Street & Smith's Mag lists top 10 womens bball progams

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:22 am

Nick wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Nick wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:Whoop-dee-doo!!! \:D/
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Robin Selvig is the best thing that's ever happened to any program of any type in the state of Montana. He's a legend in his own time and I only hope that when he leaves someone will be there to fill half the shoes.
Yeah, but who honestly cares about women's basketball?

Selvig is definitely a hell of a coach, but I would argue that Denny Washington is the best thing to ever happen to the University of Montana athletic program.
Wow the hypocracy among Cat fans is unbelievable. You say to Griz fans there are other sports than football and say that's all we talk about.......but who cares about women's basketball? Epitome of bandwagoners -- look in the mirror.

Correction -- The best thing that's ever happened to the Montana football program is not Denny Washington..........it's the Montana State Bobcats
Robin Selvig ... GREAT COACH/GREAT PROGRAM ... there NICK. We gave you your props. Griz envy though I think not? Check the past history on this board and Womens Grizzly links just don't show up on here.
I know Football and Womens bball is the only thing Griz fans discuss so I would look in the mirror when I spout off the word bandwagoners. In fact, check out the last posts of the last time Volleyball/Tennis/Track was talked about on EGRIZ? When you find them, send us all over here at Bobcat Nation the link (pre dated to today's date of course ;) ). Deal?

Nick
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Nick » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:55 pm

So really Cardiac we are in agreement on the same level here. All I meant was Cat fans cannot simply sit back and say that Griz fans only speak of select sports when the fact is 1.) not entirely true and 2.) reflected by the exact same attitude from MSU supporters.

The only discussion for women's athletics at Bobcat Nation stems from a volleyball program that is very solid. You cannot say that no one cares about women's athletics when you do because your girls are doing well. I know for a fact that if the Lady Cats had a winning program you would be all over it. Women's basketball is not discussed here due to the fact that you do not have a winning program, so that's why I say look in the mirror. There were posts over the fact that the UM basketball program has hit its lowest attendance numbers since the late 1970s -- and there were many allegations from there that all Griz fans care about are a few sports. This is coming from fans who only sell-out Martel Field every two years when the Griz are in town. I know there are a few Griz band wagoners but I see just as many from Bozeman -- I know you get my point by now so I'll quit beating a dead horse.

There are still actually more posts still on the men's basketball threads at egriz than women (2278 vs 377 as of today), and the men almost always outdraw the women except for last year. Griz men have more hardware from the Big Sky than most in the conference, and from what I can see there is still great tradition in the program that was once a "basketball school."

Out of curiosity (not smack) I would be interested in seeing UM and MSU's attendance numbers for men's basketball this year. I can't seem to find them in the box scores at montanagrizzlies.com and I couldn't even find box scores for MSU's games at the bobcatathletic site.
Last edited by Nick on Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FTC

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:09 pm

Nick wrote:So really Cardiac we are in agreement on the same level here. All I meant was Cat fans cannot simply sit back and say that Griz fans only speak of select sports when the fact is 1.) not entirely true and 2.) reflected by the exact same attitude from MSU supporters.

The only discussion for women's athletics at Bobcat Nation stems from a volleyball program that is very solid. You cannot say that no one cares about women's athletics when you do because your girls are doing well. I know for a fact that if the Lady Cats had a winning program you would be all over it. Women's basketball is not discussed here due to the fact that you do not have a winning program, so that's why I say look in the mirror. There were posts over the fact that the UM basketball program has hit its lowest attendance numbers since the late 1970s -- and there were many allegations from there that all Griz fans care about are a few sports. This is coming from fans who only sell-out Martel Field every two years when the Griz are in town. I know there are a few Griz band wagoners but I see just as many from Bozeman -- I know you get my point by now so I'll quit beating a dead horse.

There are still actually more posts still on the men's basketball threads at egriz than women (2278 vs 377 as of today), and the men almost always outdraw the women except for last year. Griz men have more hardware from the Big Sky than most in the conference, and from what I can see there is still great tradition in the program that was once a "basketball school."

Out of curiosity (not smack) I would be interested in seeing UM and MSU's attendance numbers for men's basketball this year. I can't seem to find them in the box scores at montanagrizzlies.com and I couldn't even find box scores for MSU's games at the bobcatathletic site.
I think a big reason why other sports don't get the 'HIGH VISIBILITY' that football/basketball do is that a lot of us only have the ability to follow/watch/listen to them on TV and the radio. I have tried to go to as many volleyball games I can when I'm in Bozeman for the football games. MSU needs to make sure they try and schedule those for the nights the football team is in town etc. I like all sports and love talking about all sports, but the ones I talk about more are the ones that I get more exposure too probably (not wins or losses). I was never a track athlete so I don't have a lot to add to those discussions.

I am also wondering too why the basketball at both schools (numbers wise is down)???? Is it the atmosphere?/Announcers etc.? I remember going to the basketball games when I was in college and the atmosphere was just intense and the house was packed!! (89-93).

