing in the spring season definitely paid off for these programs.
I wonder how the Southland feels about losing their 4 best teams.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon May 17, 2021 9:04 pm

Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

What extra exposure did they get? That's where you have me confused. There were still nobody but FCS fans watching any of these games. Everyone else cared more about the FBS spring games and the draft. Just because they weren't playing when the FBS was playing, that doesn't mean they got more exposure.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 17, 2021 11:13 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:04 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

What extra exposure did they get? That's where you have me confused. There were still nobody but FCS fans watching any of these games. Everyone else cared more about the FBS spring games and the draft. Just because they weren't playing when the FBS was playing, that doesn't mean they got more exposure.
When is the last time that SDSU or Sam Houston had 500,000 viewers with a national audience? Probably never for SDSU. This was clearly a good decision for these TWO schools.

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PortlandCat90 » Wed May 19, 2021 10:00 am

I agree with Cataholic - the exposure comes from telling recruits "we played in the National Championship while others were playing with themselves" (pun intended and please don't ban me). It also stems from the fact that SHSU has 79 degrees today and I am hearing possible snow showers in Bozeman Thursday? They can get out and have full practices while the Cats would not been able to have decent practices back during the spring season.

I didn't realize this but how does South Dakota State have a $32 million indoor practice facility that is touted as the largest in D1? Surprised the hell outta me.

https://gojacks.com/documents/2016/3/24 ... df?id=4069

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed May 19, 2021 9:19 pm

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:00 am
I agree with Cataholic - the exposure comes from telling recruits "we played in the National Championship while others were playing with themselves" (pun intended and please don't ban me). It also stems from the fact that SHSU has 79 degrees today and I am hearing possible snow showers in Bozeman Thursday? They can get out and have full practices while the Cats would not been able to have decent practices back during the spring season.

I didn't realize this but how does South Dakota State have a $32 million indoor practice facility that is touted as the largest in D1? Surprised the hell outta me.

I toured that facility when I was at the game a few years ago. All their facilities are very nice. Stadium, Indoor Practice Facility, Basketball Arena. Brookings is in the middle of nowhere and they get a lot of money.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PortlandCat90 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:31 am

gtapp wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:19 pm
PortlandCat90 wrote:

I toured that facility when I was at the game a few years ago. All their facilities are very nice. Stadium, Indoor Practice Facility, Basketball Arena. Brookings is in the middle of nowhere and they get a lot of money.
Nice. Just quickly found this: Sanford Health provided $10 million and anonymous donors gave $8 million. That's a good start to a $30 million campaign.

"As part of the partnership, Sanford Health will become the exclusive provider of sports medicine services for Jackrabbit Athletics for the next 10 years, offering board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons and primary care physicians, and experts with the National Institute for Athletic Health & Performance at Sanford Health."

https://gojacks.com/news/2012/8/3/205564186.aspx

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu May 20, 2021 8:50 am

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:31 am
gtapp wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:19 pm
PortlandCat90 wrote:

Nice. Just quickly found this: Sanford Health provided $10 million and anonymous donors gave $8 million. That's a good start to a $30 million campaign.

"As part of the partnership, Sanford Health will become the exclusive provider of sports medicine services for Jackrabbit Athletics for the next 10 years, offering board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons and primary care physicians, and experts with the National Institute for Athletic Health & Performance at Sanford Health."

https://gojacks.com/news/2012/8/3/205564186.aspx
It just takes one big donor to transform a program. We have been able to gradually grow with good leadership and a committed base of donors, but we seem to be missing that one big donor. Can you imagine where the Griz would be today if they never had Denny Washington. Take a look a Oklahoma State and T Boone Pickens. Does anybody know if MSU is cultivating the relationship with ConAgra? That seems to be a great match given the Bozeman connection and our Agricultural school as well.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu May 20, 2021 3:14 pm

There is a LOT of home grown money in South Dakota. Not to mention the two major healthcare systems (Sanford and Avera) are very philanthropic and continually one up each other.