John Chaney's Goons

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

John Chaney's Goons

Post by mslacat » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:59 am

This has been an on going topic on the sports radio talk shows for a couple of day's now we have found out that one of the players fouled has a broken arm and is out for the rest of the season. John Chaney has suspended himself for one game is that enough? What about the kid who Chaney sent out to foul? Would you let your son play for Chaney. This is one of the most terrible things to happen to college basketball this year!?

Story:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1999175

Cat Pride
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat Pride » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:12 am

As a minimum Chaney should be suspended for as long as that St. Joe kid is out with the broken arm. Same for the kid who fouled him.

If this was Bob Knight, I assume he'd be fired already, same goes for a young up and coming coach.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:19 am

My opinion is that Chaney should be fired. Period
The player who fouled the St Joes player I actually have some compation for. He was asked to go out and "commit a hard foul" I do not think he ment to break an arm. he is a 19-20 year old trying to make a team, you know he has to feel terrible to labled a goon and in the middle of this!

Cat Pride
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat Pride » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:23 am

mslacat wrote:My opinion is that Chaney should be fired. Period
The player who fouled the St Joes player I actually have some compation for. He was asked to go out and "commit a hard foul" I do not think he ment to break an arm. he is a 19-20 year old trying to make a team, you know he has to feel terrible to labled a goon and in the middle of this!
I cant argue against that point. I had a lot of respect for Chaney. Had being the key word there.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:41 am

I have a great deal of respect, still, for Chaney. Remember what towns we're talking about here? How about the "fans" spitting on the down player? Not even that town a couple of hundred miles to the west are this bad, no matter how hard they try to claim how big and bad they are :shock: I wouldn't be surprised Chaney steps down, but yes, I can understand why a coach given the way officials have lost control of the games completely would resort to this type of player behavior. How about within our own conference when a coach was suspended because of OUR leagues zebras? Doesn't begin to compare, in my opinion, to what happened when the Dave Winfield led Minnesota Gophers mugged and stomped another player. Hard fouls are a part of the college game and players are hurt because of them everyday. I doubt this would even be a story if it was anybody besides Chaney, or a Nolan Richardson, Jerry Tarkanian, Bobby Knight personality.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:54 am

...and I don't mean to come across as anything; just want to point out Bryant was playing DEFENSE and got in the way during a layup. How many times do you think it's great to see somebody take a charge? If anything, I'm more impressed with Chaney taking himself out, especially given how much ESPN rags on him.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:54 pm

John Chaney has just been suspended for the rest of the regular season

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:58 pm

...and that takes care of any further discussions :roll:

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:55 pm

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.as ... 769606.htm

Just found this article. He may (or may not be back) for the postseason. Man, I love that attitude! Beats the heck out of just sitting there and letting somebody allow the other team to run over you.

UMfaninkazoo
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UMfaninkazoo » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:09 am

Out for the postseason.....Stupid of him to do but in some ways I respect John Chaney.....I remember reading about how he kept the media away from MarK Macon his freshman year and how Macon tthanked him for keeping the pressure off him.....or how he and John Thompson were so anti Prop 48.....Prop 48 gave a kid such a bad stigma....

grizbeer
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizbeer » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:02 pm

Cat Grad I am in complete agreement with you (for a while I thought I was the only one who thought like this :shock: ).

IMO what Chaney did was retaliation for what St. Johns was doing. St. Johns was getting away with it, so they weren't going to stop. Now maybe their coach and the A-10 refs will pay more attention to the game.

For those who want Chaney fired or sued, what about if one of the Temple players had their arm broken by the illegal picks and rough play? Should St. Johns coach be sued or fired? What if he just hurt his arm instead of breaking it? How about a mild concussion, a broken tooth, or split lip? Should Chaney still be sued or fired?

As far as the goon comment it sounds like all of St. Johns players were goons, and coached to be that way. Chaney said well my guys out on the floor don't play that way, but I have a couple who can play that way and I am going to use them. I am sure he never meant for the player to get his arm broken (nobody even knew it was broken until the next day), but he wanted to get St. Johns and the refs attention that his team wouldn't be pushed around or intimidated. Sounds like it worked, I'm sure this incident will drastically change the way St. Johns and other teams play for a while.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:20 pm

I bothers me when we see kids being told to control themselves when the officials let a game get out of hand one way or the other; I'm afraid when we have games as poorly officiated as not just our conference but even the "majors" we're going to see a baseball type brawl. Then whose fault is it? The kids? The coach? Sure won't be the commissioners office in this league :wink: I think Chaney was just defending his kids.