P.S - the Bozeman crowds in football are getting bigger and bigger each year. Next year we break the attendance record. And there were 3-4 sellouts last year for football if I do remember right (ticket wise). Our tailgating is so good though that a TON of fans don't come in right away. So I wouldn't say bandwagoners as much as I would say we have fans that love to PARTY/TAILGATE.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:21 pm

I think Cardiac is correct in that most of our grads/fans return to Bozo for more than just the ballgames; besides, it's hard to get more in a stadium than we have seating for. Just my thoughts. Many families make a decision as to who gets to go to the game, who watches the kids, who goes shopping, fishing, visits relatives, babysits the drunks, etc.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:26 pm

I know our little ones could care less whether they're watching a volleyball game or a football game. As much as I dislike the Fizzlie crowd, I think Selvig has done a great job. Mick seems to be doing a pretty good job getting the local people coming out to watch the local kids play, for what it's worth.

rtb

Post by rtb » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:30 pm

Bobcat Attendance records are here just below the schedule

http://www.msubobcats.com/stats.php?sid ... amcume.htm

grizbeer
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizbeer » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:53 pm

Nick wrote: There are still actually more posts still on the men's basketball threads at egriz than women (2278 vs 377 as of today), and the men almost always outdraw the women except for last year. Griz men have more hardware from the Big Sky than most in the conference, and from what I can see there is still great tradition in the program that was once a "basketball school."

Nick according to the site listed below MSU has drawn 28,802 people for 9 home games (3200/per game). According to the box scores on Montanagrizzlies.com UM has drawn 28,379 people for 9 games (3153/game). MSU has a whopping lead of 423 people (47/game).

UM figures include the Griz/Cat game, and MSU still has that game to bring up the average, but UM has yet to play a home game when the football team wasn't playing, or the students were in session, so you should expect to see attendance increase for UM. Also Thursday will be Monte night for the Griz, so I would expect this to nearly offset the Griz/Cat game attendance for the Cats. By the end of the season I would expect both teams attendance to be close to 3500.

BTW, the Lady Griz have drawn 34,818 in 10 games, an average of 3482. The PSU game Thursday drew 3915, and the EWU game last Saturday drew 4420.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:57 pm

Dispite what the box score said the Lady Griz / Eastern Washington game had more butts in the seats than the Mens Bobcat / Griz of a few weeks earlier!

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:05 pm

CelticCat wrote:Nick is proud of his program and is posting their accomplishment, which should be applauded, not made fun of. Women's basketball will never reach the popularity of men's basketball as a whole, but I know several people at UM who only attent women's games. Some people love women's basketball, don't ask me why. And the Griz have a great program especially considering we are in the Big Sky.

Both of you need to have some respect, but when he posts an article on something he cares about, and you respond with "That's great but who gives a hoot", of course he's going to get a little defensive.
Point taken, Celtic. However, he's not going to get much respect when he comes over to BobcatNation and posts an article that in no way involves Bobcat Athletics. Keep it over at esugar where they can all tell each other how great they are. In a way, posting this article was just a backhanded form of smack that says, "see how much better we are than you, etc..."

GO CATS GO!!!

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:23 pm

Cat Grad wrote:Mick seems to be doing a pretty good job getting the local people coming out to watch the local kids play, for what it's worth.
What games have you been attending??? Okay, maybe Dissly's family comes out to watch him play, but other than that... Our attendence has been steadily declining ever since the mid-90's.

Last year I took a friend to a league game. She used to cheerlead for the Bobcats, but hadn't been back to a game in a few years. She was just amazed at how different the atmosphere was compared to when she had been cheerleading, which was only a few years before.

Our attendence and crowds are not a good thing right now, people... :(

GO CATS GO!!!

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:53 pm

Bozo: This is the college board. People post things about each other all the time, same on Egriz. It's a way to keep up with your main rival. You're just showing your Griz envy :D Don't you guys got a cross country team to talk about I hear it's "Big Time in Bozo."

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:15 pm

BozoneCat wrote: Point taken, Celtic. However, he's not going to get much respect when he comes over to BobcatNation and posts an article that in no way involves Bobcat Athletics. Keep it over at esugar where they can all tell each other how great they are. In a way, posting this article was just a backhanded form of smack that says, "see how much better we are than you, etc..."
The interesting thing is that as far as I can tell, this has not been posted by anyone on egriz. Oh yeah, and by the way, I care about women's basketball, as do quite a few others at both UM and MSU, as judging by attendance relative to other schools.

Nick
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Nick » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:55 pm

Bozone if one can't talk about other colleges on the college sports board what is there to talk about?

I figured in a 3200 average for MSU as well. How often do the Cats play Wyoming in Bozeman? I imagine a rivalry like that would fill the stands. I would think there would have been larger attendance numbers for MSU earlier in the season when they were atop the league. I think numbers will pick up for both schools.

I was very dissapointed at the Griz-Cat attendance numbers in Missoula.....But that's been of course echoed throughout the state.

I did not post the subject of the Street & Smith's article on egriz because I figured someone already had, I didn't even bother looking. It's posted now. An article like that (to me) is so impressive to be listed with EVERY NCAA program (ahead of Duke, Penn State, etc). Not only is that kind of recognition good for the University of Montana but good for the state of Montana as well.

A little off topic -- what's the deal on the stadium expansion in Bozeman? I thought they were re-doing the endzone seating (and as someone who has sat there I can tell you it's absolutely necessary). I remember the security at Bobcat Stadium was very cautious, but it also took about 20 minutes to get into the stadium. I don't know if that has any relation to the people that stay outside to tailgate (and I give Bozo props for having a nice and open tailgate setup). Is there any word on seat expansion otherwise? If MSU has a 14,000+ average would that be extra motivation? How big of an effect do you think it has on in-state recruiting? (23,000 vs 12 or 13,000)

FTC

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:58 pm

Regarding the stadium expansion...it will get done, but not until the debt from the first renovation is paid off. Fields is of the opinion that you don't spend money that you don't have, which is probably a very smart move!

The Cats don't play Wyoming in Bozeman in mens BB because Wyoming refuses to come here...it's either in Laramie or a neutral site.